How much to charge as an orgo tutor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ben8934

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Incoming MS1. I've taught organic chem for 4 years now and plan to tutor 2-4 hours/week this year for some spare $. I charged $25/hour in undergrad and $40/hour since graduation last year.

Should I keep my prices the same or is there room to go up?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it will depend on location. I charge $40/hour in Los Angeles, but there is no way anyone would be willing to pay that where I will be going to school. I'd suggest hopping on a tutoring app like Wyzant and seeing what other OChem tutors charge in your area.

Reactions: 1 users
Incoming MS1. I've taught organic chem for 4 years now and plan to tutor 2-4 hours/week this year for some spare $. I charged $25/hour in undergrad and $40/hour since graduation last year.

Should I keep my prices the same or is there room to go up?

Supply and demand!

If you find the right students in the right location you could charge $100/hour, or in some places maybe you'll be lucky to get $20/hour. I'd start with a higher price and see if anyone bites, if not slowly drop it until you start getting students. You can always raise it again once you have a reputation as a quality tutor in your new city.

Reactions: 1 user