How old where you when you entered med School O' ye non trads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was 28 when I started.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm 33 at UAG

I will be 34 when I apply. (*fingers crossed*)

Members don't see this ad :)
wook said:
Yeah, and the ones I'm familiar with are from UNECOM. Having a diversity in age makes for a very fun and interesting class!!

Wook

Absolutely! That's just one of the many reasons I was interested in UNECOM myself.

28. M1 this fall. I pretend to be 22ish most of the time by acting like a fool. It generally works. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get women who are at least of legal drinking age to be interested in me.

Stagger Lee, your screen name scares me.

I will be starting in the Fall. I just turned 31. :)

i am 25 and would be starting in the fall. I would turn 26 in a couple of months.

Stagger Lee said:
My guess is that you will be four years older in four years whether or not you go to medical school. If you go, at least you will be a physician afterwards. :D

Amen to that!

Best wishes to all, and thanks for proving again and again that this CAN be done!

Members don't see this ad :)
after my pre-recs ...i hope to get in to a DMD/DDS program at 40 :p

33, starting this fall!! it's never too late

wook said:
I started at 36. The oldest gent in my class started at age 50. We had several in my class that started in their mid-40s.

Wook

What school are you at, Wook? I want classmates closer to my age!

I need to show this thread to my dad. He’s 42 and although he always wanted to be a doctor he couldn’t pursue it at first because he had to take care of his family, by the time things got better he was in his late 20s and thought himself to be too old. :(

Congratulations to all of you for going after what you want. :thumbup:

megboo said:
Are you Maori?

Kia Ora!

Kei te pēhea koe?

kei te pai! and tena koe. no, I'm not Maori. you? I'm just a big fan of New Zealand. I spent several weeks there earlier this year and fell in love with the place.

40 when I started Medschool (I turned 41 the month after LOL)

kia ora said:
kei te pai! and tena koe. no, I'm not Maori. you? I'm just a big fan of New Zealand. I spent several weeks there earlier this year and fell in love with the place.

I was once married to one and lived in NZ, but that was several years ago. It's a fantastic place, for sure. I wish I could find the time to go back.

So many of my friends say they want to go for a week and I tell them they need a month - minimum!

41 and starting this fall, but I look 29 :D . No really quit laughing :mad:

Hello, All!

I'll be 29 years old when I start this coming August. It's really nice to know there are other non trads out there making their way to med school at an older age! This is fabulous! Congrats to everyone and good luck in school!

I'll be 36 next month. Admitted to a couple of Carib schools,but now thinking may be should try U.S D.O. But it could take up to another 2 years :eek:
I think I should go now.

Good Luck to you al guys :D

cabinbuilder said:
32 when I started. graduate in 2 weeks. Yes!!

Congrats!!!!!!!!!! :D Dr.!

I'm 37 and starting med school in 2 months.
Married, 2 little ones.

you guys are so determined! such a great inspiration! :)

Just turned 45! :eek: In 4 short weeks I'll finish my subspecialty fellowship and have a sweet job waiting for me!!!!!!!!!! :D Yes...it seems like just yesterday I was starting med school and at the ripe old age of 36, was afraid I'd be the oldest in the class. There were at least half a dozen older than me! :laugh:

PainDr said:
Just turned 45! :eek: In 4 short weeks I'll finish my subspecialty fellowship and have a sweet job waiting for me!!!!!!!!!! :D Yes...it seems like just yesterday I was starting med school and at the ripe old age of 36, was afraid I'd be the oldest in the class. There were at least half a dozen older than me! :laugh:
Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yea!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

live2theedge said:
I will start medical school this fall at the age of 51!
WOW! that is amazing, good for you. i'm 34 & soon to be 35 & have become frustrated with the whole process. taken the MCAT twice & did crappy both times. i wanted to take it again in August but wouldn't do it without taking the Kaplan course(which i have never taken before) but it's $1650, don't have that kinda cash! i started to feel "to old" for this process but after reading some of these posts, it's very encouraging to see people doing it no matter what age they are. i just can't get through the damn MCAT :( what did you do to prepare for the MCAT? good luck :D

internetwop said:
WOW! that is amazing, good for you. i'm 34 & soon to be 35 & have become frustrated with the whole process. taken the MCAT twice & did crappy both times. i wanted to take it again in August but wouldn't do it without taking the Kaplan course(which i have never taken before) but it's $1650, don't have that kinda cash! i started to feel "to old" for this process but after reading some of these posts, it's very encouraging to see people doing it no matter what age they are. i just can't get through the damn MCAT :( what did you do to prepare for the MCAT? good luck :D
If you haven't seen it yet, there is an MCAT forum with advice, and also a subforum with advice posts and threads for people to ask questions. There are also threads where people rated their test prep courses, and one where people who scored 30+ on the MCAT give studying advice. You might want to look at some of those. :)

QofQuimica said:
If you haven't seen it yet, there is an MCAT forum with advice, and also a subforum with advice posts and threads for people to ask questions. There are also threads where people rated their test prep courses, and one where people who scored 30+ on the MCAT give studying advice. You might want to look at some of those. :)
thanx! i just noticed the pic under your user name "I'm diene", that's funny, i guess i like stupid humor, atleast i did well in organic chemistry...didn't reflect on the MCAT though!

WOW! I was getting down because it looked like I'd be starting at 25. I'm really proud of all of you! Thanks for the inspiration

That is wonderful. Just curious, what school did you go to?

I am interested to know what schools have a good percentage of applicants older than 30.

PainDr said:

I'll be 27 and hopefully starting medical school next fall (2007)

It is Great to know that I'm not one of the only one who isn't 21 trying to go to medschool. :clap:

I'll be 26 when I apply, but who cares how old you are? As my mom says "you're going to get older anyway, you might as well be doing what you love."

47, and I'm just starting the process, shooting for Fall '08 admission. My grades as an undergrad were less than stellar, and I ended up going into a non-science Federal career in Air Traffic (after several years of low-paying technician jobs). I've missed being involved in science ever since. I did go back to school in the mid-90s to earn an MS in Information Systems, just to prove to myself I could be successful at a high level of work. 25 years after college I pull 90K+, great benefits, and the job sucks my soul dry every day I'm here. Married to a wonderful lady, 2 beautiful kids (son and daughter) who will be entering college at the same time I enter med school, mortgage, you know the drill.

My wife is scared silly at my talk of leaving my job in 2 1/2 years. My kids are bright, and mostly A students, but college scholarships are not a given. I'm doing my best to convince my wife this was not an overnight decision, because I did not talk about it with her until I was sure. I spent many months reading, studying, searching, and praying, trying to determine my life's direction. I went into my present field for the money...terrible idea!! I haven't been living my life's purpose, which is to serve God and my fellow humans through my natural abilities. My goal is Family Medicine. The rural communities in my area are very under served, forcing many families to drive 2-3 hours just to get help. My alma mater is only 1 hour from here, and has a wonderful med school that emphasizes rural medicine.

Right now, I'm working to get back up to speed in Biology, Inorganic & Organic Chemistry, and Physics. Since you folks have already been down this path, what is best? Self-study? Formal in-resident courses? On-line courses? I'm busting my butt daily to get ready for the August 2007 MCAT.

TT

internetwop said:

Stay the course. Also, I'd strongly consider DO programs as they tend to be a bit more forgiving with MCAT scores, and very welcoming of non-trads.

Regardless, don't give up if medicine is really what you want to do. Keep that GPA up though, even if it means pairing back on the number of credits. It's more important to pull the 4.0 than it is carrying 18 credits per term. Good luck.

M2Oer said:
I'll be 26 when I apply, but who cares how old you are? As my mom says "you're going to get older anyway, you might as well be doing what you love."

lol That's so true, in my opinion. You can be a doctor at 50, or something else at 50. But, regardless, you WILL be 50 someday!

I'm 36 now and will be applying for fall 08 or fall 09. It's so great reading about all of you. The thought of being 38 or 39 when I start is tough, but not as tough as being 38 or 39 and still doing what I'm doing now. I can't wait.
Tim

I'll be celebrating my 31st birthday during gross anatomy :)

Started at 28, graduated at 33 (one year for research, one year for baby in the avatar!) Starting residency at 34 :scared: :eek:

I am 28. I will be an MS I at GA-PCOM in the fall Wahoooooooooooooo :laugh: :laugh: :clap: :clap:

If Im accepted for next year, Ill be 34. I just hope Im done with fellowship before the hot flashes start. :laugh: