how much pestering is too much

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

3bamboo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I shadowed a DO about a month ago and everything was good during the shadowing, and he really liked me as a person. Unfortunately, he has still not sent in a LOR for me. I talked about it with him before I left and he seemed very willing to do it. Since then I have emailed him twice and called him once (about once every week and a half). I still have not gotten a reply. Should I keep trying?

Members don't see this ad.

no...if you have to pester him that much, chances are the physician will half-ass your LOR just so you stop contacting him or her.

i personally experienced this with one of my professors.

just lay low for a couple weeks while simultaneously attempting to shadow other DOs. if this physician is going to write you a solid LOR, he/she will contact you.

I shadowed a DO about a month ago and everything was good during the shadowing, and he really liked me as a person. Unfortunately, he has still not sent in a LOR for me. I talked about it with him before I left and he seemed very willing to do it. Since then I have emailed him twice and called him once (about once every week and a half). I still have not gotten a reply. Should I keep trying?

Yea. Worst case scenario, you don't get the letter. I wait a few weeks though and then try again and explain that you really need it in order to apply for medical schools

Members don't see this ad :)
If it matters, he is older and nearing retirement. He is doing locum work now on and off so he is traveling around quite a bit. I know he would write a good letter if he just sat down and worked on it but the trouble is I think he just keeps pushing it off. Ugh what a bummer, I guess I will find another doc to shadow.

I have to disagree with others on here. Unless there really is reason for you to believe he won't do what he said and write one for you, just keep following up. I was in a similar situation with a doc (DO FP) last year and it took me almost 5 months to actually get it. Finally when he submitted he apologized for taking too long and mentioned that although he writes many of them every year (he also precepts for AZCOM) he said it was the best letter he's ever written.
Just saying this to encourage you to continue to persist if you think it really is a good letter for you. Getting it faster/slower is not often an indication of how good the letter will be. However, if it delays your application by a few months its better just to get another.

Good luck!

Yes, mine took a while too. I mailed a thank you letter with an envelope predaddressed with postage for the letter of recommendation. I waited 10 days after sening the envelope to follow up, thanking him again and recognizing not many DOs mentor/shadow.