How rigorous is COCA accreditation? Compared to LCME?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hexane19

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
delete

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
delete

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So yes, we all know that DO schools are popping up like weeds, however, I know that could be for a number of reasons.
But does anyone know how stringent the requirements are for pre-accreditation for new DO schools?
If a school has preliminary accreditation - is it safe to say that it will make it to full accreditation?

Depends on the school, and how well it can maintain itself. It is almost always better to choose an established school over a new one. However, CUSOM at my interview told us how they did not fail or have any deficiencies in ANY portion when COCA came to inspect the school this year.

If a school had some minor areas to fix do you think that would be cause for alarm?

If it is minor, then it should be fine, but then again, I'm not an expert on COCA accreditation.

Just out of curiosity, what are y0u going to do with said information?

If a school had some minor areas to fix do you think that would be cause for alarm?

I have yet to see a report regarding any violations of Coca accredi standard violoations. Lcme requires not only their own announcement of schools on probabtion but the school must let all students know of the event and the possible effect it may lead to such as transfer to another accredited school.

Depends on the school, and how well it can maintain itself. It is almost always better to choose an established school over a new one. However, CUSOM at my interview told us how they did not fail or have any deficiencies in ANY portion when COCA came to inspect the school this year.

Yeah CUSOM seems to have all its marbles lined up. I have seen nothing but pretty solid reports.

When new schools emerge most of us know they only have 'partial' accreditation for a limited time until they qualify for permanent accreditation. What some people may not know, however, if that new medical schools have to deposit a large sum of money into an escrow account just in case something happens and the school fails. These escrow accounts are in the upward millions, some $30million+ ( I am not sure if the amount is set or if it just has a minimum requirement.) at times. They are used to reimburse the students of the "failed" medical school and also to help students move to another medical school location to finish out their education. Students should never worry about a new school failing, I think that only one school has ever had an issue with obtaining full accreditation, but then again I could be wrong..it is basically unheard of, though.

CNU notwithstanding, the criteria for COCA is not as rigorous as those of the MD schools. For example, COCA doesn't give a rat's ass about research and scientific inquiry.

I have noticed that they have actually improved over the past few years, believe it or not.

And yes, COCA has no impetus to approve a school with preliminary and then watch it fail. When I interview for a Faculty job at MUCOM, I was surprised at the hoops they had to jump through for COCA, compared to when my own school started.

It seems a lot of people get nervous that schools have "preliminary" status, but it's a stepping stone, not a barrier.

So yes, we all know that DO schools are popping up like weeds, however, I know that could be for a number of reasons.
But does anyone know how stringent the requirements are for pre-accreditation for new DO schools?
If a school has preliminary accreditation - is it safe to say that it will make it to full accreditation?