How much money should I save before medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adcolem44

Reaction score
I'm in my gap year prior to starting medical school, currently working two jobs, and I was wondering how much I should realistically be shooting to have saved up before I start med school next fall. I don't have any debt from undergrad, but I'm 100% on my own for paying my way through med school. No help from parents, other family members, nada. I know I'm going to need to take out loans for tuition and rent/living expenses, but I'm concerned on how much of a nest egg I should have for like: car repairs, places to stay during rotations in my 3rd and 4th year, traveling for rotations and residency auditions, board exams, residency applications, food and gas...
I know a lot of that stuff is far off but I've been working full time since I was 14 and the idea of not having any income at all for the next four years scares me a little bit, and I just want to be 100% prepared.

Members don't see this ad.

Just save as much $ as you can. Even when you get a Federal Plus loan to cover your living expenses, there will always be additional unforseen expenses which will materialize. You will particularly realize these during your 4th year, since you may be rotating in different cities, and you will have lodging and travel expenses to cover. In addition, the unforseen expenses do not stop when you graduate either. Contingent upon where you end up matching, you will need to pay for all moving/relocation expenses as well.

Reactions: 1 users