How much time do you spend commuting to work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coffee4drug

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a floater, my average commute time is about 45 min. Recently, I have been assigned to farther stores can take up to 1 hr and 20 min to get there. Just want to see if anyone spends longer time than so I can feel less terrible.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm lucky enough to have a regular store that takes me about 10 minutes to get to...sadly this is about a 500% longer commute than my old store which was about a 2 minute walk.

I have a store, so my time is about 15 mins. However, my friends who are still floating travel similar to yours, 45 mins to 1.5 hrs... Another one of my friends travels at least 1.5 to 2 hours to get to work each day, no less.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a store, so my time is about 15 mins. However, my friends who are still floating travel similar to yours, 45 mins to 1.5 hrs... Another one of my friends travels at least 1.5 to 2 hours to get to work each day, no less.

Wow, people really should consider their commute as part of their shift. That's time away from family and friends.

(So if you're making $x for that 8 hour shift, but you're also driving 2 hours a day, then $x/10 is actuallly more reflective of your hourly rate)

VERY happy to say ~5 minutes

Wow, people really should consider their commute as part of their shift. That's time away from family and friends.

(So if you're making $x for that 8 hour shift, but you're also driving 2 hours a day, then $x/10 is actuallly more reflective of your hourly rate)

forgot to mention the gas costs......about $150-200 for me extra.

extra mileage on your car that may lead to extra car costs....etc.

40 minutes each way for one job, 1 hour each way for the other.

forgot to mention the gas costs......about $150-200 for me extra.

extra mileage on your car that may lead to extra car costs....etc.
That's the beauty of my commute...and the fact that it takes 5 min to get anywhere here - my car is 7 years old and has 53K miles on it. I just got my second set of tires not that long ago. :laugh: I hope to have it 7 more years. Nothing like a paid off car.

Yeah, and my friend drives 1.5 to 2 hours each way, so she's spending 3-4 hours to commute to work. It's definitely taking a toll on her and it sucks that she has a family and kids, too. No time for her family. :(

My rotation site is 10 mile route from my house but the traffic sucks so it takes about 20 minutes-1 hour depending on traffic and weather. The nursing home where I work is near my house, and my shifts there are after I get off from rotations, and I'm stuck in traffic going back there as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
45 min each way, 3000 more miles a year further than my old job. and a lot of it is on highway. hope my car can take it

My store is 9 miles from my apartment. It'll take 45 minutes one way with traffic on a weekday and 20 minutes on a weekend.

1 hour of metro commute. I work 50hr/week. Own store. Sucks. Alot.

My store is 9 miles from my apartment. It'll take 45 minutes one way with traffic on a weekday and 20 minutes on a weekend.

9 miles can take you 45 minutes?! eek.

I live 3 blocks from my work. My "commute" is at least 20 minutes though due to daycare dropoff lol.

Are you a pharmacy student? That's quite a long commute for an intern pharmacist.

I am a pharmacy student and an intern at a hospital. And yes, I commute two hours each way on weekends. I drive up to Phoenix on Friday night (or in the wee hours of Sat morning), work 10 hour shifts on both Sat and Sun, then return home to Tucson on Sun. I stay the weekend in Phoenix- every weekend. The commute isn't that bad for what I am getting out of the deal.

For my full-time job it's about 25 minutes one way and I rarely encounter heavy traffic. For my retail job it's about an hour and a half, and coming back it can be much longer than that, but I only do it once or twice a month, so it works out.

For most of my life I had 45 minute one way commute, though. It's not bad if you get used to it. Now, I had 70 mile of heavy traffic commute, that took me 2 hours each way - I didn't do that for long. Spending 4 hours a day in the car in addition to 10 hours spent at work - that doesn't leave any time for living. :rolleyes: