How much surgery to I need to know as a transitional year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Zetterberg07

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone,
I've noticed that a lot of transitional year programs require 1 month of surgery. I am worried that this could be a problem for me since I had an extremely weak surgery clerkship as far as floor management- I was at a community hospital where there was no real surgery teaching service. We only had 1 week of the rotation where we actually rounded, and the rest of the 2 months was just scrub in on whatever you feel like. I did have a full month of GYN surgery as part of my OB/GYN clerkship that was somewhat more organized with table rounds. Would this be enough to get by in a TY or should I try to do a surgery elective like urology? I have a fairly tough 4th year schedule now and I would be doing the elective in the spring when I know a lot of people recommend doing something less rigorous but at the same time I don't want to be a dead weight to my team in internship.
Thanks!