How Salvageable is my Convoluted Situation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JWLeo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN community,

This is my first post, though I have been lurking on this website for some time. I hope all of you can help me unravel my current situation, and give me some direction.

I'm a fourth year student with Junior standing at the University of California, Davis, which is considered a fairly competitive school. The reason why I have Junior standing is because my journey has been littered with bumps. First, I would like to give you some of my stats before explaining my scenario.

I'm a Biological Sciences major.
Cumulative GPA: 3.129
Science GPA: 2.70

General Chemistry A: F
General Chemistry A [repeat]: A-
General Chemistry B: C+
General Chemistry C: C

Organic Chemistry A: C- (C-'s CANNOT BE REPEATED AT MY UNIVERSITY)

Intro Biology A: A-
Intro Biology B: C+
Intro Biology C: B

Complications:
1) My first quarter ever was simply me not knowing what the hell I was doing, and I failed General Chemistry A, but made it up
2) Had to withdraw once due to providing for a family member who attempted suicide and would only interact with me
3) Had to withdraw a second time due to my father having a manic/religious delusional breakdown, which required me to get law enforcement and an attorney involved
[My time withdrawn from university totals to 1 year]

While events 2 and 3 were very taxing, I was not able to stay withdrawn from the university as long as I needed for recuperation, because my financial aid package would have been revoked. So I returned at times where I was still "cleaning up the fallout;" needing to help others episodically, and working on my own well-being. This is reflected in the grade fluctuations above. Simply said, it's been very hard to focus. And being in and out of university has broken my momentum with the harder classes like the sciences.

However, I recognize that everyone has difficulties, and that my story isn't an exception. At this point, it seems that even if I got A's in the rest of the curriculum, I'll still end up nowhere close to where I need to be with an unfavorable Science GPA, due to how the numbers average out.

Can I salvage this? How? Or is now the time to start looking into other careers? I have about a year and a half left (4-6 quarters, depending on how you count summer classes), and I'm desperately lost. I feel like I'm teetering on a very delicate edge, without any more room for being budged.

Thank you greatly for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Do well on your upper levels and do above average on your MCAT and retake any classes you have lower than a C in. C- isn't accepted as a pre-req grade.

Reactions: 2 users
How should an individual retake C-'s if their institution does not allow retaking C-'s?

Members don't see this ad :)
How should an individual retake C-'s if their institution does not allow retaking C-'s?
Usually if you find a community college or another university near you then that's your best bet.

Thank you. In your (or anyone else who is reading this) opinion, is my situation as bad as I think it is? I find it to be quite bad, but I'm sure I'm at least a little bit naive.

Nothing is as bad as it seems. Former Aggie here too bud. Had worse grades than you, did a post-bacc and retook really crappy grades, did above average on MCAT, got good clinical experiences, and have 5 ii's thus far to DO programs (with 1 acceptance). If you really want this, you can do it. It's gonna take a little time to get yourself out of the hole you're in, but it's ok. You can do it :) Work on fixing your academic stuff and grades first. Get your MCAT prep and take that and then if you have any clinical stuff you need to work on, then do that. One step at a time!

Reactions: 3 users
Nothing is as bad as it seems. Former Aggie here too bud. Had worse grades than you, did a post-bacc and retook really crappy grades, did above average on MCAT, got good clinical experiences, and have 5 ii's thus far to DO programs (with 1 acceptance). If you really want this, you can do it. It's gonna take a little time to get yourself out of the hole you're in, but it's ok. You can do it :) Work on fixing your academic stuff and grades first. Get your MCAT prep and take that and then if you have any clinical stuff you need to work on, then do that. One step at a time!
Ditto

Thank you. In your (or anyone else who is reading this) opinion, is my situation as bad as I think it is? I find it to be quite bad, but I'm sure I'm at least a little bit naive.
Your situation is not that bad. Retaking 4-5 classes and got A on them can bump you sGPA to 3.2+ and cGPA to 3.3+... Then 26 MCAT (don't know what that would be in the new scale) will put you in a good position...

Reactions: 1 user