How realistic is spurning insurance? (related to article)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Silent Cool

Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why don't more FM/IM docs do this?

Aside from the fact that most doctors aren't entrepreneurs, the article itself says:

Drawbacks
As with any model of health care, ours has some potential drawbacks. One is working with insured patients who need out-of-network referrals. This can be a hassle when services require prior approval from an in-network primary care provider. For some patients, the co-pay may be higher for an out-of-network provider or the coverage may be less, and this is the biggest reason for patient attrition, though attrition has been very low.

A second challenge is trying to absorb staff turnover or illness with a small staff. We have addressed this by having many well-trained volunteers available to step in when needed. These volunteers are usually pre-med students from local universities who want to gain experience in a clinical setting. Typically we have two to three students per semester volunteering who can stand in if needed.

Aside from the fact that most doctors aren't entrepreneurs, the article itself says:

Blue, if you were to operate a practice like the one in the article, would you likely earn more money? Anyone can be an entrepreneur.

Cabinbuilder--have you seen this? Because you work locums, I'm curious if you have considered something like this and what your reasons would be for doing or not doing it.

Members don't see this ad :)
So then we're talking under 200K?

No, you should be able to do better than that once you've built up your practice.

From the article:

The net practice profit (my income) is $62 per patient I see. We break even by seeing four patients per day, which yields $328. When you multiply that by 245 clinic days per year, it adds up to about $80,000, which is a bit more than our annual overhead. I provide about 3,500 to 4,000 patient visits per year, and our nurse practitioner provides about 2,500.

$62 profit per patient visit times 3,500 to 4,000 visits = $217,000 to $248,000 per year take-home.

No, you should be able to do better than that once you've built up your practice.

From the article:

$62 profit per patient visit times 3,500 to 4,000 visits = $217,000 to $248,000 per year take-home.

So you're taking home closer to 300K as an FP?

So you're taking home closer to 300K as an FP?

I'm bound by a confidentiality agreement, so I can't be specific about my income. Here are some recent stats, however. More than one-third of FPs earn >$200K.

2012_FMcomp.png

http://www.medscape.com/features/sl...amilymedicine?src=wnl_edit_specol&uac=45494DJ

Last edited by a moderator: