How much increase to expect from Diagnostics???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blablablabla

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey people, im trying to get some insights in on this topic here as ive noticed a lot of people are interested in knowing this as some people are starting the MCAT courses. Thanks!

1. How much did you improve from the baseline diagnostic?

2. Do you feel that is what you expected, less than expected, or more than you expected to improve?

3. Was there something else you feel you shouldve done to improve your score?

Members don't see this ad.

I improved several points from my diagnostic of 26. They don't want to have to give you your money back, so the diagnostic is usually really hard, especiallly since you're not used to questions in that format.
To improve my score I would have started studying earlier. Studying eight hours a day for a month is not the same as studying a few hours a day starting a few months before the test...

I think that improvement is totally variable. I took Princeton Review and they said their average increase from the diag score was 10 points. Most people told me that the last diagnostic score tends to be fairly indicative of your score because, at least for Princeton Review, we used AAMC-issued MCATs. People tended to either go up or down about 1-2 points.

I agree that test companies tend to make their first diag test hard, and plus, you haven't studied at all by that point, so people tend to score fairly low; I did, as did my friends.

But just to illustrate how variable it is, my roommate took the test and she improved 8 points and went up 1 point from her last diag. I improved 15 points, and I went up 6 points from my last diagnostic score. And yes, I was completely caught off-guard by that sort of jump. I have no idea how that happened or why, but it just goes to show that you may get dozens of people's opinions (and believe me, I did), and it still may not tell you how you personally will do on the test.

In terms of studying, your study habits are your study habits. I took the Princeton Review class and devoted significant amounts of time to studying (which basically is what it took to finish all the homework that they assign you). But the one word of advice I have is *don't* study the day before the exam. If you haven't learned it yet, you won't in one day and the break from studying the MCAT was one of the best things I did. Do something relaxing to take your mind off the test. Be sure to get out of your house/apt, so you don't sit there thinking about it.

It's a rough test, but good luck with it!

First diagnostic (w/ TPR): 30
First AAMC PT: 34
Highest score achieved on practice tests: 39
Actual MCAT: 37

Members don't see this ad :)
it depends on how seriously you take the diagnostic -- I went into without having reviewed anything, and didn't take the questions seriously...

Kaplan diagnostic -- 25
actual test -- 36

mashce said:
They don't want to have to give you your money back, so the diagnostic is usually really hard, especiallly since you're not used to questions in that format.

I never noticed this.. I took my kaplan diag today and it felt easier then the sample princeton tests. I got an all time high of 14 on the princeton review but a 21 on the kaplan diag.

I fell into the TPR average. 25 on the first diag. 35 on the real thing.