How recent should clinical experience be?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

polyploidy516

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

As my most recent clinical experience is from 2016 ( I worked 5 years at an HIV clinic) , I have not done any clinical experience since then ( mostly due to COVID-19); I have 3 years of basic science research.

My only "clinical experience" during COVID is a Contact Tracer for my city government since May 2020; I emailed the director of this program regarding clinical experience at their clinic but was told they are not accepting volunteers yet---I will be receiving an LOR from this person, however.

As I am applying in June, do I need recent clinical experience? I would estimate that my clinical experience is about 500 hours but that is from 2016. Also would contact tracing during COVID19 count? I have been working full time since 2020.

I also have significant teaching experience with the underserved (i.e. teaching reproductive health, STEM, etc) in addition to volunteering for food bank & homeless shelters; do these count or do I need more formal recent clinical volunteering (i.e. hospital, clinic setting, etc)?

I have like 4 months until I apply and would be grateful for your help; the most I can get is like 50 hours if I start now but is that too little?

I would be grateful for your assistance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You are totally fine. Even medical students like myself haven't been able to get many volunteering or clinical rotation activities during COVID. I think the fact that you did something during the pandemic is commendable, especially if you have held a full time job since 2020. If you end up having a tough cycle, then a clinical experience would most definitely not be the reason why.

You may also consider quitting your current job and getting a job at a clinic (scribe, receptionist, etc), but this is not necessary.

Do you have any shadowing experience? If you have shadowing experience, even if it is from a long time ago, that will give you an advantage because many applicants may not have that due to doctors not allowing students to shadow because of COVID (I don't have any data on this, this is purely from speculation).

Reactions: 1 user
Covid didn’t start until 2020 so don’t use that as the excuse for the gap of clinical experience starting in 2016. Every gap in an application can’t be COVID’s fault. I’m not sure what you should call the Contact Tracing. Do you have actual face to face contact with these people? I’m sure they aren’t all sick. We’re you paid for this work?
Do you have shadowing? Especially some with a primary care doc. I kind of agree with @PastaFairy . Get a job as a scribe and continue it during the application cycle. At least you’ll have something more recent and you can send updates throughout the cycle. Good luck.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I appreciate your feedback! From 2016 until COVID started, I worked in two basic science labs at 2 medical schools. I was focusing on doing an Md/Phd and was focused on obtaining quality research experience during that time; my parents also had significant financial issues which is why I was also working to support them. Before all of this, I was working at a clinic for almost 5 years where I did everything from shadowing to medical transcription to patient interaction/care so roughly 500 hours.

I will definitely look for a more recent clinical experience just to play it safe and as opportunities are opening up now. Does my explanation seem justifiable? I never took time off persay ( always classes or research, job, or clinical work). Regarding the COVID job, it is 100% remote but I also started the job during the beginning of the pandemic when face-to-face was not allowed (i.e. city mandates, etc); it is a full time job through the city Government where we worked with the mayor.

I guess I am mainly concerned if I need more time to get a clinical opportunity or if 3-4 months is okay in addition to doing it during the app season? I should have about 550-600 hours total including my old clinical experience.

I understand having to work and help your family. Just keep in mind lots of people do this and have a spouse and kids too. Most applicants manage to do it all. So I’m not sure I’d make a big deal explaining stuff. Just list your activities with dates. Hopefully it will be self explanatory. Also remember medicine has changed in the last 6 years.
As to the Covid Contract Tracing I don’t think it’s clinical. You could list it as Nonclinical Paid and describe what you do(include the fact that it is totally remote) and if your reviewers think it’s really clinical they can move it.

Last edited:
Thank you for your feedback. I will be listing my COVID Contact Tracing as nonclinical as I did not have direct patient experience ( even though I wasn't allowed during that time).

Except for the recent clinical aspect part, I have checked all the boxes for my app; I was just concerned that not having recent clinical experience would be detrimental since so much has changed in healthcare since COVID19; I will definitely look out for more opportunities.

It sounds like you are good particularly given that it appears that you are a non-traditional applicant (looking at your "Joined" date makes me figure that you are far older than the typical 21 year old applicant by at least a decade) and you have had substantial clinical experience. I'd suggest getting some recent shadowing hours to see what medicine is now and how it has changed (ask some older docs what's different now). The split between hospitalists and primary care is one thing that comes to mind as is the move toward corporate ownership of practices and the change for many physicians from small business owner to employee.

I really appreciate your feedback; I am in the process of obtaining shadowing experience and hope to have 50ish hours before app time.

I want to confirm one thing; will schools combine my old clinical experience with the new or will they just care about my new clinical experience since my old clinical experience was years ago (i.e. before COVID)? I want to list the older experience in my app as well because it was unique (I worked with HIV+ patients).

You should absolutely list your old clinical experience; it may be a “most meaningful experience “. I would like to see more current experience as well, or at least some shadowing—it’s hard to be convinced that you really want to be a doc if you’ve been away from medicine for so long.