How Realistic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SuperHero

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a a 3rd year currently setting my rotation schedule for next year and have realized that I don't have as much elective time as I would like. I know this is a common problem, but I was thinking that I might be able to do a required rotation in a certain specialty that I'm not interested in, but in the hospital that has a residency program of a different specialty that I would like to go into. I don't know how realistic it is to try and make a good impression on members of a department that you are not rotating through. Has anyone had any experience with this? All comments welcomed!!

Members don't see this ad.

What specialties are we talking about here?

I will be doing a Surgery core, but I'm interested in Med-Peds. From my previous month on surgery I know I will not have that much time, but I was thinking that I might be able to at least have a conversation with some of the residents...and would that even make a difference.
I also had the thought that I might be able to do a little extra work when I'm post call from surgery, but only if I feel up to it.
Any thought?

Members don't see this ad :)
It doesn't sound productive to me. It may give you a feel for the area, but a surgical core should keep you busy.

I agree. Nobody remembers the folks not on their service. You won't make any impression at all, and if you do, it will be something negative such as "boy that guy sure is blowing off his rotation to come hang out with us, he really knows how to duck working".

I agree. Nobody remembers the folks not on their service. You won't make any impression at all, and if you do, it will be something negative such as "boy that guy sure is blowing off his rotation to come hang out with us, he really knows how to duck working".

Totally, almost zero chance to make an impression here. Your best bet is to just do your best on the surg clerkship. When students are really good it has a way of getting around the hospital. I suspect it's those loose-lipped phlebotomists spreading the gossip.