how much time do you get to study??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1nycdoc8

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
just out of curiosity, how much time do you guys have/day to study? I'm on OBGYN right now (gyn for this week) and I have like an hour and a half max or two to study on my own at home! my day is 6am-5pm. 1 Hour commute each way. Wake up at 4, leave by 4:30 to catch the train at 5, get there 10 minutes early. work work work leave half past 5, get home at 6:30, eat till 7, work till 9 and pass out. sleep 7 hours is a must

i guess i'll just have to start sacrificing a lot of sleep!

Members don't see this ad.

Disappear for a couple hours each day to get some studying in, if at all possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
my day is 6am-5pm. 1 Hour commute each way. Wake up at 4, leave by 4:30 to catch the train at 5, get there 10 minutes early. work work work leave half past 5, get home at 6:30, eat till 7, work till 9 and pass out. sleep 7 hours is a must

study on the train? geez i did an away rotation 30 miles from my house and it didn't take an hour to commute :confused:

1) most rotations have better hours than obgyn and surgery (somewhat school specific). for example, on my inpatient psych rotation, i got there at 7a and left by 1p, with no call or weekends. that was pretty sweet, and could explain my absurdly high psych shelf grade despite hating the subject.

2) carry a book with you at all times. leave it in the call room or the nurse's station if you must. if you have 10 minutes, read it. or, if you have a wifi device registered on your hospital's network, read uptodate. i probably learned more from UTD on my rotations than I did from any book.

i recommend sleeping on the train. it's a great experience. pass out when you get on and wake up just before your stop.

study on the train? geez i did an away rotation 30 miles from my house and it didn't take an hour to commute :confused:

1) most rotations have better hours than obgyn and surgery (somewhat school specific). for example, on my inpatient psych rotation, i got there at 7a and left by 1p, with no call or weekends. that was pretty sweet, and could explain my absurdly high psych shelf grade despite hating the subject.

2) carry a book with you at all times. leave it in the call room or the nurse's station if you must. if you have 10 minutes, read it. or, if you have a wifi device registered on your hospital's network, read uptodate. i probably learned more from UTD on my rotations than I did from any book.

my rotation is less than 10 miles away but takes me an hour to get there. live in manhattan, gotta get to brooklyn. it sucks.

thakns for the tips about uptodate, will definitely check it out!