How much would a sudden drop in grades affect admissions chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

westcoast.catlover

Reaction score
Hi all,

As the title says, I'm wondering how vet schools may judge a sudden drop in grades.

For more context, and why I'm so worried, I graduated undergrad in biochemistry with a 3.9. Currently, however, I'm taking a prereq that I didn't have the foresight to complete during undergrad and I'm a hovering around the 3.0 mark. While I know a 3.0 isn't a terrible grade, it is a significant drop from my trend during undergrad and now I'm freaking out thinking that vet schools will think my 3.9 isn't "legit" (since this grade will be most recent) and that may hurt my competitiveness. I personally know the circumstances of why I have a lower grade (massive power outage right before one exam which didn't help my performance, a death in the family, being tripped up by COVID making everything online which is seriously affecting my test-taking abilities, I'm working full-time vs. being a full-time student), but I'm worried schools won't accept those as a reasonable reasons for such a drop or even just take the time to consider those circumstances. Furthermore, while I know there's often a space to explain hardships that affected your road to vet school, I'm worried that mentioning and defending the grade drop won't help me, but actually cause admissions committees to fixate more on the lower grade.

I guess I just need some outside perspective, whether that's telling me I'm getting worked up over nothing or that the 3.0 isn't great but not the end of the world, so I can accept the situation and move on from it. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Don't sweat it. One B is not end-all-be-all ;)

Reactions: 4 users