How old is everyone? Non-trads?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've been lurking around here for a couple of weeks and registered just to share with you guys how stupid I feel.

I'm about to graduate, at 21, with a business degree. I have, however, decided to transfer my credits to another university and turn it into a Biology degree in hopes of applying to vet school in 2-3 years. I've been kicking myself, feeling that I should have done this years ago and that I'm so behind for my age. Now I stumble onto this thread and see that it's never too late to chase your dream. I don't feel as old nor as left behind as I did.

On another note, I'm sure a business degree, coupled with one in biology, can't look too bad on an application. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome and best of luck to you on your road to vet school! Plenty of people apply with non-science majors, too :) It's all about fulfilling prerequisites. If you have an idea of the schools you may be applying to in the future, you can check www.aavmc.org for lots of information on pre-reqs and more.

Welcome to the nutty place that is Pre-Vet SDN :)

On another note, I'm sure a business degree, coupled with one in biology, can't look too bad on an application. :)

Absolutely not. The current crop of students and recent graduates have been issuing some pretty strong warnings regarding money (debt) and veterinary medicine. I would think that a business degree not only looks good on an application, but will be highly practical.

As far as your age ... pshhhh. It's still very possible for you to get into vet school at the average age!

Welcome to SDN. :)

Members don't see this ad :)

This could be incredibly helpful. Especially if you want to own your own practice some day.

Many vets I have spoken to say that a flaw in the system is that not all vet schools teach you business classes. This is ridiculous considering how many graduates will essentially own their own business.

Good luck!

I've been lurking around here for a couple of weeks and registered just to share with you guys how stupid I feel.

I'm about to graduate, at 21, with a business degree. I have, however, decided to transfer my credits to another university and turn it into a Biology degree in hopes of applying to vet school in 2-3 years. I've been kicking myself, feeling that I should have done this years ago and that I'm so behind for my age. Now I stumble onto this thread and see that it's never too late to chase your dream. I don't feel as old nor as left behind as I did.

I applied this cycle with the same background. I think it definitely does help separate you out from the crowd. I've already got one offer, one pending after interview, and one more interview. It's a bit of a long haul starting over again (as it is for any non-trad), but it definitely helps knowing you always have something to fall back on.

TOFT: Can we start an exclusive "really non-trad" club? If I get in this year I'll be 42 when I start.

All these other 'non-trads' in their 20's talking about feeling too old make me laugh. :)

(If you're one of those, I'm just teasin' ya.)

/agree!

(and thanks for the acronym, IVE MADE IT to the big time!) :laugh:

I graduated with a BS in business - so it can be done! ;)

I actually have found it extremely helpful, especially in the smaller practices where I have worked. You'd be surprised how useful a basic concept of accounting, marketing, and management (ESPECIALLY management) can be.

I am 24 and applying to vet school this summer for the first time, but I have been married for almost 6 years and have had two beautiful children ages 3 and 2 along my college path. My husband and I are also welcoming baby number three into this world this August so my path to application has been interesting to say the least!!! :)

I graduated with a BS in business - so it can be done! ;)

I actually have found it extremely helpful, especially in the smaller practices where I have worked. You'd be surprised how useful a basic concept of accounting, marketing, and management (ESPECIALLY management) can be.

I agree I graduated with a BS in Biology degree and minored in Business Management and I am currently working on my Masters of Business Administration.

I am 24 and applying to vet school this summer for the first time, but I have been married for almost 6 years and have had two beautiful children ages 3 and 2 along my college path. My husband and I are also welcoming baby number three into this world this August so my path to application has been interesting to say the least!!! :)

Congrats on the upcoming addition! Good luck with your application. :)

36 as of right now, didn't get in on the c/o 2015 cycle, but working on the c/o 2016 cycle.

Any other single parents here?

I have a question for others. I was thinking about the amount of animal and vet hours, and I was worried that some ad-comms might think my hours are exaggerated. I have been working on this for approximately 10 years. Any thoughts?

Vet hours:
Bovine specific=5000 hrs
Equine specific=540 hrs
Small animal=3600 hrs

Animal hours:
Food animal=820
Equine=15000 (had horses for most of my life, but only counted time with them) I did tone that one down a bit.

I have a question for others. I was thinking about the amount of animal and vet hours, and I was worried that some ad-comms might think my hours are exaggerated. I have been working on this for approximately 10 years. Any thoughts?

They won't think that. It's more complex than just listing your experiences/hours. The application asks you for a description of duties, start/end dates, avg hours/week, and total hours.

Between all of those things, it will be clear whether your hours make sense or not. So long as you do your best to be honest and transparent, I wouldn't sweat this one *at all*.

My hours were all in the "high" thousands given our longer time frame and I was never questioned.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm 22, graduating in May. I pretty much knew I had to get into vet school the 1st time, or pursue graduate school since I defied my parents and wanted to be a veterinarian instead of an engineer. I'm glad that I went with my own personal decision.

Don't take this the wrong way, but your age justifies your hours for sure. At 36, its totally plausible that you have as many hours as you do. Just because you decided to go to vet school late doesn't mean that you couldn't have always worked with animals in some form. If you were a vet tech (large or small animal) for 10 years, then went on and decided to go to vet school, your hours would automatically be sky high, and completely unfabricated. If I, at 23, were to claim that I had as many hours as you, it might raise suspicion... since I don't have anything to really back it up with. Everyone's situation is different and as long as you can back up the numbers with evidence and details you are fine.

Many vets I have spoken to say that a flaw in the system is that not all vet schools teach you business classes. This is ridiculous considering how many graduates will essentially own their own business.

I definitely want to own my own practice and I am definitely concerned about getting some business classes in before I do that... I guess I may have to enroll in some after I get my D.V.M... I haven't yet been able to talk to any vets about what steps they took in preparing for practice ownership. Since I plan to buy one 3-4 years after graduation (to get the maximum financial loan payback benefit) I really need to talk to someone who has experience with being a young practice owner (versus buying a practice after you've been working in the field for 15 or 20 years).

Just thought I'd point out that in talking to a friend who just toured a vet school.. I found out that they admitted a 65 year old.

You're never too old to fulfill your dreams!! :) And think of it this way: Even if by some chance, you don't get in after applying a few times.. you will never look back and wish you had tried, because you did your best. :)

Hi people! I'm glad I found this board. I am sort of non-trad...you are going to think I'm crazy but I'll be graduating with my PhD in biology next year (I study fossil organisms now!) and I think I want to go back to school again for vet school! I do love school, but I don't love academia so I've decided to pursue my original dream of medicine (zoo/aquarium).

Even though I am 23 I thought it was too late for me, but it seems like there are plenty of people out there who came to this decision a little bit later than others, so I feel better :)

I've been lurking for a little while and getting tons of great info and advice, but I figure its time to start posting, so here goes! I'm 25 (almost 26 :eek:) and will finish my undergrad Fall 2013, but I will still have one or two pre-req courses. Just thinking about going to vet school when I am 29 freaks me out, so its nice to know I'm not alone!

Hi people! I'm glad I found this board. I am sort of non-trad...you are going to think I'm crazy but I'll be graduating with my PhD in biology next year (I study fossil organisms now!) and I think I want to go back to school again for vet school! I do love school, but I don't love academia so I've decided to pursue my original dream of medicine (zoo/aquarium).

Even though I am 23 I thought it was too late for me, but it seems like there are plenty of people out there who came to this decision a little bit later than others, so I feel better :)

A member of our class at Penn, and a regular contributor here, "GellaBella" got her phD in biochem and then came right to vet school, so you are not the only one. 23 is pretty young for a phD, congrats! You should do fine.

Well I'm 24 years old and just started looking at being a Veternarian. I'll begin taking pre-req's in the fall.

I have a BA in Psychology and Business (with an Accounting concentration). I realized in my Junior year of college that I really didn't like Accounting. I considered being a CPA, but it's so boring. I didn't want to be stuck at my school so I graduated with those BA's. I realized this year that I really love helping people and animals. I had always talked about being vet when I was little, but I was discouraged. Now I know that I thrive on challenges.

