How much more competitive can applicants get?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shunsui

❀❁❃✿✾❁❀
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've always wondered how insane the 'requirements' will be in say 2040. Will there be a point when the competition plateaus? With rising MCAT median every year and more and more gap years being taken with more hours/experiences, what do you think the 'average' applicant will look like 20 years down the line?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think it will necessarily be more competitive in terms of stats, as academia and tests are adjusted to meet the current climate. There's only so much a 22-year-old can be expected to know upon applying. I do, however, think that shifts in areas of need will occur. Imagine, hypothetically, that the next wave of our population is younger, a cure for cancer has been developed, and more people are physically integrating with technology. Someone with clinical experience in palliative care might be overshadowed by an applicant with experience in robotics. That's just a theory and probably a more 2100-type projection. Interesting to think about.

• Hmm
Reactions: 7 users
I've always wondered how insane the 'requirements' will be in say 2040. Will there be a point when the competition plateaus? With rising MCAT median every year and more and more gap years being taken with more hours/experiences, what do you think the 'average' applicant will look like 20 years down the line?
Interesting post!!!

Rising MCAT really isn't a concern, because if that ever really gets out of hand, they can just recalibrate the test to bring it back in line.

Gap years, on the other hand, have a long way to go. Top MBA programs already almost universally require several years of work experience to be competitive, so there is no reason that cannot happen with medical school. Not because it is necessary to be a good doctor, but because it is a natural progression of the EC arms race.

In such a scenario, either BS/MD programs fade away, or they become even more competitive than they are currently because they become the only means of direct entry into medical school. I cannot conceive of "required" gap years ever going beyond 2-3 years, because at that point you approach diminishing returns from post grad experiences, plus you risk losing academic knowledge from UG, which would just make the first year or two of med school that much more difficult. Just my uninformed speculation!! :)

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Eventually, everything will be beat out by AI and so there should be no such worry that the competitiveness of applicants will increase infinitely, when there won't be any applicants

• Hmm
  • Dislike
Reactions: 2 users
Everything has diminishing returns. GPA comes strongly to mind here. And when the MCAT gets out of hand they'll reset it like they did in 2015. Competitiveness may get so strong the gap year may become standard rather than the ~50/50 distribution it is now.

David D MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 5 users
By 2040, you need 20 gap years :)

• Haha
I am going to posit a contrary hypothesis. (Cue Debbie Downer sound effect: womp . . . womp . . .) The nation is going to move toward socialized medicine. Working conditions and salaries for doctors will decline over time. This will cause some people, who would have become doctors under current conditions, to move to other professions. As a result, the competitiveness of the applicant pool will plateau or even decline over time.

Last edited:
  • Dislike
Reactions: 12 users
what do you think the 'average' applicant will look like 20 years down the line?
should be able to work with robots, Drs diagnosis knowledge will be taken over by AI, hence medical school admission criteria, curriculum, residency etc. will transition accordingly.

I am going to posit a contrary hypothesis. (Cue Debbie Downer sound effect: womp . . . womp. . .). The nation is going to move toward socialized medicine. Working conditions and salaries for doctors will decline over time. This will cause some people, who would have become doctors under current conditions, to move to other professions. As a result, the competitiveness of the applicant pool will plateau or even decline over time.
This is certainly one possibility. Another is that, along with socializing medicine, medical school also becomes entirely funded by government. At that point, competitiveness would only go through the roof, regardless of any theoretical limits on physician income. Moreover, there will always be a market for people willing to pay for concierge care outside any socialized system, so there will always be the possibility to earn more if you are good enough (either at providing care or at marketing yourself).

Reactions: 1 users
I am going to posit a contrary hypothesis. (Cue Debbie Downer sound effect: womp . . . womp . . .) The nation is going to move toward socialized medicine. Working conditions and salaries for doctors will decline over time. This will cause some people, who would have become doctors under current conditions, to move to other professions. As a result, the competitiveness of the applicant pool will plateau or even decline over time.

I agree to some extent. However, more than the impact of the move towards socialized medicine that is going to make working conditions and salaries for doctors decline over time, It is the corporatization of medicine from the undue influence of large hospital systems and insurers that is killing the working environment for doctors.

Hospital systems are having large administrators get huge salaries and impose working restrictions on physicians.

Insurers are making it tougher for individual practices to survive with unfair contracts which are being doled out to their hospital system partners.

