How often are physicians drug tested?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jjeangi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's a dead cert that some health-care professionals have an affinity for the Maui Wowie.

My mom is a nurse works with one that dated her and admitted he does it on the weekends sometimes. And then there's this guy....

I do it occasionally and I do like it. I wonder if I will actually have to stop permanently one day. I'm not looking to get preached to about ethics. Just wondering how do physicians get away with it if their job supposedly has random tests.

Or is it like most jobs where random tests are always on the table, but rarely done unless there is a reasonable suspicion?

Members don't see this ad.

If you own your own practice you make the rules ^^

But seriously, physicians are people. Plenty of them smoke and are alcoholics like normal people too. As long as youre not coming to work messed up I doubt thered be a drug test past the initial one that the majority of healthcare places do.

Prepare to be attacked by the righteous on this board ;p

If they are being drug tested, I'm not sure if testing also includes opiates and breathalyzers. There's been a number of news reports on doctors addicted to alcohol and pain killers and they practice day to day while on these things. I wouldn't be surprised to find out some doctors were smoking green and practicing either.

Do whatever you want in your free time, but on the job I'd say it amounts to something criminal (if something goes wrong of course). Private practices probably won't test, but if you work for a hospital with a policy or as a salaried physician in a large group, you might be tested.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's a dead cert that some health-care professionals have an affinity for the Maui Wowie.

My mom is a nurse works with one that dated her and admitted he does it on the weekends sometimes. And then there's this guy....

I do it occasionally and I do like it. I wonder if I will actually have to stop permanently one day. I'm not looking to get preached to about ethics. Just wondering how do physicians get away with it if their job supposedly has random tests.

Or is it like most jobs where random tests are always on the table, but rarely done unless there is a reasonable suspicion?

You will generally be tested before you start residency, and as a condition for certain employment. A few med schools drug test, but not most. While most doctors aren't tested randomly or regularly, the trend for testing is increasing, and the tests are getting more sophisticated and sensitive.

Be aware that even though the chances of you being tested during med school are quite low, the risks are quite high. You become ineligible for student loans if you're convicted of a drug-related crime (though I imagine these are federal vs. state/local charges), and I imagine that having drug convictions will make it a bit of a hassle to get your DEA license (i.e., to be able to write prescriptions).

The degree of social acceptance of MJ is definitely increasing, but until it becomes legalized and acceptable you should be aware of the pretty significant risks. I'm not leaning one way or the other in terms of whether it's cool or not, just be smart about it.

Be aware that even though the chances of you being tested during med school are quite low, the risks are quite high. You become ineligible for student loans if you're convicted of a drug-related crime (though I imagine these are federal vs. state/local charges), and I imagine that having drug convictions will make it a bit of a hassle to get your DEA license (i.e., to be able to write prescriptions).

The degree of social acceptance of MJ is definitely increasing, but until it becomes legalized and acceptable you should be aware of the pretty significant risks. I'm not leaning one way or the other in terms of whether it's cool or not, just be smart about it.
Now doube check this and don't just go off my word, but I'm fairly certain that testing positive for marijuana is not a crime (i.e. there is now law against failing a drug test), though there could be school rules against it (so they could rescind an acceptance for that if they wanted, I know some schools drug test acceptees planning to matriculate). But for a drug crime, that would have to be possession, trafficking or purchase/sale of marijuana (or any illegal drug), not just testing positive for it. That being said, don't do it anyway; still too much risk to be worth it.

You will generally be tested before you start residency, and as a condition for certain employment. A few med schools drug test, but not most. While most doctors aren't tested randomly or regularly, the trend for testing is increasing, and the tests are getting more sophisticated and sensitive.

So by all means guys, keep doing it.;)

This risk/reward. The odds of getting caught are exceedingly low. But what happens if you do? If you lose your dea liscence, you're done. What happens if you spend 4 years of undergrad, 4 years of med school then get caught at some point during your residency or first few years as an attending. How are you going to pay off your student loans, buy a house, or provide for your family if you're an MD who can't write for anything?

I'm not judging you for it. Frankly, I don't really get why it's illegal, but it is. It's not real smart to do it and it's definitely dumb to ever have it on you. I'm not saying people don't do it, but it's not worth it.

Now doube check this and don't just go off my word, but I'm fairly certain that testing positive for marijuana is not a crime (i.e. there is now law against failing a drug test), though there could be school rules against it (so they could rescind an acceptance for that if they wanted, I know some schools drug test acceptees planning to matriculate). But for a drug crime, that would have to be possession, trafficking or purchase/sale of marijuana (or any illegal drug), not just testing positive for it. That being said, don't do it anyway; still too much risk to be worth it.

Definitely true, but testing positive (especially during the clinical years) could result in dismassal from your institution. No formal crime is necessary.

(sent from my phone)

Definitely true, but testing positive (especially during the clinical years) could result in dismassal from your institution. No formal crime is necessary.

Exactly...I can't see why an institution would bother spending the money on testing if they didn't care about a positive result. No hospital is going to go "lolz, you should have seen the look on your face! No consequences!" :laugh:

Exactly...I can't see why an institution would bother spending the money on testing if they didn't care about a positive result. No hospital is going to go "lolz, you should have seen the look on your face! No consequences!" :laugh:

:laugh: That would be the best drug test policy ever. I might do that if I had a private practice.

OP, just don't get caught. A lot of people have burned recreationally, but you'll have a blemish on your record if you get caught. There are plenty of other capable candidates for med school and residency that will have a clean record, so don't bank on good grades/MCAT/Boards to redeem an arrest or failed drug test.

I recommend you bring this up during your medical school interviews if you get any. Asking "Do you guys do drug testing" is a great icebreaker. Or you should list it as a hobby or extracurricular activity.

Members don't see this ad :)
Residencies seem to drug test, so now I only use bath salts since they don't test for those

Many schools are requiring it before going on the wards. It all depends on the hospital policies.

It's almost universal before residency.

(sent from my phone)
Yeah, I was just referring to the matter of student loans and drug convictions

And to add to what everybody said, heavy MJ use will stay in your system for up to a month.

You need to stop well in advance otherwise you will be screwed.

I have also heard of rotation sites testing. You may not know until they email you for the beginning of the rotation.

The issue is this: legality. The cost benefit is not high enough to jeopardize your career. As others have said, the loss of a DEA number would be an extreme hindrance to your career if not prohibitive.

Is this something that's started recently? I've been an attending for 7 years and have never even heard of drug testing throughout school, residency, and now working.

Is this something that's started recently? I've been an attending for 7 years and have never even heard of drug testing throughout school, residency, and now working.

Probably. Harsher legal climate I suppose.

Although I think the schools that rotate through VA hospitals have always had to do it due to bureaucratic BS.

Teen pot use linked to decline in IQ

http://vitals.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/08/27/13509508-teen-pot-use-linked-to-decline-in-iq?lite

Teens who smoke marijuana see their IQs drop as adults, and deficits persist even after quitting, according to a new study. "The findings are consistent with speculation that cannabis use in adolescence, when the brain is undergoing critical development, may have neurotoxic effects," study researcher Madeline Meier of Duke University said in a statement. The study followed 1,037 New Zealand children for 25 years. Subjects took IQ tests at age 13, before any of them had smoked marijuana, and again at age 38. Throughout the study, participants also answered several surveys about their drug use. Roughly 5 percent of the participants started using marijuana as teenagers. Those who smoked marijuana at least four times a week and used marijuana throughout their life saw their IQ drop an average of 8 points, the equivalent of going from an A to a B student. The drop was not explained by other drug use, years of education, schizophrenia or using marijuana in the day before the test.

The study is detailed Aug. 27 in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

Teen pot use linked to decline in IQ

http://vitals.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/08/27/13509508-teen-pot-use-linked-to-decline-in-iq?lite

Teens who smoke marijuana see their IQs drop as adults, and deficits persist even after quitting, according to a new study. "The findings are consistent with speculation that cannabis use in adolescence, when the brain is undergoing critical development, may have neurotoxic effects," study researcher Madeline Meier of Duke University said in a statement. The study followed 1,037 New Zealand children for 25 years. Subjects took IQ tests at age 13, before any of them had smoked marijuana, and again at age 38. Throughout the study, participants also answered several surveys about their drug use. Roughly 5 percent of the participants started using marijuana as teenagers. Those who smoked marijuana at least four times a week and used marijuana throughout their life saw their IQ drop an average of 8 points, the equivalent of going from an A to a B student. The drop was not explained by other drug use, years of education, schizophrenia or using marijuana in the day before the test.

The study is detailed Aug. 27 in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

These effects were limited to teens, though, which makes them less-than-relevant for someone who wants to smoke in med school.

Actually, the article is completely irrelevant to this thread...OP wasn't asking whether you think smoking is smart, just whether there was a high probability of it negatively impacting their career prospects.

These effects were limited to teens, though, which makes them less-than-relevant for someone who wants to smoke in med school.

Actually, the article is completely irrelevant to this thread...OP wasn't asking whether you think smoking is smart, just whether there was a high probability of it negatively impacting their career prospects.

Ya b/c its not possible those who started later (adults) had less exposure/ less impact and no med students aren't involved in cognitive activity at all. :rolleyes:

Ya b/c its not possible those who started later (adults) had less exposure/ less impact and no med students aren't involved in cognitive activity at all. :rolleyes:

It's possible, but his point still stands; your article doesn't address your speculations. Thus, we can't draw any conclusions from what you've posted.

The biggest pothead I knew got into Harvard HST.

So obviously this strong correlation drawn from anecdotal evidence clearly means that pot is good for you, and to get into Harvard you must smoke it.