How old is everyone? Non-trads?

Started by Saluki313
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Wow! Lots of non-trads! Makes me feel better too! I'm 29 and after 10 years of barn managing and vet teching, I decided to get my B.S. now with hope of getting into vet school in 2015. I'm also going to apply to RVC and other UK schools that only require 2 years of prereqs before applying. Fingers crossed! 🙂
 
Just turned 31.
I flunked out of college in '98 and thought I could be happy without achieving my Veterinary dream....then a couple of years ago I saw an old classmate from HS. They said something about knowing I wouln't make it. With that, and all the other dead end/exhausting jobs....I decided to dive back into college and get into Vet school. So, in 2008 I started back to school. Now I have interviewed and I'm on an alternate list:xf:. Pretty good for a college flunk out! I also have a wonderful Husband that supports me in all I do and three great children. My oldest son is 7 , my daughter is 3 and my youngest son is 11 months old.

I am so excited that I found this forum and can connect with so many people like myself.
 
Just turned 31.
I flunked out of college in '98 and thought I could be happy without achieving my Veterinary dream....then a couple of years ago I saw an old classmate from HS. They said something about knowing I wouln't make it. With that, and all the other dead end/exhausting jobs....I decided to dive back into college and get into Vet school. So, in 2008 I started back to school. Now I have interviewed and I'm on an alternate list:xf:. Pretty good for a college flunk out! I also have a wonderful Husband that supports me in all I do and three great children. My oldest son is 7 , my daughter is 3 and my youngest son is 11 months old.

I am so excited that I found this forum and can connect with so many people like myself.

great story! you will show them!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just turned 31.
a couple of years ago I saw an old classmate from HS. They said something about knowing I wouln't make it.

A (slightly younger) former friend and I spent three weeks in Australia following her HS graduation. She was going pre-vet. One afternoon, we were sitting in our hotel room in the Outback when our Australian roommates asked what we wanted to do.

The friend spoke up (in front of me): "I'm going to be a veterinarian. She wants to do it too, but she'll never be able to handle it. Pfft. I've worked in a clinic. She doesn't understand. She wouldn't be able to handle the things that I've seen. It'll never happen. She thinks it will, but it won't." 😡!

She was a total beast the entire trip. We'd moved, and I hadn't seen her in a while... before we even made it onto the plane, it was blatantly obvious why her other friends- who were supposed to have gone with her instead (I stepped in and took their place so she could still go)- had ditched her at the last minute. Fortunately, the trip was awesome (yay for bottle-feeding baby kangaroos!) as were the Australian chicks and the dude from Zimbabwe traveling with us, so I hung out with them and had a sweet time regardless. No regrets!

Aaaaanyway... I will admit to feeling a slight twinge of perverse satisfaction when she realized she couldn't handle the curriculum and absolutely did not want to do the vet thing about three weeks into her first semester at college.

It was also fabulous when she started attempting to impress another roommate by making fun of the fact that I'd brought along pictures of my pets. Every single one of the other girls in our room immediately got excited about them, made a beeline for their suitcases, and pulled out pet pictures of their own to show me. :laugh: FAIL.
 
The friend spoke up (in front of me): "I'm going to be a veterinarian. She wants to do it too, but she'll never be able to handle it. Pfft. I've worked in a clinic. She doesn't understand. She wouldn't be able to handle the things that I've seen. It'll never happen. She thinks it will, but it won't." 😡!

Aaaaanyway... I will admit to feeling a slight twinge of perverse satisfaction when she realized she couldn't handle the curriculum and absolutely did not want to do the vet thing about three weeks into her first semester at college.
:laugh: FAIL.

It is kinda nice when things happen in your favor after someone else completely disreguards your drive and motivation...isn't it?

And I think it is so awesome that you got to feed baby kangaroos!!
 
Just turned 31.
I flunked out of college in '98 and thought I could be happy without achieving my Veterinary dream....then a couple of years ago I saw an old classmate from HS. They said something about knowing I wouln't make it.

I am 30, and will be 31 when I start vet school. I also had a run-in with an old HS acquaintance - it's funny what will inspire you. For me it was finding out that a former classmate (typically HS mess-up, barely even graduated, always in trouble, yada yada yada) had cleaned up his act and gone to vet school and is now a practicing DVM. It got me to thinking, why can't I do that too? Why should I give up?

It is great to see so many nontrads on here, I find it so encouraging!
 
I'm also really excited to see so many non-trads here. I'm 29, I just posted a long-winded intro on the "lurkers" thread so I'll keep it brief here, but I'm so inspired by everyone else who's (so sorry for the cliche) "experienced life" and decided to follow their passion.

My husband and I have decided to wait to have kids until after I receive my degree at least, and I can't even begin to express my admiration for all you amazing people who are entering into the program with children. You are all so strong and driven, and your stories give me amazing perspectives and faith in the endurance of the human spirit. 😍

Congratulations to everyone, regardless of what happens in March, for your achievements to this point!
 
I will be 28 when I apply for the first time putting me at a fantastic age of 33 when I graduate if I get in 1st time.. which I am not holding my breath about.. I graduated with my bachelors in 2007 and I and over the past year I have been getting all of my pre-reqs wrapped up! Honestly, I am a much better applicant now than I would have been when I was 21 or 22
 
I'm 43 and still in the application process! Like lunajett, I too gave up a stable and lucrative career to go down this path. Two thumbs up for "old" if this is what it takes.
 
The friend spoke up (in front of me): "I'm going to be a veterinarian. She wants to do it too, but she'll never be able to handle it. Pfft. I've worked in a clinic. She doesn't understand. She wouldn't be able to handle the things that I've seen. It'll never happen. She thinks it will, but it won't." 😡!

With "friends" like that, who needs enemies. 🙄 When you get accepted, can you send her a copy of your acceptance letter? 😀

(PS: I really love your screen name!)
 
With "friends" like that, who needs enemies. 🙄 When you get accepted, can you send her a copy of your acceptance letter? 😀

(PS: I really love your screen name!)

Nah, I'll take the high road and wait for her to Google me. :meanie: We haven't spoken in six and a half years. I honestly don't know that she'd care at this point.

On the name, thanks! It's an homage to the cat in the avatar... he was an exceptionally nasty feral cat with a litany of medical problems that I found myself "stuck" with back in 2004. The experiences I've had with him have been a driving force in my decision to suck it up, return to school and try to get into a veterinary program... so I felt it was only appropriate to incorporate him in there somehow. 🙂

(I often refer to him (lovingly) as "our cautionary tail"... or, alternatively, "my favorite mistake"... hence the S/N. 😉 )
 
I'm 43 and still in the application process! Like lunajett, I too gave up a stable and lucrative career to go down this path. Two thumbs up for "old" if this is what it takes.
Good luck. I was in your exact shoes in CA last year!

The worst was when a prof played a Bruce Sprinsteen video before class last week and the people around me started discussing him like we were in an ancient history class. A couple of the women didn't even know who he was and the rest were like "why was he popular? Why did women think he was good looking? Apparently he is popular with women in their 50s!"

That was hard to listen to (I kept my mouth shut).
 
Good luck. I was in your exact shoes in CA last year!

The worst was when a prof played a Bruce Sprinsteen video before class last week and the people around me started discussing him like we were in an ancient history class. A couple of the women didn't even know who he was and the rest were like "why was he popular? Why did women think he was good looking? Apparently he is popular with women in their 50s!"

That was hard to listen to (I kept my mouth shut).

Thanks, StartingoverVet! Fingers crossed for me being in YOUR exact shoes NEXT year. :xf: 🙂

Amazing how quickly our early lives become history. Carter and Reagan are before my classmates' time. I'm in a sociology class right now, and my classmates were roughly nine years old on 9/11/01. My joints creaked a little when I realized that! I keep my mouth shut a lot too. 🙂

Glad you are enjoying vet school even at your (our) ADVANCED AGE! :laugh:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
LOL toooldforthis...Where did you find that Avatar!?


For the LIFE of me i can't remember (age not the issue here). I found it when we were in Germany witht he USAF. Been using it for a bit now. Makes me smile...and only partially a self portrait......
 
Last edited:
I feel like the baby of the SDN pre-veterinary forum lol
I am 19 and I hope to be the class of 2017 😀
 
Thanks, StartingoverVet! Fingers crossed for me being in YOUR exact shoes NEXT year. :xf: 🙂

Amazing how quickly our early lives become history. Carter and Reagan are before my classmates' time. I'm in a sociology class right now, and my classmates were roughly nine years old on 9/11/01. My joints creaked a little when I realized that! I keep my mouth shut a lot too. 🙂

Glad you are enjoying vet school even at your (our) ADVANCED AGE! :laugh:

I told someone yesterday that when I was in college, there was no internet, cell phones or Simpsons. I seriously think she was about to ask me if I ever rode for the Pony Express.

(I'm one year older than you TigerK and one year behind you in the application process, so I'm rooting hard for you. And I too am giving up that first career, and happy to do it.)
 
I'm 19, so I doubt that considers me a non-trad. But I'm half way through my undergraduate degree with absolutely not one pre-req completed.

I've wanted to be a vet for a very long time, but was discouraged by everyone around me. So the last two years in college I've been looking at every other major, changing it 1000 times. And I haven't found anything that I am as passionate about as I am for animals and becoming a veterinarian.

I'm at a crossroads right now to continue what I'm currently working towards--Occupational Therapy-- or go for what I've always wanted... vet.

That means I'd be pulling a 360... changing my classes that I start in a week and trying to gain hours of experience... which is practically zero. I'm very nervous because I don't have money to be in school for a long time, and would be piling on the loans very quickly. But I don't want to regret not going into vet and end up going back when I'm in my 40s. I wish I had the support from my boyfriend and family to push me to go for it... ahhh.

I've been told on this forum before.. It's never too late. And that is true. it's a matter of figuring out if it's worth it I guess, if I could be happy with another career. But for non-trads.. Are you as nervous as I am to change gears? Nervous about changing and not getting in? Words of wisdom?
 
I've been told on this forum before.. It's never too late. And that is true. it's a matter of figuring out if it's worth it I guess, if I could be happy with another career. But for non-trads.. Are you as nervous as I am to change gears? Nervous about changing and not getting in? Words of wisdom?

Hi Kim.

If you're confident in your desire to be a vet, then you should not let lack of support get in your way.

I'm 41, and I desperately wish I had been mature, disciplined, and responsible enough in my early 20's to pursue vet medicine. I'd be well into the prime of my career by now. Pretty much every day I have to remind myself that there's nothing I can do but start now, and that I bring life experience that younger people don't have. My interview in a few weeks is somewhat bittersweet: I'm excited to be (finally) doing what I want, but it's tinged with a bit of regret for waiting so long.

So my advice is this: At 19 it looks like a mountain. That's because you're no fool - it IS a mountain. But just take it one semester at a time, one research project at a time, one volunteer opportunity at a time, etc. Be involved in the community around you, and be sure to focus your activities on things that will build experience. A few years down the road and you'll be amazed at how strong your application is. It's a mountain, but lots of people climb it.

Expect that some people won't support you. Anticipate that there will be setbacks. Plow through, over, around, and past all of them. Getting a C won't ruin your life, and people will eventually come around if they see that you are passionate about something.

Sure, it's nerve-wracking. I've already dumped thousands upon thousands of dollars down this hole, with no guarantee of getting in or through school. Even if I do get in, and survive, I'll come out of it with a salary that's - at best - a third of what I make now. In today's economy, that's hard to swallow. There are days I think maybe I'm completely insane.

But then I go to my volunteer canine rehab gig and spend a few hours working dogs in underwater treadmill tanks, or administering e-stim therapy, or using any number of other treatment modalities, and I remember how satisfying it is to work with the animals and interact with the clients. And suddenly I can't wait to be a practicing vet.
 