Reactions: 6 users
I agree to some extent. However, more than the impact of the move towards socialized medicine that is going to make working conditions and salaries for doctors decline over time, It is the corporatization of medicine from the undue influence of large hospital systems and insurers that is killing the working environment for doctors.

Hospital systems are having large administrators get huge salaries and impose working restrictions on physicians.

Insurers are making it tougher for individual practices to survive with unfair contracts which are being doled out to their hospital system partners.
Definitely, but it is still a good, secure, relatively high paying job, even with those changes, so it's reasonable to expect demand to continue to far outstrip supply for the foreseeable future, particularly as the population continues to age.

I am going to post a double-down Debbie-Downer hypothesis: The nation will move further into profits-based medicine, and you'll have to be a "meth" like in Altered Carbon to afford medical care!

• Wow

I agree with this generally but would add the impact of private equity and hedge funds purchasing practices in niche areas of expected increased returns: long term care, cancer, cardiovascular, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would hope that a year of employment will be a requirement. For too many medical students, residency is thier first job ever and it shows in work ethic.

Reactions: 11 users
I think there will continue to be an increase of new medical schools and class size so it will be relatively the same as it is now. The most extreme scenario that might be seen would be requiring a year or two of work experience which I think should be mandatory now. After all, how can a person “know” they “need” to be doctor if they’ve never had a full time job doing something else?

I agree with this generally but would add the impact of private equity and hedge funds purchasing practices in niche areas of expected increased returns: long term care, cancer, cardiovascular, etc.
Long term care? I know that's an area of projected increased need, but increased returns? Most Americans can't afford a regular retirement. Who is going to be funding these returns? Medicaid reimbursements suck, and will only become less generous over time, as the need increases and the system is starved of resources.

This will be a niche area for the wealthy, as far as private equity and hedge fund involvement. If they are counting on generous government funding to generate on return on their investment, they should probably spend some time researching the huge financial returns at Medicare clinics (excluding all the fraud, because Wall Street would be far easier to go after! :)) before going any further.

Cancer, cardio, etc.? That's no different than anything else, with respect to socialized medicine. If it ever happens, most of us will have to get in line and wait our turn. Those with money will be able to opt for a more concierge experience. If payments are going to be made outside of an insurance network, doctors aren't going to need private equity sugar daddies to fund their practices. If the insurance will be MFA supplements, with the same networks as now, practices will be funded by the same large practice groups and hospital systems that fund them now. What is the value add for Wall Street here?

Long term care? I know that's an area of projected increased need, but increased returns? Most Americans can't afford a regular retirement. Who is going to be funding these returns? Medicaid reimbursements suck, and will only become less generous over time, as the need increases and the system is starved of resources.

This will be a niche area for the wealthy, as far as private equity and hedge fund involvement. If they are counting on generous government funding to generate on return on their investment, they should probably spend some time researching the huge financial returns at Medicare clinics (excluding all the fraud, because Wall Street would be far easier to go after! :)) before going any further.

Cancer, cardio, etc.? That's no different than anything else, with respect to socialized medicine. If it ever happens, most of us will have to get in line and wait our turn. Those with money will be able to opt for a more concierge experience. If payments are going to be made outside of an insurance network, doctors aren't going to need private equity sugar daddies to fund their practices. If the insurance will be MFA supplements, with the same networks as now, practices will be funded by the same large practice groups and hospital systems that fund them now. What is the value add for Wall Street here?
B
It’s quite simple actually: baby boomers.

I'm surprised people get into medical school with ~100 hours of experience in medicine. I've spent two years full-time in medicine now and I continue to learn a substantial amount. My understanding of medicine, the role of physicians, and challenges in medicine is massively better than after I shadowed ~100 hours.

I suspect sustained clinical employment will be the next distinguishing factor.

Last edited:
B
It’s quite simple actually: baby boomers.
Yes, yes, yes!! My question was, where is the money coming from? Many boomers don't have a pot to p*** in, and have to push off retirement because they can't afford to stop working. You are correct with respect to increased demand. The question is, who is going to be paying those juicy returns Wall Street will be looking for? The federal government that is socializing medicine? I wouldn't count on it. It will be a niche market for the rich. It won't be investable at scale for Wall Street.

I think medicine will become less competitive. The consolidation and death by a thousand cuts has already brought the golden age to an end. Now those factors along with proliferating schools, disruptive technology, falling salaries, increased regulatory workload, lowered expectations, etc are leading to saturation and disaffection. The best and brightest will look elsewhere.

• Dislike
Reactions: 4 users
I think medicine will become less competitive. The consolidation and death by a thousand cuts has already brought the golden age to an end. Now those factors along with proliferating schools, disruptive technology, falling salaries, increased regulatory workload, lowered expectations, etc are leading to saturation and disaffection. The best and brightest will look elsewhere.
Doctors have been saying this since the first HMO excluded the first doctor from its network over reimbursement rates and requiring pre-approval for treatment. And yet it is going to be more competitive to get into medical school this year than ever before. At some point you might be right, but doctors have been complaining about losing autonomy and earning power since the 1970s, and, other than a dip during the height of the dot-com boom, the best and the brightest have not looked elsewhere in all that time.

Reactions: 4 users

Medical schools expectations vs employer demands have 180 degree disconnect.

By 2040? My guess is that the student loan bubble will long be burst by then - the end of federally backed student loans would decrease the pool of college grads and perhaps put a dent in the number of people applying to medical school. If federal student loans ever stop flowing, who knows what it would be like at that point. Could see all the recently created schools go bankrupt without that cash, could see an increase in the number of for-profit schools with everyone paying with private loans/cash

I am certain that we would have consensus on VITA 2040.0 release will replace adcom in-person interviews.

Yes, yes, yes!! My question was, where is the money coming from? Many boomers don't have a pot to p*** in, and have to push off retirement because they can't afford to stop working. You are correct with respect to increased demand. The question is, who is going to be paying those juicy returns Wall Street will be looking for? The federal government that is socializing medicine? I wouldn't count on it. It will be a niche market for the rich. It won't be investable at scale for Wall Street.

Hedge funds and venture capital firms tend to increase margins through staffing changes, compensation realignment, price setting, etc. It’s a model that has been quite effective in veterinary medicine. In terms of increased funding, I agree that many boomers are behind on saving for retirement which leaves the financial burden elsewhere. My guess is there is a bet that legislators will not leave the largest *active* voting block out in the cold as they begin to retire and struggle to afford care.

As for socializing medicine, I don’t know what form that would take. Would it be a Medicare system where all have insurance coverage? That would be fine except without addressing the federal governments inability to negotiate drug prices, will slow the rate of increasing costs but won’t truly reign it in. That still leaves providers to negotiate with a national policy. Individual providers/practices have little power. But a network of practices that dominates a particular geographic area, whose executives donate heavily to members of both political parties, my guess is they will be able to negotiate favorable terms.

As someone who had NO exposure to healthcare prior to becoming a RN, I couldn't imagine working so hard to become a Physician without substantial experience in healthcare first. I think a year employment as a EMT, RN, Phlebotomist...etc is good, not only to expose Med school hopefuls to all the various healthcare professionals, but also give pre-meds work experience where it's your license and credentials on the line, similarly to what @Goro believes.

I do not think scribing, patient transport, or shadowing physicians is sufficient.

As someone who had NO exposure to healthcare prior to becoming a RN, I couldn't imagine working so hard to become a Physician without substantial experience in healthcare first. I think a year employment as a EMT, RN, Phlebotomist...etc is good, not only to expose Med school hopefuls to all the various healthcare professionals, but also give pre-meds work experience where it's your license and credentials on the line, similarly to what @Goro believes.

I do not think scribing, patient transport, or shadowing physicians is sufficient.
In other words, Dr can't be at top of food chain w/o starting at bottom. Don't see anything wrong with that.

In other words, Dr can't be at top of food chain w/o starting at bottom. Don't see anything wrong with that.
Nothing wrong that but is it really need given already a long path to become a doctor?

Nothing wrong that but is it really need given already a long path to become a doctor?

As taking 2 gaps years become more normal, it really isn't that difficult. CNA or Phlebotomy programs are as short as a month sometimes. They can be done over a summer in college and one can work during breaks part time or PRN. After graduation they can go full-time. Pre-Meds bend over backwards for everything else in order to become competitive but not this because it isn't seen as essential to matriculating into medical school. The benefit to this is being comfortable with IVs, patient interactions (ones more reflective of actual day-to-day interactions with patients as a healthcare provider), bathing patients, familiarity with EMR...etc. I think if Medical Schools put more emphasis on this aspect of an applicant, people wouldn't have too much an issue achieving it.

The benefit to this is being comfortable with IVs,
Wonder how many pediatricians offices have that capability? A routine infusion kind of drug warrants a ER visit for a simple IV or a home nurse call.

I would hope that a year of employment will be a requirement. For too many medical students, residency is thier first job ever and it shows in work ethic.
A gap year is a quarter million plus dollar mistake.

I agree if medical schools is free. With costs going up and incomes stagnating while other careers are paying more what's the incentive to slog thru all this and become a doctor at 35? Easy for adcoms to say :)

Last edited:
A gap year is a quarter million plus dollar mistake.
I agree but I wouldn't word it as a "mistake" because applicants like myself need a gap year for that extra year of a GPA and experience to makeup for a poor start. Otherwise, we would just be throwing money and time down the drain trying to apply with a subpar app

Reactions: 6 users
while other careers are paying more what's the incentive to slog thru all this and become a doctor at 35?
Yet a business degree will manage you like you never learned time management in your life.

Last edited:
I agree if medical schools is free. With costs going up and incomes stagnating while other careers are paying more what's the incentive to slog thru all this and become a doctor at 35? Easy for adcoms to say :)
Yes, it is, and is the very definition of a seller's market!!!!!! ALL of these so-called "required" ECs only came about because of the intense competition for a med school seat.

A generation ago, you didn't need to demonstrate service to others, shadowing, research, blah, blah, blah to be considered admissible. You needed high grades, a decent MCAT score, and some LORs. Competition drives what I refer to as the EC arms race. And, yes, it is easy for adcoms to say. And, as long as there continue to be 50,000+ candidates for around 20,000 seats, people who want it will do what they have to, and others will choose different paths. And, adcoms won't lose any sleep over that.

Honestly, ORM parents obsess over prestige and money, and adcoms don't care about that. They WANT people who care about money to choose other paths. To an extent, maybe they are creating the incentive for your kids to choose other careers, to weed them out, so that they people who become doctors are slogging through all this because they really want it, even though other careers are paying more and don't require as much training.

Well, 5.6% of matriculating students in my class year were over 28. So over 35 is probably 1-2%. But that’s still 150-300 of us! Old head strong!
Even with those numbers, its not a norm, I suspect it would be by 2040 unless human life expectancy boosted drastically by then.

Last edited:
I think there will become a point where students won't be allowed mistakes at all.

Adcoms currently reward reinvention. Ie a person with a 3.1 undergrad that went and did an SMP with a 3.9 can get in. I really do not think this will be allowed in the future due to rising competition.

I do think that there will be some medical schools that will shift in a direction of lessening a focus on stats to find the most well rounded applicants but they will not be the norm.

20 years down the line I think the bottom 10th percentile for GPA will be a 3.6. This is around the median for many medical schools now. I think the median MCAT will shift up across the nation to 515 compared to 510-511 now.

In terms of ECs I think research will become an expectation and that clinical volunteering will no longer cut it across the nation.

Everything has diminishing returns. GPA comes strongly to mind here. And when the MCAT gets out of hand they'll reset it like they did in 2015. Competitiveness may get so strong the gap year may become standard rather than the ~50/50 distribution it is now.

David D MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors
I'll wait until stats come out but gap years are the majority at my school. Only about 30% of my classmates are straight out :(

For established medical schools the GPA and MCAT requirements will continue to get more stringent until there's not much more room for them to increase. There will likely be a de facto gap year(s) requirement to get the requisite number of volunteering/extracurricular hours necessary to be competitive. Children of physicians and those with access to wealth will continue to disproportionately benefit to a larger extent.

I'll wait until stats come out but gap years are the majority at my school. Only about 30% of my classmates are straight out :(
That seems to the case at most schools and will get worse each year, it's like self fulfilling prophecy.

I'm surprised people get into medical school with ~100 hours of experience in medicine. I've spent two years full-time in medicine now and I continue to learn a substantial amount. My understanding of medicine, the role of physicians, and challenges in medicine is massively better than after I shadowed ~100 hours.

I suspect sustained clinical employment will be the next distinguishing factor.
Yep. The REAL learning doesn't occur until you're actually in the fray. School, volunteering, interning, etc. are all facsimiles in comparison to the real deal. This applies to every occupation, across all fields.