How much research/clinical experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Annakei

Therapist
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you that have already been admitted into PHD and PsyD programs, how much research (PHD) and clinical (PsyD) experience did you have? Please respond by indicating if you wre accepted into a PHD or PsyD program and how much experience you'd acquired upon application. I ask because I am trying to decide if I should apply this year or next year to a doctoral program but if I obtain a research asst position now part time, I will only have about 3 months under my belt....I am currently a staff member providing case mgmt to to research participants but unsure of how to frame that as REAL research experience as I doubt it would be...

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there,

I got accepted to PhD programs (and ultimately went with a non-clinical program for various reasons),. I had started working at a well known autism center in June of the year I applied, so I only had about 6 months under my belt when applying. I had 2 summer internships that were clinical experience (total of about 3 months), and I had started a senior honors thesis that was in progress. I think my lack of experience is one reason why I didn't get accepted to that many clinical programs (and I think moreso the clinical end was where I really lacked). My GPA and GRE scores were competitive so definitely the research. If I had to do it again (which I wouldn't because I am incredibly happy with my choice) I would have waited another year. I also found that schools seemed impressed when I related that I was training/supervising other students.

I had about 3 years of experience working with severe mental illness and pedophiles, about two years of research, a publication as a solo author on an article in a second rate journal. I had a fantastic GPA, average GRE scores and about a zillion leadership positions, legislative work, community service hours (note that those last 3 oddly don't seem to count for jack).

Results: I applied to 6 schools and got into 5, (2 PhD and 3 Psy.D).

No matter how good your credentials though, getting in seems like a major crap shoot, especially with a weak GRE like mine. The Psy.D program I ended up going to had over 280 applicants and ends up enrolling about 6% of that number. The rest of them were just as slim. I say take a year off and be smart. Apply where you really want to go and where they give you some $, and apply to lots and lots of places.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey Anna!!

i applied to and was accepted by two PsyD programs.....in terms of clinical experience...i had a few months under my belt as a residential counselor (almost a year) and i had done clinical co-ops in undergrad (it was required)....

i hadnt done any research at all....

This was something I really stressed out about when I was applying. I got a research assistant position in Sept/Oct of last year which is when I applied. However, I had completed a masters degree earlier and had clinical experience through the mandatory internship experience.

I applied to 10 clinical and counseling phd programs. I had 4 interviews and 3 offers, so I feel like I did okay. I spent a lot of time on my personal statement because I felt that I had to make a strong case for myself because I didn't have the research experience many other people had. Also, I think that something that worked in my favor was that I only applied to schools where there was a strong match between my research interests and those in the department that I wanted to work with.