No worries..you are fine..I am 35 and in veterinary school..and its the best thing I have ever done..I love it and I am so glad I stuck to what I wanted to do..so a bachelor's, master's and working for 5 years..I am finally doing what I want to do..stay focused..you can do this!:luck:
 
Hey, I'm in my 20s, and I'm only a non-trad because I can't get accepted. 🙂 I don't feel old in a general sense. I only feel old in relation to where I thought I would be (in life) at this point. I know I should be grateful that I've had this extra time to grow up, learn to study right, and figure out what really interests me... but I still do feel a tiny bit sad/disappointed about all the extra time it's taking me. If I had gotten in the first time, I'd be starting clinicals in two months and graduating a year from now. That's assuming I would have been able to do well, because honestly, I was still a child... I don't know how I would have done.

So to all the 30 and 40 somethings, of course I'm not complaining that much about my age! I'm just complaining because, while I haven't started vet med yet, I haven't started anything else, either. I've only been working towards vet med the whole time. It's a bit like treading water sometimes.

Nothing but huge kudos to the bravery it takes to give up everything you have so far (careerwise) in order to pursue your dreams. 🙂
 
I'm 19, so I doubt that considers me a non-trad. But I'm half way through my undergraduate degree with absolutely not one pre-req completed.

I've wanted to be a vet for a very long time, but was discouraged by everyone around me. So the last two years in college I've been looking at every other major, changing it 1000 times. And I haven't found anything that I am as passionate about as I am for animals and becoming a veterinarian.

I'm at a crossroads right now to continue what I'm currently working towards--Occupational Therapy-- or go for what I've always wanted... vet.

That means I'd be pulling a 360... changing my classes that I start in a week and trying to gain hours of experience... which is practically zero. I'm very nervous because I don't have money to be in school for a long time, and would be piling on the loans very quickly. But I don't want to regret not going into vet and end up going back when I'm in my 40s. I wish I had the support from my boyfriend and family to push me to go for it... ahhh.

I've been told on this forum before.. It's never too late. And that is true. it's a matter of figuring out if it's worth it I guess, if I could be happy with another career. But for non-trads.. Are you as nervous as I am to change gears? Nervous about changing and not getting in? Words of wisdom?

Heyy, I am in the same exact situation as you, I am in my second year as undergraduate and I hope to become a Vet in the future. With no support from my family I continue to strive to get into vet school in the future by volunteering at a veterinary hospital and hope to start volunteering at a animal shelter. I also started buying and reading basic small animal anatomy and animal management books so I can get a better understanding on veterinary. I am also beginning on studying for the GRE. I am passionate for helping animals and that is why I am taking the hard road to becoming a veterinarian. There are times that I felt giving up but I am not letting this go and that is why I am continuing my studies for Veterinary. :prof: I hope your decision for changing your studies for veterinary goes well and I hope this helped. 😀
 
I'm 19, so I doubt that considers me a non-trad. But I'm half way through my undergraduate degree with absolutely not one pre-req completed.

I've wanted to be a vet for a very long time, but was discouraged by everyone around me. So the last two years in college I've been looking at every other major, changing it 1000 times. And I haven't found anything that I am as passionate about as I am for animals and becoming a veterinarian.

I'm at a crossroads right now to continue what I'm currently working towards--Occupational Therapy-- or go for what I've always wanted... vet.

That means I'd be pulling a 360... changing my classes that I start in a week and trying to gain hours of experience... which is practically zero. I'm very nervous because I don't have money to be in school for a long time, and would be piling on the loans very quickly. But I don't want to regret not going into vet and end up going back when I'm in my 40s. I wish I had the support from my boyfriend and family to push me to go for it... ahhh.

I've been told on this forum before.. It's never too late. And that is true. it's a matter of figuring out if it's worth it I guess, if I could be happy with another career. But for non-trads.. Are you as nervous as I am to change gears? Nervous about changing and not getting in? Words of wisdom?
What I would do to be 19 again and actually no what I want! If that is what is in your heart go for it or you will NEVER TRULY BE HAPPY! Who cares what others say, it is your life and you are the one that has to get up and go to work everyday. I am 31 now and have done so many things except for what I always new in my heart I wanted. Please just go for it now you will not regret it! Good luck!
 
I'm 19, so I doubt that considers me a non-trad. But I'm half way through my undergraduate degree with absolutely not one pre-req completed.

I've wanted to be a vet for a very long time, but was discouraged by everyone around me. So the last two years in college I've been looking at every other major, changing it 1000 times. And I haven't found anything that I am as passionate about as I am for animals and becoming a veterinarian.

I'm at a crossroads right now to continue what I'm currently working towards--Occupational Therapy-- or go for what I've always wanted... vet.

That means I'd be pulling a 360... changing my classes that I start in a week and trying to gain hours of experience... which is practically zero. I'm very nervous because I don't have money to be in school for a long time, and would be piling on the loans very quickly. But I don't want to regret not going into vet and end up going back when I'm in my 40s. I wish I had the support from my boyfriend and family to push me to go for it... ahhh.

I've been told on this forum before.. It's never too late. And that is true. it's a matter of figuring out if it's worth it I guess, if I could be happy with another career. But for non-trads.. Are you as nervous as I am to change gears? Nervous about changing and not getting in? Words of wisdom?

What I would do to be 19 again and actually no what I want! If that is what is in your heart go for it or you will NEVER TRULY BE HAPPY! Who cares what others say, it is your life and you are the one that has to get up and go to work everyday. I am 31 now and have done so many things except for what I always new in my heart I wanted. Please just go for it now you will not regret it! Good luck!

I agree with CatPartay, go for it! I only went 10 years without persuing my dreams but it seems like a lifetime. I wish-wish-wish I had stuck with the program then, but I can't go back...I could have a very well established practice of my own by now instead of trying to cram pre-reqs for next fall. Just set your mind to it and visualize yourself there and before you know it...you will be!!!😎
 
So to all the 30 and 40 somethings, of course I'm not complaining that much about my age! I'm just complaining because, while I haven't started vet med yet, I haven't started anything else, either. I've only been working towards vet med the whole time. It's a bit like treading water sometimes.

Yes, this exactly! I'm only 23, but don't have anything to show for my years since high school. "Treading water" is a perfect way to put it.
 
I'm a non-trad. I'm 24 and if I'm able to go back to school in the fall to raise my GPA, I'll apply when I'm 26. If I actually manage to get accepted somewhere, I'd start vet school when I'm 27.

I'm so jealous of friends who had their crap together when they were 21 or 22. The people who were my classmates during undergrad are graduating vet school next year. Ah well, I've always been a late bloomer. Makes sense I'd be late to the vet school game. 😉
 
Thanks for all the encouragement, everyone.

It's just so hard! Choosing a career should be an easy decision! But it's so difficult to know which one is the right one for you.

I feel like being a veterinarian would be so rewarding and match all my interests so perfectly. But I think I could be happy doing other things as well. Does that mean I'm not passionate enough to make it in this field?

I wish I would have started shadowing vets two years ago when I was in high school to know if it was for me. I just don't want to go into it and realize along the way that I'm one of those people who love animals so they decide to be a vet... but it wasn't the right choice for them. Especially when this is such a demanding, competitive field!

Ehh. Decisions, Decisions. With so little time... 😛 (Although, quite frankly, I have plenty of time, a whole lifetime to decide.. but in my mind... I am at the edge and need to make a decision promptly for my own sanity.)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I feel like being a veterinarian would be so rewarding and match all my interests so perfectly. But I think I could be happy doing other things as well. Does that mean I'm not passionate enough to make it in this field?

Not at all! I spent twenty years being an engineer, and I am determined to make it in this field sooner or later. You can be suited to more than one thing, particularly if you are intelligent and motivated. That doesn't diminish your chances -- in fact, those very qualities will help you succeed. If being a veterinarian seems like it's the best choice for you, go for it!

I wish I would have started shadowing vets two years ago when I was in high school to know if it was for me. I just don't want to go into it and realize along the way that I'm one of those people who love animals so they decide to be a vet... but it wasn't the right choice for them. Especially when this is such a demanding, competitive field!

Boy do I know the feeling. 🙂 I'm sure you could start shadowing vets now, and still have time to pull back if you decide this isn't nearly the ideal choice you thought it was. (And honestly, neither choice will wreck your life. You might wind up with some lingering what-ifs, but worst case, you can change your mind at forty. Look at some of us!)

I suspect there are just a couple of groups of people who love animals but wouldn't be happy being vets: those who really can't stand the animals' owners (or just plain don't want to deal with people in general), and those for whom every death cuts too deeply so they just wouldn't maintain their emotional health. I think it wouldn't be long before you'd know whether you're in one of those groups. After that, you're sure, and you just need enough experience to convince the schools. 🙂
 
It's just so hard! Choosing a career should be an easy decision! But it's so difficult to know which one is the right one for you.

I feel like being a veterinarian would be so rewarding and match all my interests so perfectly. But I think I could be happy doing other things as well. Does that mean I'm not passionate enough to make it in this field?

I don't think any major life decision should be easy...and if it really is easy you may not have thought about it enough to recognize the negatives and how those will impact you (since the ideal is a job where even the negatives just aren't that bad in your perspective.) I believe that about relationships, moves, careers, etc.

I am a career-changer. I loved my past careers (2) and even my current side career. However, all my careers did was push me towards vet med. I didn't want to go to school for 4 more years, make less income, etc. I worked in a zoo as a curator. I loved showing up and taking a morning walk on the grounds, talking to donors, animal care, managing our interns, volunteers, and staff, making environmental and animal decisions, dealing with species management, hosting events. I often worked 50-80 hours a week, and loved it. I crashed in my office some nights, and often a peacock would visit my office window to wake me in the morning. Who could ask for more (except better income)? What I noticed, though, is that given the option of all my jobs, what I enjoyed most was working with our vet, whether it was dentals, surgery, blood tests, breeding, or trauma. Every spare moment was spent directly with our vet. I was at a juncture where I had the rest of my position running smoothly and was spending half my time working with our vet.

Then Katrina/Rita destroyed my job and my home...and I took a job with NOAA as an observer. I was paid well, but worked really hard. I loved the necropsy rooms, tissue sampling, examining the data, and figuring out what was wrong. Did we catch a porpoise (commercial fisheries) because of our gear, our location, or was the animal sick, and if so, how/why? I probably talked to our vets more than any other observer. I'd call to see if I could come in on my land days and my days off. I'd call to check on tissue samples and full necropsies. While I worked there, I loved ever minute of it. High adventures, lots of drama, dealing with difficult characters and seeing some magnificent vistas, and having oppurtunities that are pretty rare (not many folks participate in fresh marine mammal necropsies.)

So, a decade after graduating, I gave up the battle. I relocated with my husband, finished up pre-reqs (they changed a bit since I graduated), and applied to a couple of schools. I knew I would only apply once; I gave it all I could, and there really wasn't much I could do to improve my application. I was accepted at my IS school, relocated 3.5 hours from my husband (and have since dealt with a lay off, some illnesses in the family, and other hardships) restarted my side business of pet training (which I have done just about everywhere I have lived) and am now in the second semester of my second year.

The best thing you can do for yourself is get experience in vet med. Really think about the worst aspects of the job (and check out a variety of fields within vet med) and the issues in the job, and figure out if those fit into your vision of your future. If they do, pursue it full steam. If not, examine other career options. I thought I could avoid the trade off I didn't want by pursueing other fields, but it didn't work for me...so I came back. And while there were advantages to the traditional path, I like where I am now, as a non-trad. there are some advantages to this path as well.
 
I don't think any major life decision should be easy...and if it really is easy you may not have thought about it enough to recognize the negatives and how those will impact you (since the ideal is a job where even the negatives just aren't that bad in your perspective.) I believe that about relationships, moves, careers, etc.

