How much to rotation site names matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nezutora

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm planning on doing an oncology residency after I graduate and was reading the threads about this topic. I was wondering, though, if the actual rotation site names would matter during the application process? (kinda like when employers might be more biased towards an ivy league graduate compared to someone from the local state school)

On a related note, anyone know of good teaching hospitals/rotation sites in the New York city/North Jersey area? I'm trying to pick my advanced rotations for next year.

Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Most programs do look at the quality of your rotation sites. Try to pick a variety of settings and try to get at least one at an academic medical center.

Academic medical center, places with strong oncology programs, and big places are all good if you want to do oncology. Browse the ASHP residency database and maybe try to set up rotations where there are established residencies to get your foot in the door.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think it is as important for pharmacy as it is for med students.

I don't think it is as important for pharmacy as it is for med students.

If you want a top-notch residency you need top-notch rotations. If you have a bunch of easy rotations, you won't be as competitive as the person who had hard rotations at well known places. That's what a former residency director told me.

Again...everywhere is different.

If you want a top-notch residency you need top-notch rotations. If you have a bunch of easy rotations, you won't be as competitive as the person who had hard rotations at well known places. That's what a former residency director told me.

absolutely. But you can find harder rotations in your area - my experience when trying to set up "away" rotations was that a lot of these "elite" hospitals have fixed arrangements with pharmacy schools in their area and as an outside student you can pick (if there's anything left) after those students are done setting up rotations.

Even going through an individual pharmacist was fairly difficult. I was able to do it for an EPPE (after 2nd year) but it wasn't so simple for 4th year.

i think you will find it near impossible to get an oncology specialty residency right out of graduation without a PGY1.

they are making everything way more difficult. even a 1 yr residency means jack now.

Oncology is a PGY2 program. You need the PGY1 first. Also...you may want to look into fellowships and eventually BCOS once you practice for a few years. Join ACCP and get on the oncology listserves. Take hard rotations. You get out what you put in.

Take hard rotations. You get out what you put in.

I will say that not everyone has a choice in his or her rotations. At Shenandoah, students are restricted for the most part to a geographical area, and they have a choice of rotations within that "cluster." Luckily for me, this isn't a problem, but I'm sure SU isn't the only school that has rotation restrictions.

My residency program has a specific category for "quality of rotation sites" when ranking candidates.

My residency program has a specific category for "quality of rotation sites" when ranking candidates.

They must accept mediocre rotations by their residents... :smuggrin:

I don't necessarily agree with this statement. Definitely don't try to do blow off rotations, but you don't need "top-notch" rotations to be a competitive candidate for a well-known institution. One of my classmates is at Johns Hopkins for his PGY-1 and our school wasn't an "ivy league" school of pharmacy. Actually several of us ended up at well-known institutions w/out rotating through "well known" places. I was worried about the fact that my school wasn't listed as a top 10 school and how it would interfere with my chances of being competitive for "top" programs. But it ended up that it made no difference. Be well rounded, be active, get some great experiences with your rotations and do as much as possible. Grades may help you get in the door, but they aren't the end all. This has been my first-hand experience.

It's important to first learn how little you know to put things in perspective. Then you learn everyday and enjoy and appreciate new information.

haha us too. Not a day goes by that I dont' question why they chose me :) I've heard it gets better.

Good to know it just isn't my program!

I'm learning a lot, but man...half asleep when I go in at 6:30am, beaten down I leave at 6:30pm.