how old is everyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DaPharmacist

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering how old everyone is that's applying this year. I'm 18 and I had my interview today at UW and they made it seem as if I was too young. They told me that they think I'm in a rush of some sort. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Heck, I wish I was 18 again....I'm turning 32 tomorrow :eek:

I wouldn't take it too personallly, though. Most people would expect an applicant to pharm school to have at least 2 years JC after HS, and part of that assumption is that you graduated HS at 18 years old and then went on to do your prereqs for pharm school...so the assumption is that you would be at least 20-21 years old at the time of application and interview. Almost everyone in my class was at least 21 years old last year.

I'm 21 on my way out of pharmacy (graduate in 9 weeks), and I got the same kinds of response at my interviews. Although I have satisfactorily completed the course, I think I could have benefited from fooling around a little bit more. And yes, I do know now that my interviewers were hesitant to admit me.

You can never be too young or too old for this profession, so long as your mind and heart are in the right place.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm 21 and am rather surprised to see an 18 year old trying to get into pharmacy school. Not because I think you can't do it, but because most schools require at least 2 years at either a JC or a university. I'm happy to see someone of such a young age looking at pharmacy, but I do feel that this is too young. Only because I feel that the experience as an undergrad really does help you learn how to study and helps you prepare for grad/professional school. I just don't think that out of high school anyone is prepared for any kind of professional school, but that's just my opinion. I don't even think this is an issue of maturity, just an issue of experience.

~Pam

Happy B-Day LVPharm! ! ! Is there anything to do in that town to celebrate your birthday? (J/K) I wish I were in Vegas this weekend for Tito vs. Chuck at Mandalay. Anyways, take a study break and have a good time - but not so good that you end up on an episode of Cops. Happy B-Day again!

I'm 21 and am rather surprised to see an 18 year old trying to get into pharmacy school. Not because I think you can't do it, but because most schools require at least 2 years at either a JC or a university. I'm happy to see someone of such a young age looking at pharmacy, but I do feel that this is too young. Only because I feel that the experience as an undergrad really does help you learn how to study and helps you prepare for grad/professional school. I just don't think that out of high school anyone is prepared for any kind of professional school, but that's just my opinion. I don't even think this is an issue of maturity, just an issue of experience.

~Pam

Thanks 64microbus, congrats with the UCSF acceptance, btw! I'll spend my birthday on Fremont Street with a 99? shrimp cocktail thinking of all you wonderful SDN'ers. Then I'll get sick to my stomach.

....because of the shrimp cocktail, that is.

I'm 39 and hope to apply in the fall to Univ of Fla. COP.

i'm 23. i do understand what it's like to be really young going into school and people believing that you're rushing into things. i got my degree by the time i was 20 (finished in 3 years) and was going to get a PhD and a lot of negative responses i received involved my age. simply b/c the person you will be working under doesn't want to waste a position on someone who 2 years down the road feels like this isn't for them and then bail out of the program. i think most professional programs just want to know that you are committed and that you won't take an acceptance and then later drop out of the program b/c you find out you don't like it and it's no big deal for you to quit b/c you're so young. most people change their careers about 3 times in their lives. if you really believe that you are dedicated to the field at whatever age, be it 18 or 45, then go for it.
although i would never give up the years i spent in college, they've been the best years of my life so far. i actually regret rushing through them...it's all a learning experience :D

I will be 25 when I apply to UF's COP in the fall. I say if you can get into the program at 18 you should go for it. I wish I would have applied earlier.

I'm 18, but my birthday is coming up in a couple months, so I will be 19 when I start my PharmD professional program. I spent my last two years in high school taking a full-time load of college classes (at a CC mind you). Now I'm finishing the rest of my prereqs up at a larger university. I couldn't be happier about my conditional acceptance to pharmacy school! :) Like I said before, though, I better get studying to raise that ochem grade so I can still be admitted in the fall (gulp)...

Hi, I'm 22 and will finish a B.S (in May), applied to 5 schools, got rejected from 3 and still havn't heard from 2. 18 is a little young to apply to most professional programs, HOWEVER I know there are some schools that only accept students directly into their 6 year programs (pre-pharm included) and you are already accepted into thier professional program (try Rhode Island, and Massacusetts College of Pharmacy) Best of luck.

I am still a baby....25 year old baby that is.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow! only 18 yrs of age? Thats crazy...I was in my first year of undergrad at the age. Are people just graduating from HS earlier? Or are you guys going into the 6yr programs? Im 22 and in my first year of Pharmacy school. The youngest person in our class is at least 20. I say go to undergrad and get your degrees. So, if you dont like it you at least have something to fall back on. I know a girl who started pharmacy school at 19 and hated it. She didn't have a degree and really got screwed.

I'm 25, with an AA and working on my BS in Biomedical Sciences. I took two years off, to "find myself," and since I work full-time, I can only take the minimum amount of hours each semester to stay full-time at school also. So, if I don't get into pharm school this fall, then I'll get my BS next May and reapply for next year.

I sure wish that my high school had had options where we could take college courses at the same time. The only options to us then were AP classes.

I am 22 and finished UCLA almost 2 weeks ago...yeah....

originally posted by LVPHARM
Heck, I wish I was 18 again....I'm turning 32 tomorrow :eek:

hb2.gif
birthday.gif
Feest8.gif
Happy Birthday to you, LV!!!

I turned 26 last month. I have a BS in microbiology from 2001. I will be 29 when I graduate with my PharmD. People still think I'm 18 just by looking at me, though. I got carded when I was buying a Sharpie marker last week. :laugh: :rolleyes:

I am 26 and got my BS at 21. Personally, I felt I got a lot more out of college during my postbac in the last couple of years. I was more enthusiastic about learning.

I'm 22 (will be 23 in June) and I got my BS in May 2003. Just been doing some postbac classes this past year. Hoping to get in somewhere (heck I'm willing to go almost anywhere if they will accept me) for pharm school.

im 23 and have a bachelor of arts already in psy and will be starting pharmacy school this summer. I think that if you are sure pharmacy is for you, then go for it. I wish i had decided earlier. From what it seems though, pharmacy school all the way through is very tough and you arent going to get the same undergrad experience as someone who went to college for a general degree and partied alot. But getting out of school at 24 or so and working is definitly good :)

25 big ones, I graduated last year from UCLA with a BA in Sociology

Happy B-Day LV PHARM:hardy:

21 graduating this year with BS in Applied Ecology and Minor in Education at UCI. Accepted to Hawaii, but hoping for an interview to Loma Linda U.

Haha, finally somebody who's younger than me. For a while, I'm the youngest guy here. I'm 19

I'm 23 and I got my BS Biology in Dec. 2002. I will hopefully be graduating from pharm school in 2008.

Shannon

25 year old with only a BS in Biochemistry make me feel like a loser among you guys. Wish I could go back in time :( :( :(

Vannie4uBaby, I wonder if we took some classes together at UCLA? I was MIMG major

The average age of the entering class for usc when I first started out was 25.9. Trust me there will be people a lot older than that and people a lot younger than that. So don't feel bad. In all honesty, being a little bit more mature does have its advantages. For one, knowing how do deal with difficult people and knowing how to talk to doctors, knowing how to not waiste time, knowing how to study more efficiently, knowing to do the hw assignment the night before instead of drinking all night and not waiting until the morning to cram it all in.

I use to study at Young Hall all the time. The good old days. I miss the hard seats and crappy view outside the windows:D

yea UW (university of washington) did mention that their average student was 27 years old. I had a better interview at WSU (washington sate university)and so i'm hoping to get accepted by them. Both are 4 year programs. I already have my AA degree and i'm completeing the last of my pre-eqs this quarter. I'm just glad i got hired at RIte Aid this past month. So if i dont get accepted this year i'll just get a year of experience and have a much better chance next year.

I do agree with the maturity factor though. I'll admit when i took my first college classes at 16 I didn't know what I was doing and my grades showed it. But then after 2 quarters I grew up and totally changed my study habits and pulled my overall gpa up to a 3.7

i just turned 23- i got a bs in finance from nyu ill be startin pharm school in the fall in mass. im in a 3 year thing and i dont mind the fact that it'll be non stop studying for 3 years (minus the rotations) coz i partied enough @ nyu i do wish i cud rewind time and done pharm str8 outta high school but everything happens for a reason i guess :)

umm....48.....

I'm 29 now. I graduated in 1996 w/ my bachelors, then taught 8th graders for a few years, then had babies... Now I'm starting Pharm school in the fall. I have no regrets about my path... I would not have the conviction I have now about my chosen field. I think I might have felt as though I had missed something if I had gone into pharm school at 20...

My dad is also a pharmacist. He graduated at 23 from pharmacy school and has never regretted it. I have a lot of respect for young people who know what they want and go out and get it!

My only advice: take opportunities when they arise. Don't put off the fun times in your life for later. Later, you'll have more responsibilities, less time off, and possibly little people to take care of. Life only gets more complicated. Enjoy it now, for you will have to enjoy it differently later.

I'm 22 and will be starting pharmacy school this fall.
I wish I had a chance to apply to the pharmacy school a few years ago. Don't let them discourage you. It is what you think that really matters.

I'm 25 and a P1. I graduated with a BA in 2001, worked, got married, yada yada, before deciding to go back. Now that I am in pharmacy school, I am SO GLAD I didn't go straight through with pharmacy from the beginning because I sure had a heck of a lot more fun my first time through college, wouldn't change one thing! I agree with pharmel who said not to rush, these are some great years of your life!!!

It is weird to be in a class with people that are so much younger (and single) than me, and frankly, at the risk of being flamed by you youngins, I find it a little scary that my pharmacist could be only 23 :eek: