How much of your decision to be a non-trad premed was inspired by passion vs. practicality?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AcneRosaceaDermatitis

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Random (but Related) Analogy to Medicine

To clarify what I mean in the title, I feel like one trend I've followed throughout my life is that even if I felt passionate about something, I didn't necessarily pursue it because I was taught from a young age (13-14) that doing what's practical and will get you ahead with the least amount of risk is what you should do over how "passionate" you feel about something. Even if you feel more passionate about other options, take the safest option even if it's boring and bland because you can't just make decisions based on emotions all the time.

To put this all into context, when I was 13-14, I was about to enter HS and had to choose EC's for college.

I had quit piano and had started to take up swimming. We had moved to an apartment unit with a swimming pool, so I'd take what I learned from weekly swimming lessons at a local pool and practice my technique, stamina and speed 3-4 times a week.

I was very mediocre at other EC's I had done as a child but made tons of progress in a short time at swimming. I went from someone who feared water greatly to someone who had learned the basics of all 4 strokes in just 1 summer of lessons. Granted, I was no Michael Phelps - I had bad form, poor stamina, and couldn't dive without belly flopping, but the progress was there and I loved swimming. I felt like I'd do anything to get better at it, even if I had to get a job to pay for private coaching to improve my skills.

But when it came to participating in high school EC's, my parents did NOT want me to do swimming or any type of sport.

They stated that it'd be safer for me to do an academic activity because I'd been studying and memorizing and learning all of my life, since age 2-3 - whereas I had just started "casually" swimming at age 13. In their eyes, I had started swimming too late and wasn't freakishly good, so why invest time in this new skill just to be an average swimmer at the high school level with no medals when you could be amazing at the academic EC and get lots of medals?

So Why Does Swimming Relate to Medicine?

So anyway, I know that doesn't relate to medicine at all, but I'm faced with a similar decision now. I'm in a medium-paying full-time job in business. I am not the best entry-level employee there, but I feel that if I work harder, make the right connections and become more assertive/proactive, I can move up there or elsewhere. However, the problem is that just like with the swimming vs. academic example, I don't feel as passionate about it as I might about medicine.

But in my eyes, passion isn't enough for a reason to switch, especially as I still need to take biology, physics, biochemistry, and whatnot and only have a 3.56 sGPA and a 3.79 cGPA. Medicine would definitely be the harder track of the two to get into. I'm also an ORM if that makes a difference and live in California.

So What Did I Want to Ask?

For the other non-trads out there with stable, medium-high paying careers, why did you switch to medicine? Was it passion? To earn higher pay? Did you ever have similar doubts of "Okay well I already have a decent job, why would I take out 6 figures of student debt just to be a doctor just out of 'passion?'"

Because from a very practical standpoint, medicine would be a much greater hassle for me. I'd have to find a post-bacc program that would actually accept me and save for it, and even after that I may not even do well in it and end up with a worse sGPA because I suck at science.

And even if I somehow did well in those classes, I may not get into medical school.

And even if I got into med school, I could fail STEP exams and/or not match into residency.

And even if I matched into a residency, I could be dismissed from that and/or even if I graduated from residency I could be a ****ty AF doctor who gets hit with malpractice lawsuits and sanctions left and right.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I make a lot of big life decisions by asking myself, "On my death bed, will I regret not doing it?" I absolutely despise what-ifs in relation to my own choices, so I try to go with what makes the most sense to me in a given moment with the knowledge I have. I'm currently working for a local government, making about $10k more than your average resident, but I'm bored. I don't want to be bored for the rest of my life. I'm a very career and fulfillment-driven person, so I've been working my butt off for 3+ years to switch into medicine.

Do what will make the most sense to you when you look back at your life on your deathbed.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 2 users
I make a lot of big life decisions by asking myself, "On my death bed, will I regret not doing it?" I absolutely despise what-ifs in relation to my own choices, so I try to go with what makes the most sense to me in a given moment with the knowledge I have. I'm currently working for a local government, making about $10k more than your average resident, but I'm bored. I don't want to be bored for the rest of my life. I'm a very career and fulfillment-driven person, so I've been working my butt off for 3+ years to switch into medicine.

Do what will make the most sense to you when you look back at your life on your deathbed.

So you're doing it because you think you'd be more fulfilled in medicine?

Do you ever feel like it makes sense to stay in your government job because you already have a stable / well-paying career vs. taking on 6 figures of student debt and stress to be a doctor lol?

Members don't see this ad :)
So you're doing it because you think you'd be more fulfilled in medicine?

Do you ever feel like it makes sense to stay in your government job because you already have a stable / well-paying career vs. taking on 6 figures of student debt and stress to be a doctor lol?
No, with the way I live my life, staying comfortable does not make sense. I can say that with 100% certainty. I've only ever grown as a human when I've pushed myself out of my shell/box/whatever analogy you like. There is so much life to be lived!

Edited to add: and I say this as someone with a partner and a child under 1. My partner is incredibly supportive of this journey, but he does have his misgivings. However, we're on the same page about the adventure life can be. So that's how we live.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
No, with the way I live my life, staying comfortable does not make sense. I can say that with 100% certainty. I've only ever grown as a human when I've pushed myself out of my shell/box/whatever analogy you like. There is so much life to be lived!

Edited to add: and I say this as someone with a partner and a child under 1. My partner is incredibly supportive of this journey, but he does have his misgivings. However, we're on the same page about the adventure life can be. So that's how we live.
Wow, I'm single (literally always have been) and don't have kids and I feel like being a non-trad is too hard for me lol. Kudos.

I'm in a similar conundrum, but it's the opposite. Finished Medical school, did a MSc, currently in my early years of a Residency program while pursuing a PhD.

