How Much Weight Does This Hold?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BigD311

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am the second name on an NIH publication. I've also been invited to speak at an NIH conference for this same research. How much weight will this alone have?

The rest of my app is not really too much of a concern, just curious about this new development. Applying in June 2010.

Members don't see this ad.

I am the second name on an NIH publication. I've also been invited to speak at an NIH conference for this same research. How much weight will this alone have?

The rest of my app is not really too much of a concern, just curious about this new development. Applying in June 2010.

should be helpful...nobody can say for sure because different schools will view it differently.....

would you call that a "hook" for some research heavy schools?

I don't really know how to take this. I don't tend to make big deals about things but the reaction of some people seem to make me think that this will be a show stopper in some places. Just trying to filter out the hype.

I think my lack of enthusiasm for these things stems from the realization that I have no friggin idea what med schools want from us anymore...

Members don't see this ad :)

'bout tree fiddy.

Dude, that rocks. Top schools will likely be impressed. BUT, no one here can tell you for sure how it'll play out. So as long as your numbers are solid and the rest of your ECs cover your bases, apply to all the top schools you want to because you have something that could definitely catch their attention.

So research is good, don't get me wrong, but you have to keep in mind you are applying to medical school and not a Ph.D. program. Research is really only going to be super important if you're doing a combined degree. Otherwise it's just one more line on the app. I went into most interviews fully armed with the "important research" to talk about that my pre-med advisor informed me was of oh so much importance. At most it may have been discussed for 2-3 minutes, leaving anywhere from 30 to 45 minutes of interview to talk about other stuff.

I hate to say it, but unless you're going to a very research heavy school, people who tell you how important research is to getting into med school, are people who don't know a lot about the process.

It's definitely a plus to any app! Just don't let it be your keystone ;)

It definitely won't hurt. Like others have said, exactly how much it will help probably varies by school

would you call that a "hook" for some research heavy schools?

I don't really know how to take this. I don't tend to make big deals about things but the reaction of some people seem to make me think that this will be a show stopper in some places. Just trying to filter out the hype.

I think my lack of enthusiasm for these things stems from the realization that I have no friggin idea what med schools want from us anymore...

7 pounds of flesh, 8 years of time.

The weight it holds is proportional to the quality of the journal. Basically its impact factor and other measures

I wish I knew the answer, I have three sole-authored journal articles and 6 conference papers (5 first author, 1 sole author) and I'm in a similar boat. Would be interesting to know the answer.

I think this sort of stuff is excellent for "top-ranked" schools (because of their research emphasis). But remember the barrier to entry is high gpa/MCAT...so make sure you've got that all in line, and I think you will be in a good position to get into some pretty competitive places if you want to.