How physically demanding is Mohs/procedural dermatology?

Started by NSight8
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

NSight8

Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In thinking of Derm fellowship subspecialty choices, I was wondering how physically demanding are the surgical sub-specialties of Derm? For example, if you have mild back pain from repeated bending or knee pain, etc., would it be exacerbated significantly over a career? I know most Mohs surgeons stand for surgery... Do you know of any that sit down while they operate?
 
In thinking of Derm fellowship subspecialty choices, I was wondering how physically demanding are the surgical sub-specialties of Derm? For example, if you have mild back pain from repeated bending or knee pain, etc., would it be exacerbated significantly over a career? I know most Mohs surgeons stand for surgery... Do you know of any that sit down while they operate?

As an older resident, I have noticed a not-so-insignificant amount of back pain when working with attendings who insist on standing. I've also worked with attendings who insist on being seated for every case and have flexible chairs to appropriately position the patient.

All things being considered, I don't think this job can be classified as truly physically demanding (like say, surgeons who spend hours on end in the OR) but I've heard from multiple attendings that unless you are very attentive to ergonomics, there is a fair amount of strain on the body that can add up over time