How old do my books need to be for DAT in 2019?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kingo1996

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So I am taking the DAT in summer of 2019 around July, but for this summer I want to study biology just to refresh and make notes so when I study for the DAT they are clear and fresher in my head. Many people tell me its too early but I like to review a bit ahead not to completely learn it but so it is not too new to me by next year. So for now my study sources is the Biocliff notes from 2009 (3rd edition). I also downloaded Feralis biology notes which I heard are helpful and I have a Kaplan DAT eighth edition book from 2012. Are these books too old? I heard at least the ferallis note and biocliff notes are excellent but I am not sure if i should get a more updated book.

Also, there is a lady offering me a Destroyer Bundle (worth 400 dollars) for 185 dollars. it has all the 4 books but its from 2017, will the question be too different by 2019? Also i heard the math destroyer will change a lot and its practically useless.

If anyone can help me with this it will be great. I just want to know if I am wasting my time studying from old books or should it be fine? I know a lot of people will say its too early but thats the way I like to study.

thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I didnt use feralis but biocliff notes was great (same edition) and itll definitely still be relevant for years to come.
I gained a lot from watching Chad's videos, he includes great strategies that saved me time, especially on math.
I found that taking the practice tests and PAT stimulators were crucial from DAT Bootcamp. Some of the questions on the DAT seemed identical and I only knew the answer because I had taken the practice tests.
Dont waste money on Crack the DAT.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone,

So I am taking the DAT in summer of 2019 around July, but for this summer I want to study biology just to refresh and make notes so when I study for the DAT they are clear and fresher in my head. Many people tell me its too early but I like to review a bit ahead not to completely learn it but so it is not too new to me by next year. So for now my study sources is the Biocliff notes from 2009 (3rd edition). I also downloaded Feralis biology notes which I heard are helpful and I have a Kaplan DAT eighth edition book from 2012. Are these books too old? I heard at least the ferallis note and biocliff notes are excellent but I am not sure if i should get a more updated book.

Also, there is a lady offering me a Destroyer Bundle (worth 400 dollars) for 185 dollars. it has all the 4 books but its from 2017, will the question be too different by 2019? Also i heard the math destroyer will change a lot and its practically useless.

If anyone can help me with this it will be great. I just want to know if I am wasting my time studying from old books or should it be fine? I know a lot of people will say its too early but thats the way I like to study.

thank you!
Ferallis was useful for me and biology really hasn't changed that much. For the Cliff Notes only use the 3rd edition. The fourth and newer have taken out things that are important for DAT because the AP exam changed. I never used Kaplan but again for everything but QR you should be ok with a 2012 as long as that is not your only study material.

I liked the destroyer but it is almost entirely for practice questions you can buy it now if you can get a good deal but it will not really help you learn content. Again QR will be less helpful with the loss of trig and addition of QC.

Like Jlm50 said looking at Chads free videos in your downtime might. He does a pretty good job of explaining OC and GC. For PAT find some free generators to do while on the bus or before classes start. PAT is really the one where lots of exposure even farther out will probably help you. I started studying about 6-7 months before my test. I did kind of a easy going review for the same reason. I am a non-traditional and it was 7 years since I had seen genchem. The DAT forum might have better hints for you, but feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I didnt use feralis but biocliff notes was great (same edition) and itll definitely still be relevant for years to come.
I gained a lot from watching Chad's videos, he includes great strategies that saved me time, especially on math.
I found that taking the practice tests and PAT stimulators were crucial from DAT Bootcamp. Some of the questions on the DAT seemed identical and I only knew the answer because I had taken the practice tests.
Dont waste money on Crack the DAT.
Wouldnt the bootcamp be more of a source to study feom once im closer to the DAT? What about now that I am a year ahead?

Ferallis was useful for me and biology really hasn't changed that much. For the Cliff Notes only use the 3rd edition. The fourth and newer have taken out things that are important for DAT because the AP exam changed. I never used Kaplan but again for everything but QR you should be ok with a 2012 as long as that is not your only study material.

I liked the destroyer but it is almost entirely for practice questions you can buy it now if you can get a good deal but it will not really help you learn content. Again QR will be less helpful with the loss of trig and addition of QC.

Like Jlm50 said looking at Chads free videos in your downtime might. He does a pretty good job of explaining OC and GC. For PAT find some free generators to do while on the bus or before classes start. PAT is really the one where lots of exposure even farther out will probably help you. I started studying about 6-7 months before my test. I did kind of a easy going review for the same reason. I am a non-traditional and it was 7 years since I had seen genchem. The DAT forum might have better hints for you, but feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
Thank you that was really helpful, im mostly freaking out about studying and dedicating so much time on kaplan and the biocliff notes from years ago and it might not have the same content as the DAT will in 2019.

Thank you that was really helpful, im mostly freaking out about studying and dedicating so much time on kaplan and the biocliff notes from years ago and it might not have the same content as the DAT will in 2019.
Cliff notes have been used and relevant for a lot of years and I haven't heard of any major bio changes. Cliffs does a great job, in my opinion, is going to be better than kaplan because it assumes you know nothing where Kaplan (I assume) will assume that you know certain things and might gloss some of the topics.