USMLE How much improvement is Possible

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc2be245

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hoping to get some help on this. I just took NBME 13 and got a 171 converted score. Im still about 9 - 10 weeks out from Step 1 Date, but how much can i realistically improve by? I haven't finished class yet and will start dedicated prep in about 3 weeks, for a total of 7 weeks dedicated study.

Members don't see this ad.

It's really hard to say without knowing your background. How familiar are you with FA, Pathoma, Sketchy, Qbanks, etc? How did you perform MS1/2?

Thanks for the reply. Performed fairly well during MS1/MS2. I was an A/B student. In MS2 modules I was avg between 85-92% on exams. I skimmed FA through the year, used Pathoma with my Pathology course and am about 500 questions into UWorld. I am also a huge fan of sketchy, however i did forget some images and am planning on rewatching all the videos.

This NBME was just a "where am I at" but i didn't expect to score that low. I am thinking it's because I haven't looked at all the sources in a condensed amount of time, but I would like to hear your input.

Thanks for the reply. Performed fairly well during MS1/MS2. I was an A/B student. In MS2 modules I was avg between 85-92% on exams. I skimmed FA through the year, used Pathoma with my Pathology course and am about 500 questions into UWorld. I am also a huge fan of sketchy, however i did forget some images and am planning on rewatching all the videos.

This NBME was just a "where am I at" but i didn't expect to score that low. I am thinking it's because I haven't looked at all the sources in a condensed amount of time, but I would like to hear your input.
Not a problem. How're you performing on UW?

Members don't see this ad :)
It's impossible to really say how much one person can improve. I've heard stories of people going from 160-->269 in 6 weeks, but have also heard of 160--> 205. The best thing you can do is hit it hard and leave nothing on the table. Look at your score report and focus on your weaknesses because you have definite knowledge gaps sitting at 170.

Reactions: 1 user
Currently sitting at 55%
Got it. Overall, I think you can expect a large bump if you work hard and efficiently. My baseline was 194 and I jumped to 230 after just 2 weeks of condensed review. I had been doing bros all year, pathoma a couple times, most sketchy, about 70% through UW first pass.

NBMEs are just so unforgiving that taking one without a proper (and relatively recent) pass of the material, it can greatly affect your score.

9-10 weeks is a ton of time. You can break 240 if you put in the right kind of effort, probably even 250. But as the person above said, it's hard to say for sure. Might as well aim high and work your tail off, gauging your progress with more practice exams.

Reactions: 1 user
Just give it your utmost effort so you don't regret whatever score you get!

10 weeks is a ton of time, and personally I would be more worried about burning out towards the last few weeks. I had 5 weeks of dedicated. I was exhausted by week 4!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile