How often do people with 10+ IIs not get in anywhere?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IIRC, they do tend to get more applications than these other schools, making them slightly more "low yield." But I know people who interviewed at Brown (who didn't go to Brown undergrad) and didn't get interviews at some of the other schools you mentioned, so I wouldn't necessarily cross them off a list.
Yup, I'm sure the reason it is lower yield (and attracts more apps) is because its lower stats make it appear to be more attainable to more people. But, as you pointed out, this still means it IS more attainable than T20!

Members don't see this ad.

I've never told anyone not to apply to Brown. In the end, each applicant needs to assess their strengths and weaknesses and the fit of the schools and their locations.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Every medical school gets state funding? I doubt that. I know residency are funded by Medicare.
To my knowledge. - Research, subsidies, grants, tax breaks, etc. This is my understanding with all non-profit schools. It doesn't translate to an admission preference everywhere, but it does in most places, either implicitly or explicitly. Look at any private school in MSAR. The only ones I found in my limited sampling of 36 mostly top schools that did not have an IS admission preference were WashU, Northwestern, Yale, Cornell, Case and JHU. At Vandy the accept rate is 10% IS and 5% OOS. How else do you explain this? Is TN really known for producing the most talented students in the nation? :cool:

The only ones I found in my limited sampling of 36 mostly top schools that did not have an IS admission preference were WashU, Northwestern, Yale, Cornell, Case and JHU. At Vandy the accept rate is 10% IS and 5% OOS. How else do you explain this? Is TN really known for producing the most talented students in the nation? :cool:
I don't know that much about TN but may be TN students are smarter due to hot chicken, country music and smoky mountains air?

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I don't know that much about TN but may be TN students are smarter due to hot chicken, country music and smoky mountains air?
No -- part of it is that Vandy knows it sees a higher yield from TN, and part is pressure from the state in return for all the money it receives every year. This is very typical. Just look at all the private schools outside CA that your kid applied to.

To my knowledge. - Research, subsidies, grants, tax breaks, etc. This is my understanding with all non-profit schools. It doesn't translate to an admission preference everywhere, but it does in most places, either implicitly or explicitly. Look at any private school in MSAR. The only ones I found in my limited sampling of 36 mostly top schools that did not have an IS admission preference were WashU, Northwestern, Yale, Cornell, Case and JHU. At Vandy the accept rate is 10% IS and 5% OOS. How else do you explain this? Is TN really known for producing the most talented students in the nation? :cool:
You didnt mention that Pitt, a state school with in state funding only takes 35% in state students.

You didnt mention that Pitt, a state school with in state funding only takes 35% in state students.
That's right -- I didn't because their IS admit rate is 10.13% while their OOS admit rate is 4.64%! They only have 35% IS students, but IS students comprise only 12% of their applicant pool. They happen to heavily favor IS applicants! :cool:

By the way -- fun fact -- Pitt is a private school, notwithstanding its name. Just like Penn. :cool:

• Okay...
Reactions: 1 user
You would be incorrect and you logic is faulty. A Funner fact. Pitt was a private school and became a State Related School in 1966 and gets state funding to reduce tuition for in state residents of whom they only accept 35 % out of all applicants. The reason their in state applicant pool is small is that everyone in state realizes their chance of admission is small. If they actually favored in state applicants, their in state applicant pool would be larger
:cool:

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
You would be incorrect and you logic is faulty. A Funner fact. Pitt was a private school and became a State Related School in 1966 and gets state funding to reduce tuition for in state residents of whom they only accept 35 % out of all applicants. The reason their in state applicant pool is small is that everyone in state realizes their chance of admission is small. If they actually favored in state applicants, their in state applicant pool would be larger
:cool:
My logic is faulty? The OOS admit rate is less than half the IS admit rate, and there is no IS preference? And MY logic is faulty?? :laugh:

It doesn't matter WHY the IS pool is small -- IS applicants are over twice as likely to be admitted as OOS -- the very definition of a preference.

I have no idea what a "State Related School" is, but it sure doesn't mean much when the IS tuition discount is a whopping 3.7% (from $60,922 to $58,676 -- does that sound right for a true public school?), but, either way, I am sure they receive state funding because I am pretty sure all non-profit med schools, private as well as public, receive some state funding. MSAR states that Pitt is a private school in 2020, although I do see that US News calls the university public.

And, as I said above, most med schools certainly give some IS admission preference, INCLUDING Pitt, which gives a rather significant one. Why are you arguing that 12% of the pool comprising 35% of the class does not constitute a huge preference, when the admit rate is jumping from under 5% to over 10%? Are you actually trying to suggest that there is no IS preference, and the reason the 12% has an admit rate more than double the 88% is because it is objectively more than twice as strong, with no preference? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Their IS pool is what it is. I'm sure the reason it isn't larger is because, with a whopping $2,246 discount off the OOS tuition rate, there is no incentive for IS applicants to choose it over just about any school in country, since their IS tuition rate is roughly comparable to private or OOS public school tuition just about everywhere. That said, an IS applicant still has a greater than 200% chance to be admitted as compared to an OOS candidate. To most people, that would qualify as an advantage and a preference, assuming one wanted to spend over $83K per year to go to med school in Pittsburgh.

Last edited:
Because only 35% of matriculants come from IS. Saying for example, they take 50% pf 10 IS applicants, a small number of applicants, is favoring IS is rather disengenuois. I explained why IS applicants are small. You are trolling. Good evening.

• Love
Because only 35% of matriculants come from IS. Saying for example, they take 50% pf 10 IS applicants, a small number of applicants, is favoring IS is rather disengenuois. I explained why IS applicants are small. You are trolling. Good evening.
Not sure why you think I'm trolling. I'm not trolling, and I'm not wrong.

It's not 50% of 10 -- it's 10.13% of 839 IS, as compared to 4.64% of 6,035 OOS. I made the exact same point in another thread discussing IS MCAT medians at Hopkins, where they only have 10 IS matriculants. You can't say that here, with a nearly 7,000 person pool that is 12% IS, but has an IS acceptance rate more than double that for OOS. It's a statistically significant preference with a very decent sample size. The IS sample size is far from small, although it's true that other schools in PA have an even greater IS preference. Of course, they also have lower rankings, so maybe that has something to do with it?

Bottom line at Pitt -- a 12% IS applicant pool becomes a 35% IS class due to a significant admission preference (from 4.64% to 10.13%) and a significant IS yield bump (from 38% to 66%). Period. Given their pool, the only way to get that 35% up further would be to dip even deeper into their IS pool than they already do, and they apparently value their US News ranking a little too much to do that. Good evening to you too! :cool:

Last edited:
  • Dislike
This thread is a good example of why it’s important for every student to do their own research, and when in doubt, shoot your shot. Trust me, I wouldn’t be in medical school if buzzer-beater half court shots didn’t work on occasion.
Okay, enough corny stuff, really I just wanted to make a post ended with a :cool:

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
This thread is a good example of why it’s important for every student to do their own research, and when in doubt, shoot your shot. Trust me, I wouldn’t be in medical school if buzzer-beater half court shots didn’t work on occasion.
Okay, enough corny stuff, really I just wanted to make a post ended with a :cool:
In other words ignore adcom clichés?

Status
Not open for further replies.