I would love to switch fields, in the real of social science, but find it really impractical at this point. So I've been just treating it more as a hobby for now. Reading, engaging in forums, online courses, appreciating the topics that it shares with medicine, etc. with the idea that I might reassess a career switch once I finish some milestones in the next 1-2 years. I'm 28, might be a good moment to hit the books again.

so why invest time in this new skill just to be an average swimmer at the high school level with no medals when you could be amazing at the academic EC and get lots of medals?
I also hope this way of thinking dies off in the coming generations.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
I'm in a similar conundrum, but it's the opposite. Finished Medical school, did a MSc, currently in my early years of a Residency program while pursuing a PhD.

I would love to switch fields, in the real of social science, but find it really impractical at this point. So I've been just treating it more as a hobby for now. Reading, engaging in forums, online courses, appreciating the topics that it shares with medicine, etc. with the idea that I might reassess a career switch once I finish some milestones in the next 1-2 years. I'm 28, might be a good moment to hit the books again.

I also hope this way of thinking dies off in the coming generations.
Lol, it won't die off unless undergrad admissions become a lot less competitive and/or people realize where you go for UG doesn't dictate the rest of your life

The stress of your own doubts and insecurities will make medical school and residency extremely painful. This isn't to say you shouldn't do it, but to make you aware that it will be something that has a substantial impact on your stress levels. As someone who went the nontrad route and had many friends that did the same, those feelings are common in nontrads, where the "have I made a mistake" feelings are amplified by the fact that you had a crystallized prior life to determine the answer to that question. Traditional students can only hypothesize as to where their life might have gone or what they might be doing, but you know at the very least where you could have factually remained. Using your postbacc courses and the MCAT to shake some of that doubt in your own ability and potential will be critical to bringing your stress levels down and prevent you from ending up in a cycle of existential fear every exam cycle in med school.

Whether you should take this route is an entirely personal question. I went back because I felt I would be miserable not having a deep knowledge of something where I could solve complex problems with some regulatory and have tangible results that make a difference in people's lives. In that sense, my decision was practical because only medicine allowed for this reliably. What is practical for one person versus another can vary widely.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Random (but Related) Analogy to Medicine

To clarify what I mean in the title, I feel like one trend I've followed throughout my life is that even if I felt passionate about something, I didn't necessarily pursue it because I was taught from a young age (13-14) that doing what's practical and will get you ahead with the least amount of risk is what you should do over how "passionate" you feel about something. Even if you feel more passionate about other options, take the safest option even if it's boring and bland because you can't just make decisions based on emotions all the time.

To put this all into context, when I was 13-14, I was about to enter HS and had to choose EC's for college.

I had quit piano and had started to take up swimming. We had moved to an apartment unit with a swimming pool, so I'd take what I learned from weekly swimming lessons at a local pool and practice my technique, stamina and speed 3-4 times a week.

I was very mediocre at other EC's I had done as a child but made tons of progress in a short time at swimming. I went from someone who feared water greatly to someone who had learned the basics of all 4 strokes in just 1 summer of lessons. Granted, I was no Michael Phelps - I had bad form, poor stamina, and couldn't dive without belly flopping, but the progress was there and I loved swimming. I felt like I'd do anything to get better at it, even if I had to get a job to pay for private coaching to improve my skills.

But when it came to participating in high school EC's, my parents did NOT want me to do swimming or any type of sport.

They stated that it'd be safer for me to do an academic activity because I'd been studying and memorizing and learning all of my life, since age 2-3 - whereas I had just started "casually" swimming at age 13. In their eyes, I had started swimming too late and wasn't freakishly good, so why invest time in this new skill just to be an average swimmer at the high school level with no medals when you could be amazing at the academic EC and get lots of medals?

So Why Does Swimming Relate to Medicine?

So anyway, I know that doesn't relate to medicine at all, but I'm faced with a similar decision now. I'm in a medium-paying full-time job in business. I am not the best entry-level employee there, but I feel that if I work harder, make the right connections and become more assertive/proactive, I can move up there or elsewhere. However, the problem is that just like with the swimming vs. academic example, I don't feel as passionate about it as I might about medicine.

But in my eyes, passion isn't enough for a reason to switch, especially as I still need to take biology, physics, biochemistry, and whatnot and only have a 3.56 sGPA and a 3.79 cGPA. Medicine would definitely be the harder track of the two to get into. I'm also an ORM if that makes a difference and live in California.

So What Did I Want to Ask?

For the other non-trads out there with stable, medium-high paying careers, why did you switch to medicine? Was it passion? To earn higher pay? Did you ever have similar doubts of "Okay well I already have a decent job, why would I take out 6 figures of student debt just to be a doctor just out of 'passion?'"

Because from a very practical standpoint, medicine would be a much greater hassle for me. I'd have to find a post-bacc program that would actually accept me and save for it, and even after that I may not even do well in it and end up with a worse sGPA because I suck at science.

And even if I somehow did well in those classes, I may not get into medical school.

And even if I got into med school, I could fail STEP exams and/or not match into residency.

And even if I matched into a residency, I could be dismissed from that and/or even if I graduated from residency I could be a ****ty AF doctor who gets hit with malpractice lawsuits and sanctions left and right.
And you can be hit by a meteor when you leave your front door to go out to the street too.

It's clear you don't want to be a doctor. You're just asking for permission from us to tell you that it's okay. Well, it's okay.

Last edited:
And you can be hit by a meteor when you leave your front door to go out to the street too.

It's clear you don't want to be a doctor. You're just asking for permission from us to tell you that it's okay. Well, it's okay.
How do you know I don't want to be a doctor? I think I do have some desire to be one but I'm not gung-ho about it.

I think I'm well aware of how difficult it is and how high-stakes it can be and I am rightfully questioning whether I'm up for the challenge.

• Okay...
Status
Not open for further replies.