How much does an SMP increase your chances of getting accepted into DO medical school (if you get at least a 3.5+)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coffeeemed

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I keep hearing the "high risk high reward" phrase regarding SMP because I know if you do poorly, med school is out of the picture. I got into a DO SMP with an interview linkage. My "upward trend" is about 62 science credits of a 3.6 GPA. My overall sGPA is a 3.0 and cGPA is a 3.1. I have not taken MCAT yet (late July) but am applying this cycle to only DO's.

Does doing well in an SMP (3.5 +) significantly increase your chances of an acceptance or is it basically the same as doing well in a post-bacc or having an upward trend?

Also, is my upward trend good enough for DO because I know ideally it should be a 3.7+

Members don't see this ad.

It will all depends on your MCAT score. I will suggest you to study hard for MCAT will compensate you low GPA if you hit 510+. At the same time take some science classes even at community college. Do you have any pre-reqs of C- or below? If so retake those. Bring you sGPA able 3.2.
You need guaranteed SMP linkage program not just get into interview. Don't waste your money on SMP instead focus on MCAT and post-bacc.
All the best!!!

Reactions: 2 users
You want a 3.8 in the upward trend to really stand out (Ideally 4.0). As for significantly increasing your chances of acceptance, I don't think it will increase them much just based on the SMP. You need a solid application paired with a solid SMP GPA. I would be aiming for 3.8 SMP GPA (3.6 as a bare minimum) if your linkage does not guarantee acceptance based on performance in the SMP.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I keep hearing the "high risk high reward" phrase regarding SMP because I know if you do poorly, med school is out of the picture. I got into a DO SMP with an interview linkage. My "upward trend" is about 62 science credits of a 3.6 GPA. My overall sGPA is a 3.0 and cGPA is a 3.1. I have not taken MCAT yet (late July) but am applying this cycle to only DO's.

Does doing well in an SMP (3.5 +) significantly increase your chances of an acceptance or is it basically the same as doing well in a post-bacc or having an upward trend?

Also, is my upward trend good enough for DO because I know ideally it should be a 3.7+
It does at my school! SMPs are the back door into med school, as long as you have a decent MCAT score.

Reactions: 1 user
It will all depends on your MCAT score. I will suggest you to study hard for MCAT will compensate you low GPA if you hit 510+. At the same time take some science classes even at community college. Do you have any pre-reqs of C- or below? If so retake those. Bring you sGPA able 3.2.
You need guaranteed SMP linkage program not just get into interview. Don't waste your money on SMP instead focus on MCAT and post-bacc.
All the best!!!
Would an SMP with guaranteed admission linkage would be tougher to get into extracurricular-wise, since they’re giving you a chance at admission straight out of the SMP?

Would an SMP with guaranteed admission linkage would be tougher to get into extracurricular-wise, since they’re giving you a chance at admission straight out of the SMP?
Nothing is impossible. I went thru SMP route and it's doable. My story was different why I went thru SMP than someone else. Schools are getting tougher and tougher every year. I am an OMS3 and I'm glad I went SMP route to fulfill my dream.
They give you a interview option doesn't mean you will get into their medical school.
When you are in SMP especially this happened when I was there all they looked at my SMP gpa and MCAT score.
All the best!!!

Reactions: 1 users
I did an SMP with an interview only and was accepted to that same school and another med school where last year I wasn’t accepted anywhere. Mileage my very and circumstances may differ, but I’m grateful I did it

Reactions: 1 user