Who are some of your favorite / most inspirational non-trad doctors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fluidity of Movement

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking for people to follow. Authors, podcasters, youtubers, etc. Bonus points for attendings who didn't start med school until after 30 :)

My present favorite is Dr K with HealthyGamerGG, a psychiatrist. He's not without controversy but I look up to him a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

I've met him.

I also make the old generation suggestion to follow people who spend more time doing medicine than "influencing ".

So I was raised on punk music by my father who has seen all the major punk acts of the 80s back when concert tickets were $5 and the following ambulance ride from slam dancing was certainly a little less expensive than today. Daryl Wilson is definitely a favorite of mine because I can share it with my dad who doesn't really understand what it's like to work in healthcare and also it showed me that my many identities don't have to be at odds with each other. Medicine attracts all kinds of unique people. I first heard about him on one of my favorite podcasts "Milo Goes to Medical School" back when I was trying to see if medicine was for me. Sadly, I think they only published 3 episodes, but it was totally worth the listen if this highly niche intersection of interests happens to fascinate you. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks!! I remember mr smile talking about him in another post, I'll make sure to save this post. I'm also looking for some non-trad books as well, although there are many great books by physicians. Also, congratulations @BlackLotus95 !!!

Reactions: 1 user
Jonny Kim! What's even more amazing is he had a very troubled childhood which most would not assume. He did a podcast episode with Jocko Willink that is definitely worth a listen.

Reactions: 1 users
Looking for people to follow. Authors, podcasters, youtubers, etc. Bonus points for attendings who didn't start med school until after 30 :)

My present favorite is Dr K with HealthyGamerGG, a psychiatrist. He's not without controversy but I look up to him a lot.
Shameless plug for myself :)

I'm currently a plastic surgery resident and a former non-traditional student (single mother, started med school in late my 20s, had a career prior, etc). Recently started adding details about my journey to my YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/@minoritydoctor

Please check it out and let me know what you think :)

I'm also a proud DO and the author of Atypical Premed: A Non-Traditional Student's Guide to Applying to Medical School and I write frequently on my "Aspiring Minority Doctor" blog.

Reactions: 2 users
Shameless plug for myself :)

I'm currently a plastic surgery resident and a former non-traditional student (single mother, started med school in late my 20s, had a career prior, etc). Recently started adding details about my journey to my YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/@minoritydoctor

Please check it out and let me know what you think :)

I'm also a proud DO and the author of Atypical Premed: A Non-Traditional Student's Guide to Applying to Medical School and I write frequently on my "Aspiring Minority Doctor" blog.
Wow!

I can't wait to read your book!

Reactions: 1 user