How much of a difference date selection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted421268

If I selected June 15 mcat date rather than June 1st would it make a big difference in regards to acceptance advantage? Leaning towards June 1st, June 15, or June 29th date. October 25th is date selection

Members don't see this ad.

If I selected June 15 mcat date rather than June 1st would it make a big difference in regards to acceptance advantage? Leaning towards June 1st, June 15, or June 29th date. October 25th is date selection

You'll probably get a lot of people telling you not to take it that late, but I took it June 30 and had no problems getting interviews right after my scores were released. Take it when you know you can do well, not as early as possible.

I recommend people take it in April of their application year. If for some reason you need to take it in June, you will only be at a disadvantage if you need to retake. None of those June dates will make a difference but the earlier you can take it the better.

Members don't see this ad :)
When did you submit secondaries by?

Two of the schools screened so I didn’t get them until August. But I submitted them the same day I got them. The other school doesn’t screen so I got it at the beginning of July and had it turned in before I even got my scores.

As always, it isnt the lateness of the MCAT score that will be an impact that I am warn applicants about. Rather, it is the competing priorities of writing a highly polished AMCAS while prepping for the highly important MCAT. Additionally, since you cant target until you have an MCAT score, therefore can't research them indepth, then develop ideas for themes that should be in their secondaries, thus may want to present and interlock these themes in their primary, either PS or more importantly in EC writeups.

I agree that it is difficult to prep for the MCAT and write a great AMCAS. That's why I prewrote all my experiences and my PS before I even started MCAT prep. I took the MCAT June 30, which gave me plenty of time to prewrite secondaries (although coincidentally, two of the schools I filled out secondaries for changed their essays, so the prewriting didn't help). I also used my AAMC FL average to target schools, since most people score similarly to that. When I did significantly better than my average, I considered adding some more higher power schools, but didn't. I think my timeline worked out, but I made sure not to try to do any of those things at the same time.