How much research do you need for a good PhD program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeuroDroid

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's my situation: I study at the University of Puerto Rico and will begin doing research at the Medical School within the psychiatry department soon. If I remain with them until I graduate, I will have 2 years of research experience. That being said, we're told to do summer research at US institutions a lot here. And I've come to believe that if I don't do one I will never get into grad school. I'd like to do them, no doubt, but leaving during the summer is a bit complicated for me because I have an apartment to pay and a job. I've applied to some programs for this summer anyways just in case...but I'm wondering, is it really necessary? Would 2 years of experience in a lab under the supervision of a psychiatrist (who is also the PI) be enough? I feel like there's an implication that the research is somehow inferior here and I'd have to get experience in the US.

Edit: When I say good I mean a well regarded program with funding. Doesn't have to be top 10 or any of that.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say you should definitely try to find more experience. I've interviewed a couple times and all interviewees had at least 5 years experience. Many ended up graduating and working full-time in labs related to their interests or getting a master's degree first then getting more research experience before applying. Not to say that you wont get interviews or even get an acceptance with only two years experience, but if you want to get into a program that is regarded for their research and has grants to work under, two years is not enough to be competitive.

If you work under someone who is influential in the field that is also a major plus. I don't think it's necessarily that anyone thinks the research there is inferior, but summer research programs are designed to produce scholars in the field. They are good for not only research experience, but also professional development.

Will you have opportunities to present research at conferences? This helps and if you can get one or two first or co-authored publications that will increase your marketability. Summer programs usually have conferences built in and/or have a scholar journal where they publish the work of the students in the program. This all looks good on your CV. Simply having the experience doing data entry or whatever is not enough.

I don't know how it is in the United States, but here, the minimum requirement (though sometimes enough on its own to get you into a program) is an Honors degree in Psych (the assumption is that you did a thesis).

I don't think people would feel your research experience is inferior, and honestly it will be hard to find a lab that will take someone just for the summer because so much training is involved. I also don't think one summer is going to add much. Really what you need to do is get a post-bac RA position if you want to have a good chance of being accepted into PhD programs.