How much of a role does legacy play in admissions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brandini

Reaction score
Nearly everyone in my family has gone to the same state flagship university over the past two generations. My mother, 2 or 3 uncles, an aunt, and a bunch of my cousins (maybe 7 or 8?) all have gone to this school. All of them have received at least one degree, with a combination of undergraduate degrees, a few masters, one pharmD, and two MDs. Two of my cousins received full scholarships. Would all of my relatives count or just my mother and how much of an impact would this have on my application? I would be an out of state applicant, and the school generally favors in state applicants.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It used to be a significant boost. But now the effect is really just mild.

It definitely has a role. Especially a successful family with a history of donations.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It’s gonna depend on a few things...one how strong of a candidate are you for this school. Two how much your family had donated as alums.
It may give a School a good reason to assume you’d choose them over other schools but outside of giving a lot of money it’s not going to help you much if you are marginal or worse

Nearly everyone in my family has gone to the same state flagship university over the past two generations. My mother, 2 or 3 uncles, an aunt, and a bunch of my cousins (maybe 7 or 8?) all have gone to this school. All of them have received at least one degree, with a combination of undergraduate degrees, a few masters, one pharmD, and two MDs. Two of my cousins received full scholarships. Would all of my relatives count or just my mother and how much of an impact would this have on my application? I would be an out of state applicant, and the school generally favors in state applicants.
Good answers in this thread; I'd like to add that it also can be school specific. I believe that U SD gives points to applicants who have family who are alumni.
The wise LizzyM has also mention that sometimes there is a "halo effect". The outstanding sibling who graduated several years ago may give a boost for at least an interview to another sibling. I've seen this happen at my school.

Several deans ago, we had an interview candidate forced upon us (and who was accepted over the Adcom's wishes) who was a the child of a potential donor. The most galling thing about this was that the donor made noise about a donation NOT to our school, but another college on our campus!

Good answers in this thread; I'd like to add that it also can be school specific. I believe that U SD gives points to applicants who have family who are alumni.
The wise LizzyM has also mention that sometimes there is a "halo effect". The outstanding sibling who graduated several years ago may give a boost for at least an interview to another sibling. I've seen this happen at my school.

Several deans ago, we had an interview candidate forced upon us (and who was accepted over the Adcom's wishes) who was a the child of a potential donor. The most galling thing about this was that the donor made noise about a donation NOT to our school, but another college on our campus!

My brother just recently graduated from Tufts dental essentially at the top of his class, as he received a job recommendation from the faculty that is reserved for one student each graduating class based on grades/clinical performance. Is this worth mentioning/would it be helpful to me at all? Tufts dental and medical students share the same preclinical curriculum also.

My brother just recently graduated from Tufts dental essentially at the top of his class, as he received a job recommendation from the faculty that is reserved for one student each graduating class based on grades/clinical performance. Is this worth mentioning/would it be helpful to me at all? Tufts dental and medical students share the same preclinical curriculum also.
Nope. I don't feel that the med school would care that your brother was in the DDS school

So I would like to clarify comments that I feel that med schools don't care if your family members went to the parent UG or any other arm of the university except the med school