How Much Is Too Much

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mikey421

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well I got into PCOM and just recently found out I got into Drexel. Drexel costs more (man does it cost alot) and I already paid a $2,000 deposit to PCOM.

How much is too much for an MD... (thoughts?)

Members don't see this ad.

WOW! PCOM is spendy so I can't imagine how much Drexel must be.

For me there is no limit to what I am willing to pay, and call me crazy but I probably would pay more to go to an MD school (its not justified, but I can't help it).

I think the bottom line is- How much does it matter to you to be an MD vs a DO?

depends on if you want to be a walking punchline or not

Members don't see this ad :)
no, no second look i like them both just with DO schools there are so many more hurdles to go through, i guess i'm just upset about that 2k nonrefundable deposit

no, no second look i like them both just with DO schools there are so many more hurdles to go through, i guess i'm just upset about that 2k nonrefundable deposit

2k is nothing, I've spent more on a night of cocaine and hookers.

Well I got into PCOM and just recently found out I got into Drexel. Drexel costs more (man does it cost alot) and I already paid a $2,000 deposit to PCOM.

Nonrefundible deposit?

Go talk to JPHazleton, I just started... He's graduating from PCOM I believe this year. He can help you out, a lot. PCOM is a great school so I don't see why so much anomosity (sp?) towards the degree it offers...

From a PM, I don't think he'll get too mad for me bragging it up:

"PCOMers are in every hospital in philly and run a few departments as well. Penn, jeff, Temple, Hahneman...we are in every department and residency program in the city

anyone who thinks they are at a disadvantage by being a DO doesnt see how it works in Philly. Of course it may not be like that everywhere, but DOs are far from lesser docs in this city."

Just because I'm posting this, don't everyone harass him.

And:

"PCOM has the #1 osteopathic gen surg residency in the country (largest and most competitive) AND it is the only surgical program in the country accredited by BOTH the AOA and ACGME. Thats means PCOM Gen Surg residents can apply for ANY fellowship (allopathic or osteopathic) and gain full licensure and board certification."

Just some food for thought. Although, of course, Hahnemann/Drexel School of Medicine is quite well known.

Nonrefundible deposit?

I understand that's pretty common amongst DO schools. They know that a lot of applicants use them as "safety" schools, so they demand huge, non-refundable deposits that are due very shortly after they extend you an offer. Often, these deposits are due well before many people hear back from MD schools. I figure it's an attempt to dissuade this sort of behavior. If I were running a DO school, I'd want people who wanted to go there because of the philosophy, not because they couldn't get their "first choice."

OP, this is a decision only you can make. The debt will not be forever; it will be paid off. Consider it an investment, if you really want to go to Drexel. If not, and if you will be happy with a DO, by all means go to PCOM. Just as with any decision between two schools, you've got to go with your gut.

I understand that's pretty common amongst DO schools. They know that a lot of applicants use them as "safety" schools, so they demand huge, non-refundable deposits that are due very shortly after they extend you an offer. Often, these deposits are due well before many people hear back from MD schools. I figure it's an attempt to dissuade this sort of behavior. If I were running a DO school, I'd want people who wanted to go there because of the philosophy, not because they couldn't get their "first choice."

That just plain sucks a$$.

Having long since decided to apply purely to osteopathic programs and now having gone through the cycle....this is indeed the one thing that probably bugs me the most about the whole ordeal.

Everything worked out with me getting to go where I wanted to with a single deposit but having met people with 3+ deposits of $1,000+(all of which are non-refundable) it does make you wonder if some adcoms don't take into consideration just how expensive it is to apply to med school.

I don't see this changing anytime soon though.

Members don't see this ad :)

Imagine: This policy would also screw people that only apply to osteopathic schools.

many great docs are d.o.s and many great docs are m.d.s from foreign countries. but both face more obstacles matching in many u.s. residencies than u.s. m.d.s. (esp non-primary care).

unless you are really into the d.o. philosophy, i think you will regret not giving up the 2k for an m.d. simply for the practical reason that it could make things tougher for you.

Imagine: This policy would also screw people that only apply to osteopathic schools.

Oh, I'm aware, and that stinks big time. I think it's a crummy policy, don't get me wrong. . .I just don't think the practice sprung from a desire to screw their own students. I think it's a poor way of dealing with what has become a big problem for a lot of DO schools.

i think it's ok for the schools to require huge non-refundable deposits. you're playing them - why can't they play you?

You're in pre-allo. What kind of answers to this question do you expect here?? Pre-allo students are more anti-DO than basically anyone else out there. (Or are you a troll?) !

Go talk to JPHazleton, I just started... He's graduating from PCOM I believe this year. He can help you out, a lot. PCOM is a great school so I don't see why so much anomosity (sp?) towards the degree it offers...

anyone who thinks they are at a disadvantage by being a DO doesnt see how it works in Philly. Of course it may not be like that everywhere, but DOs are far from lesser docs in this city.

"PCOM has the #1 osteopathic gen surg residency in the country (largest and most competitive)

PCOM is a great school w/one of the best reputations for DO schools. But JP would say that they have the #1 gen surg residency in the country because that's where he matched, so don't take it all as law.
(Not saying it isn't, not saying it is, but that kind of assessment is somewhat subjective.) Either way, if a school has a #1 residency in anything, that alone isn't really a reason to choose it.

2k is nothing, I've spent more on a night of cocaine and hookers.

Cocaine and hookers my a**. You sure are feisty lately aren't you....it's going to be an interesting four years Penny;)

so did you go to second look or not?

No, some stupid girl said to my boss "oh thats 2nd look weekend" (While I had said it was a family emergency) needless to say I couldnt get off work without being fired......

Yeah.....He needs the 2k to pay for a better education to learn when "HE" is being asked a question!!!:cool:

No, some stupid girl said to my boss "oh thats 2nd look weekend" (While I had said it was a family emergency) needless to say I couldnt get off work without being fired......

lol rough!

lol rough!
Yeah oh well.....I guess Ill meet everyone at the closest bar!!

Anything happen at 2nd look that was worth it.....(other than all that bs they tell you to pick their school)?

Yeah oh well.....I guess Ill meet everyone at the closest bar!!

Anything happen at 2nd look that was worth it.....(other than all that bs they tell you to pick their school)?

other than blistering heat and scantily clad 2nd years?...

nope. :cool: