How much is the deposit to hold your seat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bonvivant07

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,

How much is the deposit to hold your seat at a particular school? Is it uniform among all schools? I know NYCPM is 500 for last year.

Also, how long do they give you to send in the deposit? Lets say I am waiting to hear back from another school before deciding, can I just email, letter, call the first school and ask for an extension? Thanks!
 
NYCPM was a 1000. I started in the January class, so im not sure if its different for fall or not. And I definately cant help w/ the timeline b/c when you apply to the Jan program here everything w/ app cycle is accelerated. I scheduled my interviews for all schools at end of nov/beginning of dec and so after I had my nycpm acceptance I had about 4 days to get my deposit in. So it would be very different for the fall program!
 
Western was 1000. I don't really remember how long we got to send it in. I think we were supposed to reply within two weeks of being accepted and send the deposit money in at the same time.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Seat deposits are real since no school wants an appreciable amount of last minute no-shows for a finite number of incoming pod students. However, the short term deposit deadlines you get fed with acceptance letters are essentially a tactic to get you to cancel other interviews and commit to a pod school. Don't sweat it too much. The selectivity of each pod school varies year to year based on applicant pool geographic prefs and gpa/mcat strength, but if a school actually passed up a good gpa/mcat/personality student candidate because it took them until Nov 29th and not the "deadline" Nov 8th to mail their deposit, then it's the school's loss.

Unless you apply late in the cycle (ie from approx now until first day of classes), you are probably fine sending in your seat deposit whenever you finish your interviews, think things through, and pick the pod school of your choice based on where you get accepted.