How seriously do medical schools look at a class you took at a CC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed2000

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
X

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
That one C shouldn't really matter. If you applied but didn't get in anywhere, it wasn't because of that C. How was your MCAT? Did you apply late? Did you have some academic/legal issue on your record? Did you have an abysmal sGPA?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think it was the C that was keeping you from getting interviews. There is more to this story...

Did you get an interview? Does your personal statement "show" confidence glittered with compassion?

I know from my experience as a nurse, when I was a bit nervous when I first started, it came out of me like a bad odor. When I was confident, I was trusted.

When I went to a premed meeting at my UC, the dean of a med school asked what types of physicians do we want to be. One said, "I want to be a cardio-thoracic surgeon". Did NOT impress the dean at all. At my age, non-trad student here :) that spells "I watched a super cool tv show and that sounded WAY cool". I raised my hand and said, "Family". That impressed him because the world is hurting for them right now.

What are you writing about in your statment? Take a look at that because otherwise, you sound AMAZING!!

really? I've always thought that any GPA above a 3.8 is pretty much in a tier of it's own comparing to people with GPA of below 3.8. I know this isn't the real reason to blame, but I just wonder how much this really factors in. Whether they see my UC cGPA/sGPA being a 3.8/3.8 or the 3.74/3.8 with one course from CC. Plus, I think I've proven myself to be capable of writing with grades no longer than an A- in all writing/English classes at my UC.

You have some other issues going on there. 3.74/34Q and 3.8/34Q are going to be seen as vurtually the same by most adcoms. Im sure its frustrating but the quicker you move away from denial the quicker you can address this...

Your untimely app, your list of schools, and your personal statement are some places I would start...

It isn't a lot. At all. I'm sorry that its a frustrating experoence, but you need to find something else to blame. Like an escape goat.

lol escape goat. i got this image of d b Cooper in goat form leaping from an airplane with a parachute. "you'll never catch me you bahhh-stards!"

So this might sound a little neurotic, but I just wanted some opinions. And please don't take this too seriously, I just needed to rant. I am currently a fourth year at a UC school. Back when I first entered college, there was a writing requirement that we had to satisfy back in high school to be able to take college writing courses. If this isn't satisfied, then students are required to take a "pre-college writing'' course offered by the city college nearby. This is the thing, whatever the grade we get for this class does not factor into our UC GPA, and all students need to pass this course (C or above) to be able to take writing/English courses in college.

Here's the thing, I took this "pre-college writing" course during my freshman year. Because students are only required to pass this class, the professor from the city college gave everyone who passes this course a "C". Now, this does not factor into my UC GPA, but when it comes to AMCAS GPA, it factors into it. I know some people will probably bash on me, but I just want to know how seriously do med schools really take this "C" from a CC?

I did apply this past cycle, but ended up with a very fruitless cycle. Based on my GPA I applied with this cycle, I have a cGPA of 3.74 (with the "C" from city college) when I could have had a GPA of 3.8 (from all UC classes) if this "C" wasn't factored in.

If I were to reapply this coming cycle, I will have an AMCAS cGPA of 3.787 when I could have had a 3.840. If I were to reapply next cycle, I will most likely have an AMCAS cGPA of 3.801 when I could have had a 3.850 without this stupid "C" from the city college.

I guess I am just really disheartened by the fact that all people who passed the course got a "C" from this city college professor, and even though it doesn't factor into my UC GPA, it comes back and bite me by hurting my GPA by almost 0.05points, which is quite a lot IMO.

:scared: