How much time do you spend on OMM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Not just inside class, but outside class. Is it something relatively easy to learn that you don't spend a lot of time on?

Members don't see this ad.

Not much aside from doing some thoracic or lumbar OMM on your friends when you're studying.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't spend as much time on OMM as I do on other subjects, but I wish I could. Outside of labs and classes, I probably spend no more than 4 hours a week studying OMM (it's usually closer to 2-3 hours + watching videos of demonstrations of techniques though). Maybe if it's the week before a practical, i'll boost it up to 6-7 hours max (including practicing techniques with others.

The thing with OMM is that you don't have to spend a lot of time studying outside of lab/class it if you simply want to get by in OMM (at least in my school). Not to mention the fact that gross anatomy is a big part of OMM - knowing landmarks, muscle functions, attachments, innervations, etc from anatomy will go a long way in OMM since all that will be left is learning about the techniques and principles.

However, if you really want to become proficient at it, you'll probably have to put in significantly more time and effort. The effectiveness of OMT is virtually completely dependent on both the accuracy of the diagnoses and the execution of the OMT.

What the heck man that's hugely overkill.

We have 1 hr of lecture and 2 hrs of lab per week. I attend lecture for this class because lab is right after.

I study ~1 hr for the midterm and ~2 hrs for final. No other studying. I don't see what you'd study for that insane amount of time every week. Seriously that's crazy. Does your school have some secret OMM knowledge mine isn't privy to? OMM content seems pretty sparse.

all you need or want out of omm is a passing grade.

Nothing is so difficult that you spend hours trying to figure it out. By far the most difficult part of OMM during first semester is the sacrum. It is not difficult if you just apply some common sense.

On average, I spend an hour each week preparing for labs. That includes reading the lab manual so I'm not a complete babe in the woods. Come exam time, I spend a couple days going over things with some friends. Most of the studying is concentrated on the lectures since the lab part is pretty straightforward.

Nothing is so difficult that you spend hours trying to figure it out. By far the most difficult part of OMM during first semester is the sacrum. It is not difficult if you just apply some common sense.

This.

It just takes practice. There are plenty of ways to gain palpation experience (ie lunchtime workshops), which I think is the biggest hurdle I have. That, and setting myself up for good ergonomics no matter who I have for my lab practical (I'm under five feet tall).

Outside of class, 1-2 hours of technique time tops.

Is OMM something that one could easily learn from YouTube videos? I would love to make a few extra bucks on the side doing massage.

The key is to make sure you understand it. OMM is a tough subject to tackle with rote memorization. If you understand the concepts, especially for topics like sacral mechanics, it's really pretty easy and you won't spend much time on it at all, nor will you need to review much for exams. As for actually performing OMT, it's what you make of it really. You can get by with doing pretty much none after you finish the courses, save what you need to pass the boards. I still use HVLA, muscle energy, and soft tissue stuff quite a bit though--my girlfriend is addicted to being adjusted now. In reality, most of it you'll never touch again, like cranial.

I spend essentially no time outside of lab/lecture on OMM except for 2-3 days before an exam. Before an exam I spend probably 6-8 hours a day for 2 days reviewing techniques. Written exams I spend just the day before studying, no studying prior to that. I typically score in the high 80's to low 90's with this amount of effort, and so do must of my classmates. I don't see any reason to spend much time on it outside of the classroom unless you want to become an OMM fellow or plan to use it in your future practice (I don't).

I spend essentially no time outside of lab/lecture on OMM except for 2-3 days before an exam. Before an exam I spend probably 6-8 hours a day for 2 days reviewing techniques. Written exams I spend just the day before studying, no studying prior to that. I typically score in the high 80's to low 90's with this amount of effort, and so do must of my classmates. I don't see any reason to spend much time on it outside of the classroom unless you want to become an OMM fellow or plan to use it in your future practice (I don't).

Yeah, I'd rather just space out that time to 1-2 hours a week outside of class instead of cramming it all at the end.

Obligatory YMMV.

I spend essentially no time outside of lab/lecture on OMM except for 2-3 days before an exam. Before an exam I spend probably 6-8 hours a day for 2 days reviewing techniques. Written exams I spend just the day before studying, no studying prior to that. I typically score in the high 80's to low 90's with this amount of effort, and so do must of my classmates.

Honestly, my classmates and I are the same way. It's probably not the best management of time, but anatomy and molecular definitely consume more time and take longer to understand than OMM does.

I will agree that you definitely need to understand it at least somewhat. Memorizing it completely can be kind of rough.

We have 4 hours of OMM per week which includes lab and lecture. I literally dont spend a second outside of class practicing it nor studying it. If we have a practical exam coming up (meaning you have to demonstrate techniques and a screening etc), I usually cram the weekend before. Most of my class mates are the exact same, with the exception of about 40-50 people (1/4 of the class) who actually like OMM or want to be a fellow in the fellowship program at my school.......

I usually get class average for OMM scores (high 80s, low 90s), personally I dont enjoy it as much as I had originally thought as a pre-med. I usually use OMM class/lab time to study other subjects lol but this is probably also why the written final exams kill me (although I could care less as OMM is worth very little credit wise at my school)

My Ug has a kinesiology program, for my final semester I only need 9 credits to graduate so I need to pick up 3 more credits to qualify for full time. Considering taking this movement science class:

This course focuses on functional anatomy of the human musculoskeletal system. Students will learn the names and major landmarks of the major bones, the structure and kinematic characteristics of the major joints, as well as the names and functions of all the major muscles in the human body. The course format includes both lecture and laboratory experiences. After taking this course, students will be able to describe human movement in anatomical terms and to identify the specific muscles responsible for controlling human movements.

Is it worth it or should I just take meditation or jazz or something cake walk instead? Thanks!!! :)

My Ug has a kinesiology program, for my final semester I only need 9 credits to graduate so I need to pick up 3 more credits to qualify for full time. Considering taking this movement science class:

This course focuses on functional anatomy of the human musculoskeletal system. Students will learn the names and major landmarks of the major bones, the structure and kinematic characteristics of the major joints, as well as the names and functions of all the major muscles in the human body. The course format includes both lecture and laboratory experiences. After taking this course, students will be able to describe human movement in anatomical terms and to identify the specific muscles responsible for controlling human movements.

Is it worth it or should I just take meditation or jazz or something cake walk instead? Thanks!!! :)

Only take the class if you are actually interested in it. I'm a kinesiology major and you really don't need the extra prep for OMT. If your last semester of undergrad is anything like mine I think you should just play it safe. My mind was so far gone I couldn't have cared less about class.

Hmmm good point, although I do have the option to take it pass/fail if I want to. Its good to know its wont help me all that much though. Thanks for the tips! Meditation psych it is ;-)

I meet with a group out side of the school once a week for about three hours. It's a group of about ten to twelve students that learn directly from a mentor. Honestly, it's the best way. The way that OMM is usually taught is a set of techniques. I think most students get lost that we essentially are learning maybe about 6 or so concepts, but we are just learning how to apply the exact same thing over and over and over and over again (which is why having a mentor really helps out).
Also, I have another mentor that's being doing some work on me that's shown me from the patient side how OMM is. But I do get a decent amount of time to ask him questions or learn about techniques.
So, outside of class I'd say I'm doing about 5-8 hours a week. And yes my grades are fine.