Can you make 300K in FM? My friend says it is "easy" but every online article says FM doesn't pay.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Although OP may have been trolling us...you guys really helped me realize that the physician that I just let go....it was all them and not me.

They were on track to make about 230k a year averaging 13-14 patients a day plus with benefits.

Its hard cutting a physician but somehow, this really helped me not feel guilty about it.
Nah no trolling.

I think I brought about a very healthy discussion.

I think most of you guys are thinking too small. 300K seems very attainable...perhaps even more than that from what I am observing.

I brought up the 1 million just to get some feedback. No need to get bent out of shape over it. You all are not going to get any poorer or lose your jobs just by me asking about potential salaries.

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think a more interesting discussion, to kinda get back on track with the point of this thread, is not necessarily "cAn I MaK3 $e00,000 in FaMilY MedICInE?!"
But rather, can you make $200k working only 30 hours a week? Can you make $250k working only 35 hours a week? Can you make $300k working 40 hours a week? etc.

And then, on top of that, is how many patients would you realistically need to average per hour over the course of an entire year to hit that mark. I know from previous threads that the wRVUs is where this all stems from, and that confuses me a little bit mostly because I'm only an MS3 and am not incentivized to know much about billing yet.

Reactions: 3 users
I think a more interesting discussion, to kinda get back on track with the point of this thread, is not necessarily "cAn I MaK3 $e00,000 in FaMilY MedICInE?!"
But rather, can you make $200k working only 30 hours a week? Can you make $250k working only 35 hours a week? Can you make $300k working 40 hours a week? etc.

And then, on top of that, is how many patients would you realistically need to average per hour over the course of an entire year to hit that mark. I know from previous threads that the wRVUs is where this all stems from, and that confuses me a little bit mostly because I'm only an MS3 and am not incentivized to know much about billing yet.
That makes sense. Why don't you describe the workload for making $300K and $500K?

Just now saw a couple job offers from a well known medical system in my state. They pay $240-250,000 as per the AMGA data for the region for guaranteed salary, with +/- depending on how hard you work afterward (RVUs, panel size, call structure, how rural/mobile you're willing to go). Optional OB adds on as well but that's irrelevant to me. Locations tend to be towns of 15-25,000 that are ~1hr outside of the hospital HQ and 1-1.5hrs outside the state Capitol city,

As to the work ethic required to make $300+ a year, I've been told it's all about efficiency. Sure, you WILL be working more, but it's about working smart and not a single minute of your day is wasted. The physicians I met who do this (unlike the massively inefficient system in our residency clinic inherent to the fact it's a learning environment) have patients roomed and seen efficiently, have their notes done ASAP, and know exactly what and how to bill their services. Add on some niche services like DOT physicals or procedures that not every physician does.

Reactions: 4 users

Overhead gets really really tough to combat for part time.

Fixed costs are

billing platform
EMR
sharps disposal
HIPAA messaging
paper shredding
Malpractice
Telephones
Cleaners
Health Insurance
Credit Card for supplies
Payroll
Rent

Even if you go down to 2 days a week, you still have this overhead, even though some of it will also shrink,

The harsh reality is that part time medicine often does not work most of the time work unless you are adding value in some other way to your group. Most clinics run on 35-55% overhead.

So if you work a 5 day week, 2.5 days may be spent on overhead alone. Even if you go to part time and decrease costs, if you spent 2 days on overhead and work a 3 day week....the juice to squeeze ratio just no longer makes sense. I wouldn't want to work 3 days and only take home 33% of my income.

This is where locums, telemed, or urgent care ****s then come into play but then the expense comes at your time in terms of travel or undesirable hours worked (holidays or weekends). Plus, you run the risk of them replacing you with someone cheaper or canceling your shifts.

I know several doctors who do only one week of locums a month and just chill the rest of the month. However, they are okay making 100k a year and traveling + being away from their family for that week.

Reactions: 8 users

Fixed costs are

billing platform
EMR
sharps disposal
HIPAA messaging
paper shredding
Malpractice
Telephones
Cleaners
Health Insurance
Credit Card for supplies
Payroll
Rent

Even if you go down to 2 days a week, you still have this overhead, even though some of it will also shrink,

The harsh reality is that part time medicine often does not work most of the time work unless you are adding value in some other way to your group. Most clinics run on 35-55% overhead.

So if you work a 5 day week, 2.5 days may be spent on overhead alone. Even if you go to part time and decrease costs, if you spent 2 days on overhead and work a 3 day week....the juice to squeeze ratio just no longer makes sense. I wouldn't want to work 3 days and only take home 33% of my income.

This is where locums, telemed, or urgent care ****s then come into play but then the expense comes at your time in terms of travel or undesirable hours worked (holidays or weekends). Plus, you run the risk of them replacing you with someone cheaper or canceling your shifts.

I know several doctors who do only one week of locums a month and just chill the rest of the month. However, they are okay making 100k a year and traveling + being away from their family for that week.
Aw man, understanding that concept was the cerebral equivalent to getting socked in the stomach. Now my tummy hurts and I feel slightly out of breath and wanna lay down.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The fact of the matter is that it's not difficult (not the same as easy) to make 300k/yr as an IM/FM doc. But to make 400k+, you will have to work for it.

Reactions: 2 users
The fact of the matter is that it's not difficult (not the same as easy) to make 300k/yr as an IM/FM doc. But to make 400k+, you will have to work for it.
400K sounds even better.

I guess 1 million was asking for a lot but you can always marry another doctor and get there too.

I would not pursue FM if they were stuck at 200-250K. It just wouldn't make much financial sense considering the high cost of medical school and the length of training.

Reactions: 1 users
400K sounds even better.

I guess 1 million was asking for a lot but you can always marry another doctor and get there too.

I would not pursue FM if they were stuck at 200-250K. It just wouldn't make much financial sense considering the high cost of medical school and the length of training.
There might be many FM/IM docs who make 200-250, but these docs are probably working in very desirable locations (big metros) where most people want to be. If one is ok to be 1+ hr outside of these big metros, it should not be difficult to make 300k/yr.

There might be many FM/IM docs who make 200-250, but these docs are probably working in very desirable locations (big metros) where most people want to be. If one is ok to be 1+ hr outside of these big metros, it should not be difficult to make 300k/yr.
That's interesting because the cost of living is also much higher so that eats into the 250 figure quite a bit. Outside a big city the cost of living is much lower so that 300K will go much further.

I guess the important thing to consider with FM when money is a factor is location first.

Not gonna lie a CNP whose doing 100 a month versus someone whose doing 2 a month is still a lose lose situation.

I think as with a lot of things non-emergent colon and endoscopies probably could be expanded back to general medicine. But I don't envision that happening.

Fixed costs are

billing platform
EMR
sharps disposal
HIPAA messaging
paper shredding
Malpractice
Telephones
Cleaners
Health Insurance
Credit Card for supplies
Payroll
Rent

I can't like this enough. Thank you. A few years ago it was worked out that I need to average 16 patients a day just to tread water making a salary of $140k. Math and patient care is not on your side trying to be a part time primary care doc. Your partners will find themselves picking up your slack on days you're not there and they may not be very understanding.

Going into FM I have sort of been getting cold feet over money. These posts are reassuring, but is there a good way to get income by region? I don't really trust salary.com and all of that stuff. Mostly interested in the mid-atlantic and new england.

Is everyone making $300k+ in the midwest?
A lot of private or non-academic jobs in the Midwest pay this for 9 half days of clinic. My institution starts FM faculty at $175k for 1 FTE (8 half days). It's not great in academia. You don't have as big of the production push, but you seem to have more of a "do more extracurricular stuff" push.
Although OP may have been trolling us...you guys really helped me realize that the physician that I just let go....it was all them and not me.

They were on track to make about 230k a year averaging 13-14 patients a day plus with benefits.

Its hard cutting a physician but somehow, this really helped me not feel guilty about it.
Is it wrong that this would be kind of a dream job for me. Seeing 14-18 pts 4.5 days a week actually seems doable while also practicing good medicine and putting in the time for the patients that need it.
Basically they just kept getting tons of negative feedback and were not a team player. I kept trying to give them more and more time to correct issues. Lots of feedback about how to correct deficiencies but it seemed to never get rectified.

He never checked any uploaded documents from consultants.

When they covered my patients....they never helped me out. They may have done 4 face to face visits since I last saw a patient and highlighted in my last note was things like NEXT VISIT PT NEEDS TO HAVE PSA CHECKED TO FOLLOW ELEVATED PSA TREND. and it never got checked....he just seemed to ignore our notes and reminders and just billed quick level 4 visits and would put things like below this point pcp to follow up....like bro....you are a ****ing pcp now not an urgent care.

He started to cherry pick his patients.....Only wanted to do the quick level 4 visits and started to cancel "complicated visits" such as walking out on a patient who told him that he was there for chronic fatigue. I get it, its a ****ty visit but you just can't cherry pick the easy visits.

Started to get loose with the meds. Oh new patient that we have never bet before, here is 90 days worth of Adderall....

Tons and tons of negative feedback about how rude he was, didn't seem to care, or just referred out for everything. One patient literally came back the next day to see me instead of him and reading his note it was clear he was checked out.

hand pain -referral to ortho
reports of neck nodule ---referral to ent
pt reports abnormal mole ---derm referral
diarrhea ---GI referral
SOB - sending to pulm for PFTs

I really tried to make it work for him and lost my ass off of him being there. I lost probably about $100,000 hiring him which is my biggest financial mistake to date in the clinic.

Despite often having 20% less patients on his schedule his no show rate was 3.5 times the other doctors in the practice. Huge sign that his patients just didn't like him.

Nice guy, just not meant to be in outpatient medicine and hes going back to hospitalist. I wish him the best.
Yeah, sounds burnt out or hates clinic. You did what you could.
Oh wow, was totally thinking this was "fresh out of residency" kind of behavior rather than someone with nearly a decade out of training.
No way was this just out of training. That period is the time when you are spending extra hours triple checking everything because it's finally on you without an attending to even give an OK to the plan.
I can't like this enough. Thank you. A few years ago it was worked out that I need to average 16 patients a day just to tread water making a salary of $140k. Math and patient care is not on your side trying to be a part time primary care doc. Your partners will find themselves picking up your slack on days you're not there and they may not be very understanding.
What about doing half primary/half specialty work 4 days a week? Any chance of making that work financially?

What about doing half primary/half specialty work 4 days a week? Any chance of making that work financially?
Would you want a part time PCP for you and your family? Would you send your parents to see one? I'd personally want the best and most available.

Would you want a part time PCP for you and your family? Would you send your parents to see one? I'd personally want the best and most available.
I wasn't asking whether it was possible/marketable, but whether financially it could work assuming you're overlapping overhead (i.e. same staff, same clinic, etc.).

Lots of clinics around here run with a group of part time physicians and they aren't hurting for patients. I see it all over in my area. In fact my PCP does actually work 3 days a week. It's not like they vanish half the week, I just schedule with them on days when they are in. They work in a group, and if someone needs a same day, they see whoever in the group is doing same day. My PCP refills my meds when I need it (I rarely ask with less than 2 days notice), and RNs/MAs triage messages.

Last edited:
All this talk about how much you make neglects one thing and that is how much you spend. The key is to save a big chunk and spend as little as possible, especially early in your career. I'm 41, became financially independent at 35 but this year, my investments have gone up 800K already. What I make doing my professional job is way less than what I earn sitting on my butt. Yes, this year is special and I don't expect markets to keep going up year after year like that but it's possible to have your investments outperform your salary that you actually work for within 10-15 years out of residency. Right now, I don't even care how much I make as a doctor. I only continue to work cuz I'd be bored otherwise.

Reactions: 7 users
All this talk about how much you make neglects one thing and that is how much you spend. The key is to save a big chunk and spend as little as possible, especially early in your career. I'm 41, became financially independent at 35 but this year, my investments have gone up 800K already. What I make doing my professional job is way less than what I earn sitting on my butt. Yes, this year is special and I don't expect markets to keep going up year after year like that but it's possible to have your investments outperform your salary that you actually work for within 10-15 years out of residency. Right now, I don't even care how much I make as a doctor. I only continue to work cuz I'd be bored otherwise.

Don’t you need to have a substantial amount invested if you are making more than 230k a year from your investments? The SPY goes up like 8% on average yearly so to make more than your professional job (230k on average for FM), you would need to have atleast 2.875M invested (which yields 230k based on 8% return). 230k best case scenario (in a 0 income tax state) yields 180.7k take home. If you lived on 80k and invested 100k it would take 14.85 years. Is this the route you took? Or is it smarter to not put it in SPY and instead put it into businesses? You don’t have to give your exact numbers for anonymity but I’m curious as to index funds are the only way to get to a position like yours or if business can fast track the route

A lot of private or non-academic jobs in the Midwest pay this for 9 half days of clinic. My institution starts FM faculty at $175k for 1 FTE (8 half days). It's not great in academia. You don't have as big of the production push, but you seem to have more of a "do more extracurricular stuff" push.

Is it wrong that this would be kind of a dream job for me. Seeing 14-18 pts 4.5 days a week actually seems doable while also practicing good medicine and putting in the time for the patients that need it.

Yeah, sounds burnt out or hates clinic. You did what you could.

No way was this just out of training. That period is the time when you are spending extra hours triple checking everything because it's finally on you without an attending to even give an OK to the plan.

This is awful. Why would a family physician take a job paying that?

Academia? Literally down the street you can get a job with an FQHC making >$275k for 4.5 clinic days or as an FM hospitalist doing 7 on-7 off making >$300k.
FQHCs do that well? What's the catch?

It's not easy to find a PCP and hospitalist these days who is willing to work for minimum wage (<220k/yr) unless it's very desirable metro/suburb.

I am getting locum calls everyday and I told them if you are not willing to pay $200/hr + pay for room/board, flight etc..., I will take a pass.

Midwest? Not big city? Some of them pay pretty well. Even some bigger coastal city FQHCs are paying $250k, from what I've seen.

It's actually kind of crazy. You've got these extremes from what seems like too good to be true jobs, then you've got jobs that boarder on insulting with pay at <$100/hr. These even happening within a 30 min radius of each other. People post on physician groups crazy numbers (good and bad) and it's like we're living in different countries.

I am FM boarded working as a Hospitalist. Work days/nights w/ RVU production. 20 days per month. Make 500K/yr.

• Love
I am FM boarded working as a Hospitalist. Work days/nights w/ RVU production. 20 days per month. Make 500K/yr.
How long have you been doing that?

My hospitalist job is an ok job, but I think if I had to work >18 days/month on a consistent basis, it wouldn't take me even 1 year to get burned out.

Last edited:
May I ask what part of the country you’re in? I love the scope of FM but want the ability to be a hospitalist for a few years out of residency and am wondering if I should play it safe and go IM just in case.

Did you have any difficulty getting a hospitalist position with as FM? Looking at the Phoenix region I see plenty of job bulletins that say IM or FM boarded, but I’d love to hear from someone on the ground whether they truly don’t discriminate or not

There is usually a catch for jobs with remuneration outside the norm. I will say that 275k is a very good income for an FQHC since many times they come with loan repayment options. I don't know how the work conditions are in the 275k FQHC job but I presume the patient volume is very high. There is usually a catch.

Physicians are one of the most notorious groups for trying to count each others' money, and living way above their means. Never try to count other peoples' money!

The income is good at all levels, the problem arises when the primary care doc with $250k in student loans wants to send all 3 kids to private school, drive an $80k Benz and live in a $600k house like his/her radiologist colleague.... and wonders why the credit card bills get higher each month. Surely it means we're not getting paid like we should, right?

The trap is to want to live the "doctor life" the moment you graduate from residency with the first big income "guarantee" you have ever known. You come to find out how far it doesn't go when you have the student loan sharks circling for their pound of flesh every month.
you nailed it my friend

Just signed for a Nocturnist job paying 390k for 14 shifts, will add suboxone for another 160k for 4-5 shifts. Maybe throw a 24 hour ER shift just because paying 4K a shift once a month for another 48k. Money is everywhere and I still get days off every month.

Just signed for a Nocturnist job paying 390k for 14 shifts, will add suboxone for another 160k for 4-5 shifts. Maybe throw a 24 hour ER shift just because paying 4K a shift once a month for another 48k. Money is everywhere and I still get days off every month.
Lines, vent management, intubations?

Can you explain what you mean getting pain 160k for suboxone?

Can you explain what you mean getting pain 160k for suboxone?
$50/patient and max you can see maxing out the waiver is 275/month or “actively managing” 275 patients if you are doing what you are supposed to with monthly check-ins. Gives you 165k.

$50/patient and max you can see maxing out the waiver is 275/month or “actively managing” 275 patients if you are doing what you are supposed to with monthly check-ins. Gives you 165k.
275 suboxone patients a month?!?!

Just signed for 2 years of base in the 200s and quarterly incentives that are RVU based in low 50s once I get above 1000 RVU each quarter. Joining a busy practice and expect 20 patients per day, 5 days week at average of 1.5rvu per visit (very conservative estimate) *48 weeks would be about 160,000 production bonus for the year on top of the 200k something base. After 2 years it’s strictly rvu based.

All this talk about money is silly, it’s all relative. What are your goals in life? If your goal is to make tons of money then don’t go into primary care, simple.

My goal was to make enough money to have a comfortable life, send my kids to college, spend time with them as they grow up, and not kill myself working. Goal achieved.

I currently make around $275,000 a year working from 7:30-4:30 M-Th, until noon on Fridays, no weekends, no holidays, and my employer pays my student loans and I get a bonus of around $20-25k every six months, depending on my productivity. If that’s not enough for you, then don’t go into primary care.

If your goal is to make $300k or higher, going into primary care is not a good plan.

My surgical colleagues make $500k or more easily, but they work weekends and holidays, have to rush to the hospital when on call, and some are divorced due to the strain of that schedule. If that’s your goal in life, fine, good luck to you.

I’m perfectly happy where I’m at. Kids are happy, tons of good things, my two oldest ones have cars that I purchased for them, nice big house, time to spend with them, I don’t need anything more. If you need more than that, don’t go into primary care.

• Dislike
  • Love
All this talk about money is silly, it’s all relative. What are your goals in life? If your goal is to make tons of money then don’t go into primary care, simple.

My goal was to make enough money to have a comfortable life, send my kids to college, spend time with them as they grow up, and not kill myself working. Goal achieved.

I currently make around $275,000 a year working from 7:30-4:30 M-Th, until noon on Fridays, no weekends, no holidays, and my employer pays my student loans and I get a bonus of around $20-25k every six months, depending on my productivity. If that’s not enough for you, then don’t go into primary care.

If your goal is to make $300k or higher, going into primary care is not a good plan.

My surgical colleagues make $500k or more easily, but they work weekends and holidays, have to rush to the hospital when on call, and some are divorced due to the strain of that schedule. If that’s your goal in life, fine, good luck to you.

I’m perfectly happy where I’m at. Kids are happy, tons of good things, my two oldest ones have cars that I purchased for them, nice big house, time to spend with them, I don’t need anything more. If you need more than that, don’t go into primary care.
talk of money isn’t silly… sounds like you’re mid or even later on in your career if your kids are old enough to have cars.

The issue for young docs coming out of training is

1. Rapidly increasing tuition and living expenses means larger student loans which end up being a huge burden and takes a sizable chunk of your income

2. Cost of living is increasing dramatically in the post Covid world. Just food prices alone have gone up at crazy rate

3. Housing is becoming unaffordable even in smaller sized metros.

for many, the lower bounds of physician income no longer supports a “comfortable” life in many parts of the country.
I live in a medium/large ish metro in the Midwest that wouldn’t make it onto anyone top 20 list, yet the houses here in “good” school districts are not affordable unless you have no student loans or make $350k+.

talk of money isn’t silly… sounds like you’re mid or even later on in your career if your kids are old enough to have cars.

The issue for young docs coming out of training is

1. Rapidly increasing tuition and living expenses means larger student loans which end up being a huge burden and takes a sizable chunk of your income

2. Cost of living is increasing dramatically in the post Covid world. Just food prices alone have gone up at crazy rate

3. Housing is becoming unaffordable even in smaller sized metros.

for many, the lower bounds of physician income no longer supports a “comfortable” life in many parts of the country.
I live in a medium/large ish metro in the Midwest that wouldn’t make it onto anyone top 20 list, yet the houses here in “good” school districts are not affordable unless you have no student loans or make $350k+.

Bingo.

You make over 300 k based upon bonuses! When you stop caring about money is when they take it from you and give it to admins, support staff or specialists.

If you are not making 300k+ as a doc (any type of doc) it's because you choose to.

This sounds so good! I’ve been thinking of how possible to combine addictions treatment with a Hospitalist gig. If you wouldn’t mind giving me some advice and permission to DM I’ll be glad! Thanks 🙏🏾

It's a matter of disproportional effort. Peds and FM, for example, must work much more than a specialist to clear this income level.
I don't know about peds. FM inpatient/outpatient docs should be able to make 300k+ without killing themselves.