How much will a 3yr gap hurt my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrNoCavity

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
a

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Not if you were spending your time wisely (and building your application) like you stated above. In many cases it helps your cause.

Reactions: 1 users
I worked the entire period (not dentistry related), shadowed occasionally, and took the dat.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Many schools are welcoming of dental school applicants of a nontraditional background. Key thing is being able to talk about transitioning from your previous career into dentistry. PM me if you need more info!

Took a break for 4 years, between 2 colleges and working on helping family business.

Got in just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I think if you're actually doing something to contribute to the wellness of your application (dental job, community service, informal post bac classes, anything really) then it wouldn't matter, just make sure your DAT is current ( I think it's a 5 year cut off)

was thinking the same thing earlier. If i were to go into the military for say 3 years to get the gi bill to help pay for possible med school (assuming i could get in, but i would be making this decision at the end of my junior year in undergraduate once i'm making applications) would this hurt or help my chances? knowing that i would have been 3 years out of schooling/studying and may appear rusty as opposed to applying and attending right after my senior year?

Military is definitely relevant work experience (ARMY STRONG, leadership, etc etc). Also as an older (and 1st time) applicant that's probably seen some **** you would appear more mature and confident in your life decisions.

The average age of an entering D1 is 24-25 these days.. the fact that you're doing something productive, beneficial to your family and has helped you grow in some way justifies the fact that the work you've done isn't dental-related.