how much is too much?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tuftsgcap

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

After long, careful consideration, I have recently decided to pursue a career in medicine.

I am enrolled in chemistry and physics at Tufts through their continuing education department.

I am aware of and considered the formal post-baccalaureate pre-med program, but I may apply for a masters within the year, and simply taking the required pre-med classes on my own has made more sense for me.

My question is whether you all think it would be unwise for me to also enroll in Biology this semester.

As I have been out of college for some time, I am interested in completing my pre-requisites in the most efficient manner possible so that I can achieve my goals before I get too old.

My thinking is that I could take Chem/Phys/Bio this year, O-chem in the summer, MCAT in August and apply by October (MCAT scores from August test date are available in late September).

As far as extra-curriculars, I have health policy research experience, as well as an EMT license.

Any thoughts, suggestions are appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

If you can, take O-Chem earlier and the MCAT as well. The main rationale behind this is the sooner you apply to medical school, the better. You want Rolling Admissions to be working for you, not against you.

Hi all,

After long, careful consideration, I have recently decided to pursue a career in medicine.

I am enrolled in chemistry and physics at Tufts through their continuing education department.

I am aware of and considered the formal post-baccalaureate pre-med program, but I may apply for a masters within the year, and simply taking the required pre-med classes on my own has made more sense for me.

My question is whether you all think it would be unwise for me to also enroll in Biology this semester.

As I have been out of college for some time, I am interested in completing my pre-requisites in the most efficient manner possible so that I can achieve my goals before I get too old.

My thinking is that I could take Chem/Phys/Bio this year, O-chem in the summer, MCAT in August and apply by October (MCAT scores from August test date are available in late September).

As far as extra-curriculars, I have health policy research experience, as well as an EMT license.

Any thoughts, suggestions are appreciated.

Let your performance in these important courses be your guiding factor as to how fast or how slowly you get things accomplished. If you find that the heavy load is not allowing you to achieve the grades that you need, then cut back.

You need excellent grades (no grade less than B+) and you need a solid knowledge base for the MCAT. I usually advise against summer organic because it moves so fast that you don't get the depth of knowledge that you need even if you earn an A in the course.

Since the MCAT is a test of application of knowledge, you definitely want to make sure that you have plenty of practice prep for this imporatant test in addition to a solid knowldege base. If it takes you one year extra to ensure your success, then that extra year was worth it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Only you know how much you can take on and still do well. You might want to check out the Non-Traditional Forum and the Post-Bac Forum. Anyway, I quit my job and took all of Chem and Bio (with labs) over a summer, and then took Physics and Orgo over the following year. The only other thing I did was volunteer work. Most of the people I spoke with (and advisors) strongly advised against taking Chem 101/102 & Bio 101/102 + labs over one summer, but I thought I'd be able to handle it, and I did (all As). If you think you'll be fine with adding Bio, and want to get the pre-reqs done asap, go for it. Just don't do it if you'll be biting off more than you can chew. Good luck.

The problem with taking so many of these classes simultaneously is that they all have labs. The lab hours add up really quickly and you might find it difficult to keep up. Unless you're really motivated and good at time management, I'd caution against it. Two lab classes should probably be the limit.

2 labs classes drain you. Specially if you have a 3 hour lecture right before it.
I have 3 hours long chem lecture 10 min break then 3:30 hours long Chem lab. it suxs. I would advise you to take it slow. You said you have been out of school for a while and you need good grades.

BIO 13 + PHYSICS 1 0R 11 + CHEM 1 OR 11 with labs in a bit much. I would take 2 at a time. The sciences at Tufts are an insane amount of work if you want a grade of B or better you don't want to put that much pressure on yourself. I know very smart people who studied their butts off for bio 13 and ended up with Cs, those 3 courses are weed outs. Chem and physics is a lot of work as well, between labs, psets I don't think you can find the time. I would take 2 instead of 3 sciences. 2 is definitely doable.