How much should you shadow a doctor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cmc0607

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So I met this doctor through a high school internship program (he is a surgeon), and I really look up to him because he is such a great doctor and person. I've shadowed him 3 separate times this year (a couple days in the winter, spring and summer). He let me talk with patients with him, hold organs and play around with this surgery equipment. At the end of each shadowing experience he tells me the next time I am home from college I should come in. I recently asked him if I could come to the OR and he said yes but a little less friendly then usual.

I really want to get a LOR from him, but I'm not sure if I'm being annoying by asking if I can come in so many times. I think the nurses think it's a little weird that I am always observing his cases.

Also I just finished my freshman year and I have about 70 hours of shadowing in the OR.
70 hours with a surgeon is more than enough. Go find a PCP or IM doc and shadow a bit (surgery really doesn't represent the majority of healthcare).
I'm also extremely curious about the "hold organs and play around with his surgery equipment" part. I'd venture that he isn't a "such a great doctor and person" if he lets you (an untrained/uncertified undergrad) hold organs and fool around with dangerous surgical tools.

This post is weird bordering on creepy. Are you having an affair with him or something?

Last edited:
So I met this doctor through a high school internship program (he is a surgeon), and I really look up to him because he is such a great doctor and person. I've shadowed him 3 separate times this year (a couple days in the winter, spring and summer). He let me talk with patients with him, hold organs and play around with this surgery equipment. At the end of each shadowing experience he tells me the next time I am home from college I should come in. I recently asked him if I could come to the OR and he said yes but a little less friendly then usual.

I really want to get a LOR from him, but I'm not sure if I'm being annoying by asking if I can come in so many times. I think the nurses think it's a little weird that I am always observing his cases.

Also I just finished my freshman year and I have about 70 hours of shadowing in the OR.

It sounds like he could give you a really good LOR if you don't irritate him. Obviously any shadowing he is allowing you to do is a kindness, so even if you want more than 70 hours I absolutely wouldn't translate that into pestering someone who has given you this fantastic opportunity. Have you tried asking him if it would be an inconvenience instead of just asking to come to the OR? Be humble and respectful, and don't put yourself in a position where a great LOR candidate no longer thinks highly of you. Don't base how you approach this situation on the number of hours you have/want.

Members don't see this ad :)
Enough to know you want to be a doctor.

It sounds like he could give you a really good LOR if you don't irritate him. Obviously any shadowing he is allowing you to do is a kindness, so even if you want more than 70 hours I absolutely wouldn't translate that into pestering someone who has given you this fantastic opportunity. Have you tried asking him if it would be an inconvenience instead of just asking to come to the OR? Be humble and respectful, and don't put yourself in a position where a great LOR candidate no longer thinks highly of you. Don't base how you approach this situation on the number of hours you have/want.

Outside of a few exceptions(Rosalind comes to mind as a school where one can be useful), MD schools dont want a LOR from a physician you shadowed.

Lol, playing around with his surgical equipment ;)
Yeah like seriously, what organs are she holding?

Honestly I'd be much more concerned if they were patient organs during a surgery than the alternative.

Reactions: 1 users
tumblr_inline_nltyd1xrv71qb455b.gif

Reactions: 1 users
70 hours with a surgeon is more than enough. Go find a PCP or IM doc and shadow a bit (surgery really doesn't represent the majority of healthcare).
Agreed. OP, you need some time observing physicians interacting with patients who are awake, ideally in an office-based setting that provides longitudinal care.

That actually sounds like a terrible LOR. Would strongly advise against it.

Reactions: 3 users