1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

How much to write for writing section?

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by fun8stuff, Apr 10, 2004.

1. fun8stuff

fun8stuff *hiding from patients*
    15+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    How many pages is a good number? I did a few practice and I think I am writing too little. Most of the time I can answer the questions and give examples in just over a page. EK says to do 2 pages though....

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. premyo2002

7+ Year Member

I've usually done about 1-1.5 pages on my PR diag's. That seems to be enough for me to say what I want to say.

4. UCLAstudent

UCLAstudent I'm a luck dragon!
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I try to write a five-paragraph essay. I make it four paragraphs if I'm short on time.

5. Pinkertinkle

Pinkertinkle 2003 Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I wrote a page and a half, got an L. Hope that helps.

6. IndyZX

7+ Year Member

yeah, i was wondering about this too... EK said 2 pages total? or 1 page per essay = 2pages?

7. demnyd

demnyd Junior Member

OK all I hope this helps everyone. You should only write 3 paragraphs. Whether you make it a half page or 5 pages it doesn't matter, it should only be 3 paragraphs. Each paragraph answers an individual task (1. what you think the statement means, 2. describe an incident when this may not occur, 3. discus what determines numbers 1 & 2 to take place), they do not have to be in order. The graders are looking that you understand these tasks in relation with the topic. They will read your essay for only 1 minute then move on to the next. GIVE EXAMPLES!!!! You can't just state the obvious like saying "My beer was in the fridge so it is cold". Give historical citations i.e. MLK or Battle of the Buldge, quote people like Superman or Rocky, strengthen your essay but make sure it's UNIFIED! That's where you get your points. In my practice I do the essays in about 1.5 pages and have done fine. But the graders don't like my handwriting. Eat it graders!