How much to charge as an orgo tutor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ben8934

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Incoming MS1. I've taught organic chem for 4 years now and plan to tutor 2-4 hours/week this year for some spare $. I charged $25/hour in undergrad and $40/hour since graduation last year.

Should I keep my prices the same or is there room to go up?
 
I think it will depend on location. I charge $40/hour in Los Angeles, but there is no way anyone would be willing to pay that where I will be going to school. I'd suggest hopping on a tutoring app like Wyzant and seeing what other OChem tutors charge in your area.
 
Incoming MS1. I've taught organic chem for 4 years now and plan to tutor 2-4 hours/week this year for some spare $. I charged $25/hour in undergrad and $40/hour since graduation last year.

Should I keep my prices the same or is there room to go up?

Supply and demand!

If you find the right students in the right location you could charge $100/hour, or in some places maybe you'll be lucky to get $20/hour. I'd start with a higher price and see if anyone bites, if not slowly drop it until you start getting students. You can always raise it again once you have a reputation as a quality tutor in your new city.