How possible is it...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ravupadh

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
to move into an MD/PhD program while you're still an MD? Is it as competitive and are there specific steps you must take? Thanks. I really don't care about the stipend they give. I just want to be able to get the PhD in the 3-5 years.

Members don't see this ad.

Many schools will let you apply to their combined program during/after your first year of med school. As for how competitive, I have no idea and it probably varies by school. Maybe someone else on the board has more information. A little more information about your situation might also be helpful. Are you in med school and just decided you want an MD/PhD? Did you apply MD/PhD and only got into MD programs and want to try and get into a program after matriculation?

Many schools will let you apply to their combined program during/after your first year of med school. As for how competitive, I have no idea and it probably varies by school. Maybe someone else on the board has more information. A little more information about your situation might also be helpful. Are you in med school and just decided you want an MD/PhD? Did you apply MD/PhD and only got into MD programs and want to try and get into a program after matriculation?

Well it's cause I know I can't get into an MD/PhD program with my stats (3.48 GPA and 3.21 Sci GPA, 1 year of research experience and 26 MCAT which I'm going to retake in June.) I'm currently a senior in college and I've been waitlisted at UMDNJ-SOM so I'm probably just going to reapply to MD and DO schools in the upcoming cycle if I don't get off the list. I would have to do amazingly well on the MCAT to get into an MD/PhD program so I was just wondering if there was some route whereby I might just apply for an MD program (UMDNJ-NJMS hopefully) and then move into the MD/PhD phase while matriculated. I DO NOT want to do the MD and PhD separately since that would take way too long. Thanks. Here are my stats:

GPA: 3.484 (Sci GPA: 3.21, Non Sci GPA: 4.00) (139 Credits with Biology/History Double Major)
MCAT: 26P (10 BS, 9 V (Just didn't practice enough), and 7 PS) I am going to retake them on June 16th. I'm hoping for a 30+ since I've started studying already and am placing much more emphasis on the physical sciences since that's what seems to be getting me.
Five Letters of Recommendation (2 Science, 1 Non-Science, 1 from Research Mentor, and 1 from DO Shadowing)
Volunteered at my local hospital for 6 months (4 hours per week.)
Shadowed an Osteopathic Primary Physician for 5 weeks (8 hours per week.)
Currently am shadowing a Vascular Surgeon at Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital (Hours Vary Weekly)
Have been conducting research on the evolution of dinoflagellate toxicity at a laboratory I'm currently employed (20 hours per week since June 2010. Have done a poster already and am currently writing a paper with first authorship.)

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are not qualified to get into a school's MD/PhD program directly, there is not a good chance that you will get in after matriculation. The requirements are not reduced, although at some schools a very strong showing in your pre-clinical years may assist you. Some schools never take anyone, some schools regularly add students to the program from the MD class. It is very school and situation-dependent. 1 year of research is on the short side. Your goals for pursuing the PhD will be extremely important, especially for marginal candidates.

Hmm I see. Well that's a bummer. Don't some schools allow you to do research rotations in the summer between your 1st and 2nd years in order to rack up research experience?

It is not simply about how much research you do, but about who the person is doing it. You could be much more prepared to enter a PhD program than people with much more experience than you... it is up to the program to determine whether or not they will accept you. Don't let me dissuade you from pursuing your goals, but it is less than a sure-thing of getting into an MD/PhD program from an MD program for anyone. If someone is less qualified than their normal applicants (based on research, academic record, knowledge/experiences in research, and future goals a person desires a PhD to accomplish), then that person is less likely to be admitted.

Again, it is school-dependent and situation-dependent. Some schools will have no slots, others will have slots for qualified students. Joining the program as an MD student is not a sure thing for anyone. For instance, a few years ago at Emory, 3 students applied internally for 1 spot, while around 9 spots were reserved for traditional applicants. Your best bet is to apply from the outset. The internal track is not a sure-thing, so you should be aware that if you matriculate to an MD program, depending on the structure of the program and their history of taking internal applicants, your chance of entering the program from this route is not great.

Last edited:
It is not simply about how much research you do, but about who the person is doing it. You could be much more prepared to enter a PhD program than people with much more experience than you... it is up to the program to determine whether or not they will accept you. Don't let me dissuade you from pursuing your goals, but it is less than a sure-thing of getting into an MD/PhD program from an MD program for anyone. If someone is less qualified than their normal applicants (based on research, academic record, knowledge/experiences in research, and future goals a person desires a PhD to accomplish), then that person is less likely to be admitted.

Again, it is school-dependent and situation-dependent. Some schools will have no slots, others will have slots for qualified students. Joining the program as an MD student is not a sure thing for anyone. For instance, a few years ago at Emory, 3 students applied internally for 1 spot, while around 9 spots were reserved for traditional applicants. Your best bet is to apply from the outset. The internal track is not a sure-thing, so you should be aware that if you matriculate to an MD program, depending on the structure of the program and their history of taking internal applicants, your chance of entering the program from this route is not great.

Well I just got an e-mail from njms admissions saying that it is possible for matriculated MD students to enter the MD/PhD. I asked what the path is and the requirements in order for that to occur. I haven't had a response yet. The only thing that's keeping me from applying directly into the MD/PhD program is the fact that if you're denied for the program, you'll be placed in the regular applicant pool which will be late in the application cycle. I'm hesitant about taking that risk.

The most direct info would come from the MD/PhD program. I would phrase it a something that you are considering (as they will wonder at this point in the application cycle why you did not apply directly). Information on how many students from the MD class have applied in the last few years and how many were accepted would be very good information to have.

what type of research are you interested in doing? I just graduated with a PhD from NJMS and at this point would not really recommend it (multiple bad experiences amongst my fellow graduate students), but it depends on what area you would like to do research in.

what type of research are you interested in doing? I just graduated with a PhD from NJMS and at this point would not really recommend it (multiple bad experiences amongst my fellow graduate students), but it depends on what area you would like to do research in.

Oh really? o_O That doesn't sound good lol. I'm interested in gene therapy... specifically fetal gene therapy. What was bad about the program?

And this is what the program director e-mailed back to me:

""We have accepted about a half-dozen transfer students from the
regular MD program into the MD/PhD program in the last 7 or 8 years. You would submit an application, including the MD/PhD app questionaire and an updated NJMS transcript, and would be considered along with the applicant pool for that year. We are looking for applicants that anticipate research to be a critical aspect of their career goals, and that have experience in a research setting. I look to recruit 5 students per yr into the dual degree program, so it is competitive. I would be pleased to speak with you if you have other questions."