I was a little discouraged because of my age, but I'm glad I found this thread. Also, my friend is a podiatry student and he told me that there are many non-trad students in his class.

I was a little discouraged because of my age, but I'm glad I found this thread. Also, my friend is a podiatry student and he told me that there are many non-trad students in his class.

Your friend is correct. You are still a baby among non-trads.

My wishful thinking is that the 40's is the new 20's. :rolleyes:

On the other side of things, don't worry if you are younger than most of your class. We had multiple 20's and 21's starting in our class this year. I myself got accepted at 21 (and one of my lab partners at 20) and we both feel that we have not been set back at all. She has her BS (just no high school diploma). I don't have a BS. I felt intimidated when I started but I after one semester (almost two - yay!) I don't feel behind at all.

Your friend is correct. You are still a baby among non-trads.

My wishful thinking is that the 40's is the new 20's. :rolleyes:

Bah. The 40's IS the new 20's. (Though my hallux rigidus would disagree.....)

:D

I have to admit I'm getting confused. I see all these 22, 23, and 24 year olds talking about being "non-traditional" students.
What the heck does "non-traditional" mean anymore? Is it literally just anyone who didn't go straight from UG into grad school?

If so, we need a new term for us mid-life career changers. Other than, er, mid-life career changers, which just sounds too stodgy.

What the heck does "non-traditional" mean anymore? Is it literally just anyone who didn't go straight from UG into grad school?

If so, we need a new term for us mid-life career changers. Other than, er, mid-life career changers, which just sounds too stodgy.

Technically, "non-traditional" only applies to undergraduate students who are 25 or older. How about "experienced applicants" instead of "mid-life career changers"? ;)

Technically, "non-traditional" only applies to undergraduate students who are 25 or older. How about "experienced applicants" instead of "mid-life career changers"? ;)

Is that really defined somewhere? Lol

(my first post!)

I am 26 and just beginning this road Pre-Vet.
I have a mountain of work ahead of me thanks to really poor results/mental health with my first attempts of University. I have thousands of hours already with horse experience so maybe that will ease the climb somewhat. I am so glad I found this community however, I look forward to pouring over all of the posts in the near future! :)

(my first post!)

I am 26 and just beginning this road Pre-Vet.
I have a mountain of work ahead of me thanks to really poor results/mental health with my first attempts of University. I have thousands of hours already with horse experience so maybe that will ease the climb somewhat. I am so glad I found this community however, I look forward to pouring over all of the posts in the near future! :)

Hi! Just had to say your avatar picture is so cute! Yay jumping baby animals! :D

29 and in my first semester of undergrad. Practically had to start over because my courses do not transfer. A friend of mine said the same thing the OP's father said, in 10 years I'll still be 39 whether I'm a Vet or not is up to me. I may not have done the whole marriage and kids thing but I definately took the time to find myself and I'm now ready to start this journey...just wish I could fast forward sometimes!

Is that really defined somewhere? Lol

Yes, on page 23, paragraph 2 of the "Official SDNers guide to Non-traditional Vet Students". Written by a frequent poster on this forum but I can't divulge her screen name or I would have to shoot myself.

You can look it up if you don't believe me.

Yes, on page 23, paragraph 2 of the "Official SDNers guide to Non-traditional Vet Students". Written by a frequent poster on this forum but I can't divulge her screen name or I would have to shoot myself.

You can look it up if you don't believe me.

You've got to be kidding me. :laugh:

I might search for it later.

I'm 37 and doing vet school prereqs. If all goes well, I'll be entering vet school at age 39. And when I graduate, I'll probably have at least 20 more years of career ahead of me, right? I might as well spend it doing what I dream of.

I'm inspired by my mom who took an early retirement at about age 58 to follow her dream of getting a PhD. I'm finding going back to school as a more "mature" person really fun. I'm so much more focused now!

I'm 27. Wish I was a bit younger because I've had two knee surgeries in the past 10 years and sitting in class all day is making things worse, so I'll be going to the ortho after finals. Hopefully, won't need a replacement until my 40s.

Not trying to condescend, but I feel very grateful that I spent the past 6 years screwing around, traveling the world (mexico, honduras, guatemala, australia), playing in several bands that played shows around the U.S., participated in direct action protests (peaceful, of course), and worked a ton of different jobs (shelter tech, vet assistant, cook, tutor, malaria researcher, server/busser, well-paid guinea pig, data entry, blah blah blah). I haven't saved money very well, but I've lived a very rich life that I wouldn't take back. So, rather than worry about paying back my vet school loans at 25-26, I'll be worrying about paying them back at 32, but at least I did all those things before vet school. Some of the people in my class just turned 21 and have never left the country (!). I hope that they can still be as reckless as I was after they accumulate $100K+ in debt. Being reckless kind of ruled.

If all goes well I'll be 39 when actually starting vet school. :eek:

It's all good though, I don't feel (nor do I think I look) my age and it was such a breath of fresh air to be back in a classroom knowing that I was finally going to finish following my dreams.

Last edited:
I, too, found it odd when I met an applicant along the trail who considered herself non-traditional because her science degree didn't involve animals; i think she was still a senior in college, too...at some school I was referred to as a 'second career applicant,' rather than a non-trad. I think that's more apt.

As for me, I've been dreaming of becoming a vet ever since I was almost 30 and decided that 7 years of corporate america was enough (I hold a BBA with majors in Finance and Real Estate). The pre-req. road was pretty stressful and there were many moments were I thought the effort was all in vain...but now vet school is actually happening (i'm 32 now). I even got greedy and chose an OOS school over my IS. (Shhh, don't tell anybody). For those at the beginning of the road (or in the middle)...just stick with it. The worse thing that happens is you go back to your old career *shudder* and at least you can say you tried.

I'm 27. Wish I was a bit younger because I've had two knee surgeries in the past 10 years and sitting in class all day is making things worse, so I'll be going to the ortho after finals. Hopefully, won't need a replacement until my 40s.

Not trying to condescend, but I feel very grateful that I spent the past 6 years screwing around, traveling the world (mexico, honduras, guatemala, australia), playing in several bands that played shows around the U.S., participated in direct action protests (peaceful, of course), and worked a ton of different jobs (shelter tech, vet assistant, cook, tutor, malaria researcher, server/busser, well-paid guinea pig, data entry, blah blah blah). I haven't saved money very well, but I've lived a very rich life that I wouldn't take back. So, rather than worry about paying back my vet school loans at 25-26, I'll be worrying about paying them back at 32, but at least I did all those things before vet school. Some of the people in my class just turned 21 and have never left the country (!). I hope that they can still be as reckless as I was after they accumulate $100K+ in debt. Being reckless kind of ruled.

I so totally agree with you! I am so glad that I took time off after my undergraduate degree to actually have a life and travel and get married etc. I'm also happy that I'm now able to go back to all those naysayers that said I'd never go back to school and say :p

Do what I do and wait for TT to link it.....

I, unlike many others on here, prefer to search on my own. I do not wish to burden other TT with random requests to look things up.

:laugh:

Did that sound sanctimonious enough?:)

I would, but I think that was just smartassery on SOV's part. ;)

I'm still new around here, but TT rocks at searching and posting links!!! I still haven't figured out how to search that fast! We shouldn't take that for granted! :)

I would, but I think that was just smartassery on SOV's part. ;)

I figured that was the case ... which just gave me even more reason to say "let's leave this one for TT". ;)

I, unlike many others on here, prefer to search on my own. I do not wish to burden other TT with random requests to look things up.

TT is so good at it, that that's like saying "I don't wish to burden my refrigerator with staying cold." ;)

I figured that was the case ... which just gave me even more reason to say "let's leave this one for TT". ;)

TT is so good at it, that that's like saying "I don't wish to burden my refrigerator with staying cold." ;)

Touche. Btw, I was kidding. I got pretty good at searhing on my own before I knew who TT was.