I am a career-changer. I loved my past careers (2) and even my current side career. However, all my careers did was push me towards vet med. I didn't want to go to school for 4 more years, make less income, etc. I worked in a zoo as a curator. I loved showing up and taking a morning walk on the grounds, talking to donors, animal care, managing our interns, volunteers, and staff, making environmental and animal decisions, dealing with species management, hosting events. I often worked 50-80 hours a week, and loved it. I crashed in my office some nights, and often a peacock would visit my office window to wake me in the morning. Who could ask for more (except better income)? What I noticed, though, is that given the option of all my jobs, what I enjoyed most was working with our vet, whether it was dentals, surgery, blood tests, breeding, or trauma. Every spare moment was spent directly with our vet. I was at a juncture where I had the rest of my position running smoothly and was spending half my time working with our vet.

Then Katrina/Rita destroyed my job and my home...and I took a job with NOAA as an observer. I was paid well, but worked really hard. I loved the necropsy rooms, tissue sampling, examining the data, and figuring out what was wrong. Did we catch a porpoise (commercial fisheries) because of our gear, our location, or was the animal sick, and if so, how/why? I probably talked to our vets more than any other observer. I'd call to see if I could come in on my land days and my days off. I'd call to check on tissue samples and full necropsies. While I worked there, I loved ever minute of it. High adventures, lots of drama, dealing with difficult characters and seeing some magnificent vistas, and having oppurtunities that are pretty rare (not many folks participate in fresh marine mammal necropsies.)

So, a decade after graduating, I gave up the battle. I relocated with my husband, finished up pre-reqs (they changed a bit since I graduated), and applied to a couple of schools. I knew I would only apply once; I gave it all I could, and there really wasn't much I could do to improve my application. I was accepted at my IS school, relocated 3.5 hours from my husband (and have since dealt with a lay off, some illnesses in the family, and other hardships) restarted my side business of pet training (which I have done just about everywhere I have lived) and am now in the second semester of my second year.

The best thing you can do for yourself is get experience in vet med. Really think about the worst aspects of the job (and check out a variety of fields within vet med) and the issues in the job, and figure out if those fit into your vision of your future. If they do, pursue it full steam. If not, examine other career options. I thought I could avoid the trade off I didn't want by pursueing other fields, but it didn't work for me...so I came back. And while there were advantages to the traditional path, I like where I am now, as a non-trad. there are some advantages to this path as well.

Great story, sumstorm, And very inspirational! Sounds like your livin' the dream of dreams🙄
 
Hang in there non-trads!!! I was finally granted an interview yesterday.:soexcited:

Keep pushing yourself, reevaluate constantly, and NEVER EVER loose sight of why you decided to start a new life in Vet Med!!!! Trust me, there were times......

While I know that I am not in the White Coat yet, at least I know I am worth looking at!!!!
 
I am 26. I have been out of school for 4 1/2 years! I am hopefully headed to Ross in May!🙂
 
I suspect there are just a couple of groups of people who love animals but wouldn't be happy being vets: those who really can't stand the animals' owners (or just plain don't want to deal with people in general), and those for whom every death cuts too deeply so they just wouldn't maintain their emotional health.


I have a very strong tendency to be in that first group.
 
Hang in there non-trads!!! I was finally granted an interview yesterday.:soexcited:

Keep pushing yourself, reevaluate constantly, and NEVER EVER loose sight of why you decided to start a new life in Vet Med!!!! Trust me, there were times......

While I know that I am not in the White Coat yet, at least I know I am worth looking at!!!!

Thats GREAT, BrumleyVet, good luck in your interview!:luck:
 
I'm 33 yrs young and ready to go! Honestly, I wasn't ready to be a vet when I was 21 yrs old. Now, I know I am ready, and I have gained perspective after being in the workforce and just growing up.
 
I'm 33 yrs young and ready to go! Honestly, I wasn't ready to be a vet when I was 21 yrs old. Now, I know I am ready, and I have gained perspective after being in the workforce and just growing up.

That's great!
Although I'm not technically a non-trad, in high school, I was so determined to be a vet, and took every science class possible. But I didn't try and unfortunately my grades were awful. Because of that, I gave up on being a vet.
I lacked the focus and study skills to stick with it. Two years later, I've been studying other subjects but have my study skills and grades in check and ready to take it on. I feel so much more mature and ready to take on this amazing challenge, but I don't think I was two years ago.
 
I am 29, I have a BS in marine biology and an MS in Marine biology as well. I decided that PhD was not the track I wanted to take.
 
I'm so glad to see that I'm not the only career changer. I'm 32 and starting vet school this fall after a 10 year detour into engineering.
 
High five to the non-trads!

I am 23, and having started vet school at 22, I'm obviously not a non-trad.. but I feel like I am one of the youngest in my class. There are 86 in our class and I would say over half of them are 25 or older. Our youngest I think is 20. Our oldest is 39, going on 40. That's not old by any means, but in terms of "non traditional" students.


That said, I think the reason being is because most of them have tried 2 and 3 times to get into vet school. Its not always a get-in-on-your-first-try thing (in fact sometimes the odds lean favorably that you won't) and I really think they should do away with the "non-traditional student" label. Its only "non-traditional" because its so damn hard to get into! It's not like they were messing around for 5 years and then just up and decided to apply... it's just that competitive. Plus they have the best work ethic... I get caught up in procrastination and the other students who are a few years older than me seem to have to no problem chuggin along.
 
KSU has an early admit program, so there are people in my class who did not even have to finish undergrad, like 20-21 yrs old. And in a way my hat's off to 'em - I wish I had been so motivated at that age. But a lot of these people have never lived on their own, paid their own bills, budgeted, voted, worked and dealt with bosses/coworkers/staff, really never been responsible for anything beyond getting good grades, and it's hard to take them seriously as future doctors. 'Course, there's a lot of time to grow up over the next few years.

My point is, if you're a non-trad embrace the experience you have that has gotten you where you are. It makes you a more rounded person, and that will only help you in vet school and in practice.

I definitely think about this. I am 31 and will enter at 32. I have a family member that just complained to me about her experience at the vet with a recent grad helping her and her dog and being somewhat clueless, not having great skills for working with clientele, etc.. I can only imagine.

I have been on my non-trad path for a long time--6.5 years... (I hesitated a lot over the past two). But I really don't regret my life experience and my diverse work history. I know it's an asset. I have seen a ton of veterinary medicine--high volume. I have had tons of patient and owner contact. I manage medical cases and customers EVERY DAY non-stop (ie; often no lunch, multiple going simultaneously) already. I'm on call for emergencies (but I send them to a clinic) 24/7. Being the vet will only change things slightly for me in that I won't have to consult a vet about the case! I think the step back out of school again will really be easy for me. That's actually truly the one thing I really look forward to--being right out there with the public and pets again. I find it a lot of fun and the interactions don't intimidate me. 😉
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to see what was new! How are classes/work/life?

I'm taking my first exam (Chemistry!) tonight as a non-trad and I'm super nervous. I've studied all week, so I hope it pays off well 🙂
 
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to see what was new! How are classes/work/life?

I'm taking my first exam (Chemistry!) tonight as a non-trad and I'm super nervous. I've studied all week, so I hope it pays off well 🙂

I'm sure you'll do fine Grad! Good Luck!
 
I graduated from HS in 1994 and when I went into college back then, we used to use a printed course catalog as a reference and call in to an automated system to register for classes.

Fast forward to my return to college for fall term 2009. I was getting things squared away at the college and not really thinking about it, I asked the person behind the counter at student services if I could please get a course catalog. Got a reaction sort of like this... :uhno: They had no clue what I meant. "Um, you register online..."
 
I graduated from HS in 1994 and when I went into college back then, we used to use a printed course catalog as a reference and call in to an automated system to register for classes.

Fast forward to my return to college for fall term 2009. I was getting things squared away at the college and not really thinking about it, I asked the person behind the counter at student services if I could please get a course catalog. Got a reaction sort of like this... :uhno: They had no clue what I meant. "Um, you register online..."

HAHAHA.. I was really surprised at how "online" everything was when I started back in 2008.:laugh:
the first time i went to college, we had to meet with an advisor and they helped pick classes, then turned in(handwritten)

oops
 
Last edited: