Can you make 300K in FM? My friend says it is "easy" but every online article says FM doesn't pay.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
talk of money isn’t silly… sounds like you’re mid or even later on in your career if your kids are old enough to have cars.

The issue for young docs coming out of training is

1. Rapidly increasing tuition and living expenses means larger student loans which end up being a huge burden and takes a sizable chunk of your income

2. Cost of living is increasing dramatically in the post Covid world. Just food prices alone have gone up at crazy rate

3. Housing is becoming unaffordable even in smaller sized metros.

for many, the lower bounds of physician income no longer supports a “comfortable” life in many parts of the country.
I live in a medium/large ish metro in the Midwest that wouldn’t make it onto anyone top 20 list, yet the houses here in “good” school districts are not affordable unless you have no student loans or make $350k+.
I would also like to add the increased competition to get into medical school these days. 20 years ago you only needed a 3.5 and like a 60th percentile MCAT score when now there's non ivy league schools whose average incoming class is a 3.8+ 515+. Like any job if you are more selective with who you hire the ones you do expect to be compensated for it.

Members don't see this ad.

I would also like to add the increased competition to get into medical school these days. 20 years ago you only needed a 3.5 and like a 60th percentile MCAT score when now there's non ivy league schools whose average incoming class is a 3.8+ 515+. Like any job if you are more selective with who you hire the ones you do expect to be compensated for it.
Med schools admission departments aren't hiring you and employers, Insurance companies, Medicare and Medicaid couldn't care less about how selective of a med school admission process you went through. If you feel that you can't do family medicine because you won such a selective lottery, you probably wouldn't be happy with it anyway.

I honestly like FM but I wouldn't pursue it if it paid less than 200K because I would have exorbitant student loans.

Is 300K a realistic figure for someone who wants to work for it?
I just ran the numbers for my (currently solo) DPC. I could do this if I had one or two partner(s) to split some of the overhead so, yes, that's realistic.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm always on call unless on vacation. Been doing it this way for seven years with 5-600 patients and wouldn't want to ever go back to a call rotation with other docs and their big panels. If I add another doc or two will keep it this way.

Reactions: 1 user
Med schools admission departments aren't hiring you and employers, Insurance companies, Medicare and Medicaid couldn't care less about how selective of a med school admission process you went through. If you feel that you can't do family medicine because you won such a selective lottery, you probably wouldn't be happy with it anyway.
I was talking about the selectiveness of getting into medical school not family medicine. Someone who goes through that much competition should reasonably expect to be compensated for it. They do have to care about it or they would dramatically drop rates instead of chipping. They know if they pay below what a physician thinks they are worth that they won't take that insurance or find a new job.

I was talking about the selectiveness of getting into medical school not family medicine. Someone who goes through that much competition should reasonably expect to be compensated for it. They do have to care about it or they would dramatically drop rates instead of chipping. They know if they pay below what a physician thinks they are worth that they won't take that insurance or find a new job.
I think I understood your point correctly based on this. Again, if you expect a higher competition because you won that competition, that's fine, maybe family medicine isn't for you. Just don't delude yourself that employers or payers think you deserve more pay because of that.

I think I understood your point correctly based on this. Again, if you expect a higher competition because you won that competition, that's fine, maybe family medicine isn't for you. Just don't delude yourself that employers or payers think you deserve more pay because of that.
I'm interested in FM due to the shortage and being able to help a broad range of patients with a broad range of issues. I disagree with your stance that one shouldn't do FM if they think they deserve higher pay based on higher competition to get into medical school. Everyone wants to be paid more for doing harder work, and if a low paying job isn't filled, they will either have to raise the pay or go out of business. Physicians hold the power in clinical businesses, if you have no doctors you have no clinic. Going to the hospital, urgent care, clinic that pays more or hanging your own shingle and rejecting low ball offers is the best thing to do.

I'm interested in FM due to the shortage and being able to help a broad range of patients with a broad range of issues. I disagree with your stance that one shouldn't do FM if they think they deserve higher pay based on higher competition to get into medical school. Everyone wants to be paid more for doing harder work, and if a low paying job isn't filled, they will either have to raise the pay or go out of business. Physicians hold the power in clinical businesses, if you have no doctors you have no clinic. Going to the hospital, urgent care, clinic that pays more or hanging your own shingle and rejecting low ball offers is the best thing to do.
Right but I think what he's saying is that just because you got into medical school doesn't mean you deserve higher pay.

We deserve it given the huge demand for primary care in pretty much every single part of the country. We deserve it because good primary care is essential to a healthy population. We deserve it because good primary care will result in lower costs given all the expensive conditions we can prevent.

Reactions: 6 users
Right but I think what he's saying is that just because you got into medical school doesn't mean you deserve higher pay.

We deserve it given the huge demand for primary care in pretty much every single part of the country. We deserve it because good primary care is essential to a healthy population. We deserve it because good primary care will result in lower costs given all the expensive conditions we can prevent.
End of the day,

Family Medicine physicians deserved to be paid more -> the thought process on why does not really matter.

Lots more grade inflation nowadays. And many more prep classes etc. It was always selective and the board exams are the great equalizer. When people get in, some will have to do primary care.

Lots more grade inflation nowadays. And many more prep classes etc. It was always selective and the board exams are the great equalizer. When people get in, some will have to do primary care.
My school prided itself on grade deflation so that's not always the case. While it has always been selective this past 10 years it has become extremely more so. The average MD student 15 years ago is the average DO student today in terms of average gpa and MCAT.

It makes sense economically to ask for more pay based on supply and demand, is it this way because some doctors are willing to work for peanuts?

My school prided itself on grade deflation so that's not always the case. While it has always been selective this past 10 years it has become extremely more so. The average MD student 15 years ago is the average DO student today in terms of average gpa and MCAT.

It makes sense economically to ask for more pay based on supply and demand, is it this way because some doctors are willing to work for peanuts?
It's not just about the scores. Don't forget the older docs didn't have access to things like sdn and all the resources that are available now. But hey if it makes you feel superior that's fine too. And lots of physicians have massive loans so they will take the reimbursement. And now midlevels are nipping at their heels too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree completely. In my 20+ years, insurers, Medicare and Medicaid have only paid this lip service.

Its complicated. If you're limited for some reason (geography being the main one), there's not much you can do. Our main area of power is the fact that we can leave and get another job. If you can't leave, your bargaining power is very limited.

Agree completely. In my 20+ years, insurers, Medicare and Medicaid have only paid this lip service.
Its getting better. Meeting quality measures = more money. Having complicated patients (higher HCC scores) = more money. Medicare Wellness visits/TCMs pay very well and are pretty easy to do. The CPT changes are designed with us in mind.

Reactions: 1 users
It's not just about the scores. Don't forget the older docs didn't have access to things like sdn and all the resources that are available now. But hey if it makes you feel superior that's fine too. And lots of physicians have massive loans so they will take the reimbursement. And now midlevels are nipping at their heels too.
You still had to have the resources to succeed or nobody would have made it. I don't feel superior the higher requirements are due to competition and not to have better doctors. I'm just saying in a capitalistic market more competition is something that usually results in a demand for more pay. I would love to get reimbursement for my loans when I'm done but if I can get a job that pays more after without a significant increase in responsibilities compared to the one that paid off my loans I'll take the higher paying job after.

Its complicated. If you're limited for some reason (geography being the main one), there's not much you can do. Our main area of power is the fact that we can leave and get another job. If you can't leave, your bargaining power is very limited.
That's the aspect I love about family medicine. It's flexible so you have avenues to go if they try to lowball you and the shortage means you're helping people no matter where you go. I wouldn't consider geography a limitation as much as a choice. You don't have to move super far from family, even 30 min out of alot of major cities turns rural.

You still had to have the resources to succeed or nobody would have made it. I don't feel superior the higher requirements are due to competition and not to have better doctors. I'm just saying in a capitalistic market more competition is something that usually results in a demand for more pay. I would love to get reimbursement for my loans when I'm done but if I can get a job that pays more after without a significant increase in responsibilities compared to the one that paid off my loans I'll take the higher paying job after.
Pls update us when you get your job with salary and benefits.

Harder to get in with all the Caribbean and for profit do schools?

Pretax, I’m making around 25k a month doing 10 shifts of Nocturnist, 25k doing 6 24 hr EM shifts, and a little under where I want to be for suboxone but I’m around 4k a month for another 2-3 days. I can work a little more and do a few urgent care shifts if I want and earn another couple grand a month which is just frosting on top. So yes it is very possible to make 300k+ with a FM residency. I can attest to that.

• Love
Pretax, I’m making around 25k a month doing 10 shifts of Nocturnist, 25k doing 6 24 hr EM shifts, and a little under where I want to be for suboxone but I’m around 4k a month for another 2-3 days. I can work a little more and do a few urgent care shifts if I want and earn another couple grand a month which is just frosting on top. So yes it is very possible to make 300k+ with a FM residency. I can attest to that.
Wow, it sounds like you work hard and are very well-compensated for it. What region do you work in? Rural? And are you 1099 on those jobs?

2 years out. $400K+ for outpatient-only 4.5 days per week. 20 patients per day. Mostly adult medicine (less than 5% pediatrics).

Keys: Mid-Atlantic suburban location with a favorable insurance mix. Signficant quality-based funds from an "in-house health insurer" which has a considerable market-share in the region. My practice is the largest in the health system so we have additional bargaining power when it comes to wRVU rates.

This is a dream job ... and we are expanding/hiring.

Reactions: 5 users
So you make ~700k/yr...

There is really money to be make in medicine.

Are these in the free-standing ED? I thought they only hire EM and not FM/IM

For 10 nocturnist shifts and 6 24h ED shifts.

Pass.
Not everyone can work that much but there are people out there who can do it. One of my co-workers work 24-25 hospital medicine shifts per month. 18 shifts is the max for me.

I’ve done stretches where I work 20 out of 25 days as a hospitalist. At the end, you feel like you want to cut off your manhood. It’s not a sustainable lifestyle, even if it does get you surgeon money.

Reactions: 2 users
2 years out. $400K+ for outpatient-only 4.5 days per week. 20 patients per day. Mostly adult medicine (less than 5% pediatrics).

Keys: Mid-Atlantic suburban location with a favorable insurance mix. Signficant quality-based funds from an "in-house health insurer" which has a considerable market-share in the region. My practice is the largest in the health system so we have additional bargaining power when it comes to wRVU rates.

This is a dream job ... and we are expanding/hiring.
Go on..

I do believe one can earn 300+/year or even more. one of my close friends income last year was like 375,000 this was base+bonuses

This is inspiring. Would love to hear more about the Suboxone gig though! That’s an aspect I know nothing about . How does the pay/income come it?

This is inspiring. Would love to hear more about the Suboxone gig though! That’s an aspect I know nothing about . How does the pay/income come it?
It’s about $50 a patient. You’re limited to 275 pts a month if you max out your waver. Visits can be as short as 3-5 minutes though if you’re trying to do a good job and not just become a pill mill then they will be longer. A lot of it is encouraging the patient that they can do it and using motivational interviewing to get them to want to make a change for themselves and come off suboxone.

It’s about $50 a patient. You’re limited to 275 pts a month if you max out your waver. Visits can be as short as 3-5 minutes though if you’re trying to do a good job and not just become a pill mill then they will be longer. A lot of it is encouraging the patient that they can do it and using motivational interviewing to get them to want to make a change for themselves and come off suboxone.
Wait, you're convincing them to come off of Suboxone? Why exactly are you doing that? Are these people that have been on it for years and you're talking about stepping it down? Because otherwise, unless it's their goal, it doesn't seem like that would be good for them.

Relapse has been associated with reductions and discontinuation of MAT, and I have unfortunately seen some tragic outcomes with individuals that were doing well stabilized on low doses of Suboxone, but were pressured by stigma or a PO to come off.

Last edited:
Wait, you're convincing them to come off of Suboxone? Why exactly are you doing that? Are these people that have been on it for years and you're talking about stepping it down? Because otherwise, unless it's a goal of there's, it doesn't seem like that would be good for them.

Relapse has been associated with reductions and discontinuation of MAT, and I have unfortunately seen some tragic outcomes with individuals that were doing well stabilized on low doses of Suboxone, but were pressured by stigma or a PO to come off.
This has always been something I've wondered about. At one point do you say "OK it's time to finish weaning off"? I'm not saying every patient has to come off Suboxone after 8 months but something just seems off about the same low dose of Suboxone for 10 years.

This has always been something I've wondered about. At one point do you say "OK it's time to finish weaning off"? I'm not saying every patient has to come off Suboxone after 8 months but something just seems off about the same low dose of Suboxone for 10 years.
I treat in a harm reduction model. My goal is not no medications, but if a patient is interested in reduction I support them, but I do it slow. I've seen people go from 16 to 8 in <2 mos then they disappear for months because they relapsed and almost died (those are the ones with better outcomes). I don't do that. I do 2 mg reduction with stability for a few months discussing craving and mood symptoms. As far as when to start reduction, it's up to them, but after a prolonged period of stability (usually 6-12 mos stable on the same dose with no relapses) I offer it if they're interested, but I make it clear it's not a requirement. Basically I treat it the same way I would treat an SSRI. Relapses during reduction mean longer term maintenance and more caution with reduction in the future.

Over time most people I've treated don't love Suboxone. They like feeling normal again sure, but they don't like the medicine. They never really get used to the taste and hate having to come in to get refills every 1-3 mos, etc. I honestly have had less than a handful that have been stabilized on a low dose for 10 yrs that haven't already tried reduction.

Last edited:
  • Hmm
Reactions: 3 users
Why does it seem off?
We use lots of meds long term for chronic conditions.

I make 800K now but have 3 jobs. 1mil if I include trading, dividends, rentals. you can do it but it's going to be work.

Reactions: 4 users
Wait, you're convincing them to come off of Suboxone? Why exactly are you doing that? Are these people that have been on it for years and you're talking about stepping it down? Because otherwise, unless it's their goal, it doesn't seem like that would be good for them.

I don’t want it on my conscience that I am only their new drug dealer. People who take htn and other meds are not “addicted” in the same way suboxone patients are because they need this to feel normal. And now they are in a way forced to come to you or some one else for the rest of their life for this medicine. I am over generalizing here but I hope you get what I’m trying to say.

I suppose a better way to say it than trying to convince them to come off is I ask them what are their goals, and if it is to come down or eventually try weaning off then we give it a shot. Absolutely I never decrease more than 2 mg at any given point. I also offer tapering as a suggestion and never force anyone into doing it when they don’t feel ready. If someone wants to try tapering I am there by their side and tell them if they start feeling withdrawals to call my clinic director who will get in touch with me and we will instruct them what to do and send in an emergency script. I’ll never pull the rug from under someone and just leave them saying “good luck”. If they decide to taper I am right there by their side. I understand some pts will be on this for the rest of their lives and some have no intentions of ever attempting to taper but I feel like it should be offered at a bare minimum at each visit in a caring non confrontational way. These pts are very vulnerable and the last thing I want on my conscience is never giving them a chance to prove to themselves that they MAY eventually be able to come off this stuff.

I’m not sure where I said I try to convince them to cut down but I hope the above explains the rationale in better language if that’s how it came across. Keep in mind, and I’m sure you already know this but it’s for everyone else, that a lot of times a patient will tell you their goal is to cut back and come off suboxone but then be too scared to taper or not want to even try. That’s where motivational interviewing comes in because there’s a lot of this kind of thinking that doesn’t always make sense to us and it helps to get them to connect the dots themselves.

Last edited:
I make 800K now but have 3 jobs. 1mil if I include trading, dividends, rentals. you can do it but it's going to be work.
What setting(s) do you practice in (outpatient, inpatient, ER)? What general region do you work in? About how many hours per week do you put in between your 3 jobs?

Why does it seem off?
We use lots of meds long term for chronic conditions.
If I'm being completely honest, probably part of it is that it's a long term opioid.

We're treating addiction with just a safer form of what the patient is addicted to. In the short to medium term that makes perfect sense, similar to clean needle programs. We also do similar for benzodiazepine abuse, except in that case the long-term goal is to wean people off the medication we use. NHS used to have some great algorithms for doing that with Valium with very detailed weekly prescribing guides based on which drug the patient was on. But none of these patients have chronic <insert drug of abuse>penia.

If I'm being completely honest, probably part of it is that it's a long term opioid.

We're treating addiction with just a safer form of what the patient is addicted to. In the short to medium term that makes perfect sense, similar to clean needle programs. We also do similar for benzodiazepine abuse, except in that case the long-term goal is to wean people off the medication we use. NHS used to have some great algorithms for doing that with Valium with very detailed weekly prescribing guides based on which drug the patient was on. But none of these patients have chronic <insert drug of abuse>penia.
Meanwhile people are being prescribed methadone and buprenoprhine indefinitely by shady providers.

Wait what? Please expand upon this. I assume all 3 jobs are inpatient, and you're double dipping a significant portion of the time.

I too would also like to hear more for the breakdown of this.

I know we've already talked about this, and I'm sure you may have seen articles like this before, but here's a newer one detailing risk factors that increase the likelihood of OD for patients tapering buprenorphine. Nothing ground breaking, but it's helpful for counseling patients regarding risks of tapering in a not so slow or well planned way.

You're working 100 hours/week average?
84 hr/wk at the most. My shifts are 12 hrs. Not uncommon that I work 10-14 days straight. It sucks, but I chose to do it. I do have long commutes and occasional flights which can add up to 6-12 hrs of driving/week. The day trading also takes some time (research, trading...)

So ya I guess, I work = or >100 hrs/wk

Last edited: