How much more "holistic" are DO classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Govols13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I keep seeing in this forum, even though the same classes are taught at DO/MD schools (minus OMM), that DO schools teach their classes in a more holistic/patient oriented manner. Is this true? And is this school specific? (If so, please let me know which ones :) )

I'm asking this because I do intend to go into primary care, and this more holistic/patient oriented teaching fits my view on medicine.

Members don't see this ad.

Studies have shown that there is at least a 34.7% increase in holism for D.O. classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
I keep seeing in this forum, even though the same classes are taught at DO/MD schools (minus OMM), that DO schools teach their classes in a more holistic/patient oriented manner. Is this true? And is this school specific? (If so, please let me know which ones :) )

I'm asking this because I do intend to go into primary care, and this more holistic/patient oriented teaching fits my view on medicine.

The first two years is the same material regardless of MD/DO (aside from OMM class). It's science-based so the actual material can't be more or less holistic. They say there's a more holistic "philosophy"...maybe that comes during rotations? residency? maybe someone more experienced can chime in.

Then again, how many people on this forum have gone to both MD and DO school and can compare them? probably not many!

the answer is "only in OMM class itself". the rest of the education is the same, and i view that holisitc approach thing as more of a platitude the deans and AOA leadership carry around and no one stands up in class to question rather than anything actually occurring differently.

there is an anecdotal phenomenon among enough chief residents and preceptors to be worth mentioning. I've heard enough times (not from other DO students, but from physicians incharge of grading) that they feel DO students come into 3rd year able to do better physical exams off the bat. Now 1) This is not "holistic" its simply more comfort telling someone to take off their close and let you palpate them and 2) I imagine that difference persists for all of 2-3 months before everyone is equally comfortable getting in there and palpating the crap out of every patient.

As others have said: the classes are basic sciences. The only classes where you would even have the chance to be holistic are: OMM and Primary Care Skills (our "how do do all the physical exams/write notes/write scripts/etc" class.) And the most holistic thing ive seen happen in that class was having an SP tell me that I was so focused on her abdomen that I didnt notice she was coughing (SP was for an abdominal complaint, my bad). Oh, and maybe them bringing patients in for patient perspective sessions last year.

To agree with docespana, the admin and AOA are really the only people who get off on the whole holistic thing. To students, med school is really just med school to us. Nobody thinks they are different than any other med student out there in terms of what we are learning. We just want to deal with the least amount of bs and get out of here. Frequently, attempts of the administration to push "holisticness" on us fall into the "crap i really dont feel like dealing with but still am being forced to go to either for a few exam points or because you made it mandatory...but wouldnt go otherwise" category...as unfortunate as that is.

Can't speak for other schools, but nova sure as heck doesn't.