How much weight does research have on DO schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reese07

15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm sure all schools love to see research. I had zero research and got in no problem though sooo...

Members don't see this ad :)
Research comprised the bulk of the interview discussions at all of my DO interviews. It was the first question asked at 2 interviews because of the extensive experience I had. It seems to be very highly regarded. It certainly is a bonus and that experience will help you get more research in medical school which is indisputably favorable in residency apps.

Depends on the school, but generally research isn't a major requirement for DO schools.

It depends on who's reading your file. I have research but it wasn't brought up once at any of my interviews.

I've heard a lot of conflicting opinions on here regarding the importance vs lack of importance of research for DO schools.

Out of curiosity, how many of those students that don't think research was importance in their interview/ it wasn't brought up had significant experiences? The OP mentions he or she has multiple publications, which is completely different than doing a semester or two of research in a school lab with no publications. I think generic research experiences wouldn't be highly prized at MD schools either and believe it's hard to disregard the time, knowledge, and dedication it takes to get publications. It's the difference of "oh yeah I played football in high school and my intramural team won playoffs in college" versus "I was the captain of my varsity college team and was highly recruited to the program." Both are going to be weighed very differently and reflect different levels of commitment and leadership.

(Also, I'm not saying that those that didn't discuss research at a interview didn't have high quality experiences - I am just hypothesizing there's a general trend)

I've heard a lot of conflicting opinions on here regarding the importance vs lack of importance of research for DO schools.

Out of curiosity, how many of those students that don't think research was importance in their interview/ it wasn't brought up had significant experiences? The OP mentions he or she has multiple publications, which is completely different than doing a semester or two of research in a school lab with no publications. I think generic research experiences wouldn't be highly prized at MD schools either and believe it's hard to disregard the time, knowledge, and dedication it takes to get publications. It's the difference of "oh yeah I played football in high school and my intramural team won playoffs in college" versus "I was the captain of my varsity college team and was highly recruited to the program." Both are going to be weighed very differently and reflect different levels of commitment and leadership.

(Also, I'm not saying that those that didn't discuss research at a interview didn't have high quality experiences - I am just hypothesizing there's a general trend)

Nice input!

I have quite a bit of research experience, and was only asked about it at 2 of my 6 interviews. At one, I brought it up briefly in response to a question I was asked, and the interviewer seemed annoyed, saying, "well we are here to produce clinicians, not researchers.." Yeah, obviously, thank you. So I would say in my experience, some schools definitely appreciate research more than others.

I have quite a bit of research experience, and was only asked about it at 2 of my 6 interviews. At one, I brought it up briefly in response to a question I was asked, and the interviewer seemed annoyed, saying, "well we are here to produce clinicians, not researchers.." Yeah, obviously, thank you. So I would say in my experience, some schools definitely appreciate research more than others.

Lol wow that's a rude interviewer.

Someone is bitter about the research prestigious MDs.

Someone is bitter about the research prestigious MDs.

I agree. That is a pretty bitter remark. I would probably awkwardly laugh for a second if that happened to me in an interview.

I have tons of research experience and a couple of co-author papers published. I tied in how my pandemic disease biomedical research is important for public health and underserved communities and such but is it that valuable to my application? Which DO schools would appreciate this more than others? Also, is it bad to have too much research where it overshadows my clinical experiences? My clinical ecs are decent but not extraordinary.
I think all schools value this kind of thing...

Research is always good. Even if it doesn't result in publication, it shows maturity, commitment, and understanding of the scientific process. If you're able to successfully verbalize in the interview what you did and why it was important to the project and your path to medicine, that's the most important thing.

Members don't see this ad :)

Wow.

I know DO schools usually don't have the resources to pour into research, but at least pretend the research that does happen at your school is worth a damn.

I organized, authored, applied and received funding and approval for an original research project of my own using mice in a study of depression. Its been a huge process spanning over a year in length. Both of my DO interviews hardly touched on it, and at both of my MD interviews I talked nearly the majority of the time about it. I think all of them valued it, but I think it's pretty clear that schools who receive government funding are going to value it higher than private schools. (The schools I interviewed at were University of Utah, University of Miami Miller, Des Moines University, and Rocky Vista University)

I split my time after undergrad in 2007 so I did 2 years immunology research at MGH, then medical assistant about 4 years now. Interestingly the DO schools focused exclusively on my clinical experience and only once was my research mentioned and then only to ask why I changed. MD schools however have discussed primarily my research. I interviewed at Georgetown last year and I was never even able to discuss my work as a medical assistant, which may be my fault in not trying to force the issue but hey it was my first interview ever. Anyways, from my experience, DO schools are less concerned with research experience.

I only scheduled two DO interviews so I don't have a good sense of DO schools in general, but my research background and accomplishments came up during both interviews. At the time, I was surprised that LECOM-B asked me about it directly since they have incredibly limited research opportunities at that campus. Even if a school lacks research it doesn't mean they don't value it.

My research is Organic Chemistry related but its not medically related at all. It relates to drug delivery but that is about it. Is that fine?

My research is Organic Chemistry related but its not medically related at all. It relates to drug delivery but that is about it. Is that fine?

Of course. How is drug delivery not medically relevant?

I'd be surprised if DO schools care very much. There is very little research going on at all the DO schools I know. I'm just an M1 but If you want to do research I'd go MD. I don't see the point of giving yourself a strong research background then going to DO school where you won't really use it.

I'd be surprised if DO schools care very much. There is very little research going on at all the DO schools I know. I'm just an M1 but If you want to do research I'd go MD. I don't see the point of giving yourself a strong research background then going to DO school where you won't really use it.
... which DO schools do you know?

Sure a lot of them don't have much research but the public schools actually have just as much going on as MD schools.

A strong research background is a good asset for any physician, MD or DO... You won't "waste" your research skills by going DO if that's what you're trying to say.

I don't see the point of giving yourself a strong research background then going to DO school where you won't really use it.

That is exactly the attitude I hope future DOs decide to drop.

Personally, I'm getting 1 pub via my school during the 1st semester M1, submitting 2 manuscripts from outside institutions/ previous work, and have planned 2+ clinical pubs for the second half M1 and the summer. While that isn't the norm for MD or DO, it is more than possible to have research opportunities if you choose to. There are MANY, MANY opportunities, especially if you reach beyond your home institution.

I don't plan to pursue a research career, but you're out of your mind if you don't think those experiences increase your competitiveness, create invaluable contacts and networking opportunities, and allow you to learn more about a specialty that you could ever hope for during a couple weeks of an elective rotation.

No one outside of the DO profession respects OMM because there is no body of credible research backing it. No wonder MDs look down on it. While not everyone needs to do research or have an academic career, it would seriously benefit the profession in general to have more DOs thriving in academic institutions and producing notable academic contributions.

We've been told by multiple professors and dean that publishing is one of the best things you can do for your future early in med school, aside from killing Step 1.

1) It helps build your capacity to think and analyze information.
2) Plenty of DO schools do research either on campus or have strong connections to research institutes in the area.
3) Research really is probably one of the few useful thing you'll do in college save for being a board member of a high functioning organization or learning how to type/read.

Agree with all the pro research junkies.

I did two years of virology research, and it really helped me to think critically. It also helped me know that research wasnt for me lol:p

For all those prospective pre osteopathic students out there, I would sincerely recommend research in any capacity. You might be able to get a good letter of recommendation as well :naughty:

I would consider myself a borderline candidate, and I think that doing researches just one extra plus push a borderline applicant from wait list to acceptance.

I did absolutely 0 research and it was never brought up

I did absolutely 0 research and it was never brought up

That's probably why though. I don't think they're going to ask you why you didn't do research anymore than why you didn't work at Walmart to get perspective on the struggles of the classes as a sociology major.

OMS-IV here. View research as just one route. I didn't really do any, and I was interviewed/accepted at multiple places. HOWEVER, I had a lot of volunteer/leadership/EC stuff, and it was geared toward the kind of medicine I want to practice.

If you are passionate about your research, you should do it, and it will be to your advantage. It's not that DO schools don't care, it's that they are happy with you demonstrating commitment/passion/interest in other ways.

I will say this- research is a huge factor in residency, depending on your speciality. Many specialties will not care (EM, family, psych), but the more competitive fields will almost always require it. Residency seems light-years away right now, but keep in mind you are laying the foundation for your career even now. :)