How much weight would this LOR carry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yanks26dmb

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be getting a LOR from a friend's father, who has also collaborated with said friend and myself on a research grant application. Friend's father is a very well respected physician in his field and professor at a highly-ranked medical school.

If I were to apply to the school he lectures at, would my application get any extra attention?

Members don't see this ad.

If he is indeed well respected and recognized, that would have some extra influence on your application.

However, if you are not a good fit to that school, don't have sufficient stats or ECs, or have a weak letter from him, it is insignificant.

It may have a slightly larger influence if the admissions committee know him personally and respect him. But I really wouldn't count on it to do anything special or make up for any deficits in your application. A strong letter is a strong letter. I doubt it would make your app receive 'special attention'.

Members don't see this ad :)
It might land you an interview. Then it's on you.

I will be getting a LOR from a friend's father, who has also collaborated with said friend and myself on a research grant application. Friend's father is a very well respected physician in his field and professor at a highly-ranked medical school.

If I were to apply to the school he lectures at, would my application get any extra attention?

Let me put it this way: It can only help!

Depends on the situation. The influence could be pretty big though.

If adcom members know him, then definitely! If not, I wouldn't say you would receive special attention because I doubt adcom members have time to look up credentials of all letter writers. Like others said, having a strong letter can only help. Good luck!

It is less likely to be helpful if it mentions that you're the friend of his son. And if his only source of personal information about you is working on a grant proposal, I'd question whether it will have enough relevant commentary to get you extra points with an adcomm.

Reactions: 1 users

So by "collaborated on a grant application" you mean he helped you and your friend write a grant. What would his LOR actually say about you? In what professional capacity does he even know you?

You do understand the concept of a LOR, right?

Sent from my iPad using SDN Mobile

So by "collaborated on a grant application" you mean he helped you and your friend write a grant. What would his LOR actually say about you? In what professional capacity does he even know you?

No, why would you assume that?

We (along our co-PI wrote the application). Friend's father happens to also be a consultant and is often hired to collaborate on grant applications, but being a friend's father, he helped us free of charge.

I've known the man for 15 years, and worked with him extensively over a period of 6 months. LOR from him seems appropriate, no? Or are you just being intentionally argumentative?

Actually, don't even bother answering that. I'm blocking you. Continue your miserable ways elsewhere.

So he helped you write a grant for six months. I stand totally corrected, he is basically your mentor.

While I was initially just guessing that this LOR was just an excuse for you to name-drop on your apps, your convoluted attempt at justification followed by your passive-aggressive "block" only serves to provide legitimacy to my guess.

Maybe you can get him to join SDN so he can argue your points for you too.

If he is completely frank and notes that he has known you for 15 years, the letter will have minimal value as it is clear than yours if primarily a personal relationship and not a professional relationship and therefore not unbiased.

Also, keep in mind that fellow faculty members may or may not be impressed or influenced depending on their personal opinions of the faculty member. The letter might actually be more valuable at schools where no one knows the LOR writer personally.