how much volunteer work is best?

Started by SPS100
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SPS100

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone

I was just wondering what would be a sufficient amount of volunteer experience?
 
Just look at the school's requirements on apta or ptcas, and try to do more than that. You can always slink by and get a provisional acceptance (which is still great), but if you want to be competitive at a state-funded school especially, the more the better (I'm one of them-have to make up hours for a private school before final acceptance, but have yet to hear from any state-funded school I've applied to). I didn't even realize it at very first, but keep in mind that you're going up against people that work pt/ft in clinics while going to school, and they get to count those hours as observation hours. If you look at stats on this mb, it can be rather daunting seeing people with over 1K hours, so try to be as competitive as time affords you I suppose.
 
I agree. The more hours you volunteer the more weight you will be adding to your application. I suggest you try to get some hours in a hospital for inpatient care and in a pediatrics setting. Schools like to see students who have been exposed to settings other than just outpatient orthopedic. Most applicants volunteer in an orthopedic clinic because they are easy to get into but if you do some hours in a pediatrics setting you will stand out from the rest.