How old is too old for med school references?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

coffeeislife4

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I consider myself a mature student, having completed my undergrad and MSc, and having spent a few years working. For my med application I was planning on having one from my MSc. Supervisor, one from the veterinary hospital that I work at, and one from my volunteer work with a distress line.
I really want to use the distress line reference as I feel that it showcases my communication and support skills well, and I volunteered over 250hrs with them. However, I last volunteered with them in 2016/2016. Would this be too old to be considered a good reference? I could use a reference from one of my MSc committee members, however I feel like it could be similar to the one my supervisor is going to write. Any advice or anecdotes would be appreciated!
 
I think a lot of people would be hesitant to give you credit for a volunteer experience 4 years ago if you haven't done anything since. I would try to see if you can get a recent shadowing letter