how often are lab values inserted on step i?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bulldog

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
are lab values generally in most questions on step i? i've glanced over robbins review of path and every question basically requires u to interpret lab values. is this similar to step i? (at least for path).

Members don't see this ad.

No, only a few questions on Step 1 give values you won't know. Honestly, I only think I looked up the normal lab values on ~5 questions out of 350, and I most definitely did not know normal values off the top of my high. Most questions giving values will be obvious to you (like blood sugar=350).

I agree, most give lab values and then in parenthesis will give the normal range as well. I think only on like 5-7 needed looking up.

It's a time saver if you know the normal values from the basics: Na/K/Cl/CO2/Ca/BUN/Cr. Know basic blood (RBC/WBC/platelets) and MCV. I would not worry about thyroid or any hormones...if you need them, they are fast to look up. But you don't want to be looking over every chance you get, because that does wate time.

I found that if a lab value was supposed to be abnormal, it was ABNORMAL, not just a WBC of 11.5 (barely out of normal).
Also, remember that soemtimes the lab values don;t seem to make sense, and that is when you think of secondary causes (hyperparathyroidism, both steps)

electra